Celebrity Grey Owners?

Guest ShebaTheStar

This last Sunday in our paper there was a picture of Owen Wilson in one of the inserts and he was walking a greyhound, well it sure looked like a greyhound to me. It was a tux and stood facing the camera, sure looked like a greyhound. Maybe it was just used for the shot?

I saw that picture too! I thought it was a greyhound too. I just looked him up on imdb.com and it says he has an Australian Cattle dog named Garcia. No mention of a greyhound.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sandypaws
As per Greyhound Adoption of Greater Cincinnati:

Pharoah Tuntankhamen

Pharoah Amenhotep II

Alexander the Great

Merv Griffin

Frederick the Great

Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis

Elizabeth I

Jerry Lewis

James II of England

Dean Martin

Louis XV of France

Leonard Nimoy

General Von Stuben

Jack Palance

Babe Ruth

Frank Sinatra

Al Capone

Ed Sullivan

Bo Derek

Danny Thomas

Jackie Gleason

Betty White

Quite an interesting list if you ask me....

Don't forget Eleanor Plantagenet of Aquitaine......

This last Sunday in our paper there was a picture of Owen Wilson in one of the inserts and he was walking a greyhound, well it sure looked like a greyhound to me. It was a tux and stood facing the camera, sure looked like a greyhound. Maybe it was just used for the shot?

I saw that picture too! I thought it was a greyhound too. I just looked him up on imdb.com and it says he has an Australian Cattle dog named Garcia. No mention of a greyhound.

Cool someone else saw it!

Glad you think so too. Notice the collar wasn't a martingale collar and was wrapped around the neck? Maybe it was a "stand in" dog? Yes I looked at the same site and saw the cattle dog.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

i once saw a picture of orland bloom with what looked like a lurcher :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest moonpuppy

We visited Tony Stewart's race car when it was on display locally last month. I thought he owned greyhounds, but when I googled Tony Stewart racing greyhounds, I came across an article saying that he had adopted out all of his racing greyhounds and was no longer a greyhound owner. Does anyone know if that is true?

An earlier post in this thread had a link to his site, but when I clicked on it, it said it was moved. ? My husband and I attend both Richmond races, and Tony's doctor parks his RV beside us very close to the track. We will see him when we go back in September, so I'll be sure to ask him. We have had several discussions about that, specifically because we have 2 greys.

A reliable source had told me that AR's were writing to Tony Stewart's sponsors and threatening boycotts, so the sponsors gave Tony an ultimatum; Tony could no longer be publicly associated with racing if he wanted to keep his sponsors.

Does anyone else get the comic strip "Frazz" in their papers? Jef Mallett is the creator, and there's a character, Miss Plainwell, who has a retired racer named "Mario". (She's been depicted using a retractable leash on him...I emailed Mr. Mallett recently and asked him to switch to a regular lead...haven't heard back.)

Anyway...wondered if HE's adopted retired racers?

He has (or had; she'd be really old now if she's still around) a female pup named Schuyler.

Schuyler passed away last year. The final panel of the Frazz strip on 6/11/06 bore a tiny note that read, "Rest well, Schuyler (1990-2006)". I wrote to Jef Mallett and he was kind enough to confirm that he had indeed lost his beloved greyhound.

ALSO, former New York Yankees’ first baseman and current Bench Coach, Don Mattingly, and his wife Kim own several greyhounds. They are members of GPA/Tri-State in Evansville, Indiana, where their farm is located.

Lois

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

So how do we go about getting this to be a "trendy" but permanent thing in Hollywood, cuz once one person starts, it gets the ball rolling for others. The only problem I see is of the people who travel so extensivley for movie/ concert touring. Who would watch their dogs? The dogs would be unhappy with their owners gone so often.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Sniffy

I once read that John Barrymore (he was a movie star from Hollywood's Golden Age and something like the great-great grandfather of Drew Barrymore, you young'uns!) had greyhounds.

Also, in one of Robert Plant's music videos from the 1980's, I remember seeing a greyhound tear across a snow-spatterred slope of land in slow motion....and I think Robert was playing with the grey in one scene. This doesn't mean he owned the grey but maybe he did, if the vid was shot at his own home

So how do we go about getting this to be a "trendy" but permanent thing in Hollywood, cuz once one person starts, it gets the ball rolling for others. The only problem I see is of the people who travel so extensivley for movie/ concert touring. Who would watch their dogs? The dogs would be unhappy with their owners gone so often.

