Emily

laurie

680comp_miss_em.jpg

RCN Seeker, lovingly renamed Emily.

Our beautiful girl died four years ago tonight. She ran into our sliding glass door and broke her neck. Horrible all by itself, but the fact that it could have been prevented is what I can't get past, even after all the time that's gone by. I've finally forgiven myself (most days), but I will never forget.

Emily was our first greyhound, and the reason we fell in love with the breed. She was just learning to play when she died, and her favorite toy was her stuffed monkey; she was playing with it right before I let her out that night. It still sits in a place where I can see it every day.

If you have plate glass in your home, please put stickers or tape on it, especially if you have a new hound--it may save his or her life.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest guinness_the_greyt

She was so beautiful! :grouphug

My Guinness ran through the sliding glass door when I first got him... I will always have tape on my slider from now on. I guess I never realized how very lucky I was with Guinn not getting hurt. :sad1

Guest ZBippy

I am so sorry about your Emily. I read your post about her last year and it made a big impression on me.

I have put post-its on my sliding glass door and, when I let any dogs out, I stick a kitchen chair in front of it. They seem to see the chair better than the post-its when they are outside.

{{{{{{{{{{laurie}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

God bless you as you remember your precious girl, as always. Her story has saved numerous greys all over the world.

Guest shanab

This is a wake up call for a lot of grey owners/dog owners. Thank you for your post and I know it's heartbreaking but you will be helping others with this post and I hope that takes away some more of your pain.

Edited by shanab

I remember :grouphug

In Emily's honor...my sliding glass door...

IMG_1934.jpg

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'm so sorry for the tragic loss of your beautiful Emily :cry1

we have tape on our sliding doors because of what happened to her, hearing here how by doing that may save a life....

:bighug:bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest jettcricket

....Yes, I remember reading about your pretty girl Emily and feeling so awfully sad about what happened to her. I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like for you and your family. I tell all adopters to please, please if you have glass sliders or a glass door, put something on it to try avoiding something like this happening. :(

Guest rsqdogsmom

I am so sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your beautiful Emily.

A few months ago I saw these things called 'clings' which are jelly-like soft plastic shapes that stay on windows and doors by static cling.I wondered what they would be used for besides decoration. Now I know. :(

Thank you for sharing this information. I know it has helped prevent more tragic situations like yours.

I remember that day. :grouphug Such a beautiful Angel. :angelwings

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Gogh4It

I know how you feel, I still feel guilty for Sadie-Grey's death & that was 7 yrs ago.

But you & Amanda have given all of us information about sliding glass doors & large windows. Just the othe day at the adoption kennel, a couple had adopted 2 sisters & they told us about their house...and we were able to tell them to put tape or decals on their doors & large windows because of 2 greyhounds we knew about that had been hurt due to running into the sliding glass door. They were amazed....but very thankful for the information.

Guest VelvetEars

She is never far from our thoughts, Laurie, and I have no doubt that she's watching over you and Joe and your pack.

• 2 weeks later...