The people in Hollywood/LA are weird. Period. I personally would hate to see greys become trendy with very many of these types.....there are quite a few who live in the moment and their "belongings" are disposable. They are also very into themselves and tend not to want to listen to the "little people", so having a dog with some issues tends to be a problem since they generally think *they* know best. JMHO.

eta: I should add that Jane Wiedlin is not this type of person. When she's had a problem, she's actually listened to our profiler and followed what he said to do.

Edited by greypuppyluv

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Sniffy

I just found the video. There appears to be more than one dog in the video, but the one running during the last minute of this video really seems to be a grey (whether Plant owns him or not!)

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?partner=blin...mp;artist=14245

By the way, I think it's major cool that so many celebs own greys!!

Edited by Sniffy

Does anyone else get the comic strip "Frazz" in their papers? Jef Mallett is the creator, and there's a character, Miss Plainwell, who has a retired racer named "Mario". (She's been depicted using a retractable leash on him...I emailed Mr. Mallett recently and asked him to switch to a regular lead...haven't heard back.)

Anyway...wondered if HE's adopted retired racers?

He has (or had; she'd be really old now if she's still around) a female pup named Schuyler.

Schuyler passed away last year. The final panel of the Frazz strip on 6/11/06 bore a tiny note that read, "Rest well, Schuyler (1990-2006)". I wrote to Jef Mallett and he was kind enough to confirm that he had indeed lost his beloved greyhound.

ALSO, former New York Yankees’ first baseman and current Bench Coach, Don Mattingly, and his wife Kim own several greyhounds. They are members of GPA/Tri-State in Evansville, Indiana, where their farm is located.

Lois

Thanks for the update, Lois! I had noticed that, too, and wondered if that wasn't the case. Wow...15 or 16 yrs old? That's pretty old for a grey, isn't it?

Edited by LisaB

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

I don't know if these people own greyhounds, but they are on the GALT website posing with greyhounds.

Don Gay

8-Time World Champion Bull Rider

-IAMs

I LOVE Donnie Gay. I really miss listening to him do the commentary for bull riding on TV.

"Feet don't fail me now!"

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

The people in Hollywood/LA are weird. Period. I personally would hate to see greys become trendy with very many of these types.....there are quite a few who live in the moment and their "belongings" are disposable. They are also very into themselves and tend not to want to listen to the "little people", so having a dog with some issues tends to be a problem since they generally think *they* know best. JMHO.

eta: I should add that Jane Wiedlin is not this type of person. When she's had a problem, she's actually listened to our profiler and followed what he said to do.

I think it kind of depends on whether the person is a "dog person", too, or just adopting to be trendy - like you said. Jane's obviously a dog person having had the IG before the hound.

I know that one of the celebs mentioned in the prior pages takes his pup (now pup(s) plural, since he's adopted a second) on tour with him. He has someone who helps with walkies and what not....and I think someone here that was in the know posted that the tour bus STOPS when the dog needs to stop! I'd say that's pretty dog friendly! :colgate

As far as "who they stay with when he's gone", I have no idea - all though pet sitters are not unheard of, neither are willing friends, or contacts through the group (I'm pretty sure said celeb did that at least once during the last tour ;) . )

I hear what you are saying, though. BUt I think that happens with your Average Joe, too. "gee, wouldn't having a Greyhound be cool?" and also the "I'll do what I want to do"...Geez, I see that all the time and I've never done a celeb adoption. Yet.

I think it's great.

We need (responsible) people in the spotlight showing the world what great dogs Greyhounds are. :)

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I don't know if these people own greyhounds, but they are on the GALT website posing with greyhounds.

Don Gay

8-Time World Champion Bull Rider

-IAMs

I LOVE Donnie Gay. I really miss listening to him do the commentary for bull riding on TV.

"Feet don't fail me now!"

Don Gay rocked as a commenter!! "Jump back crackjack!!"

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Furrball

The author Jilly Cooper has recently adopted a rescue greyhound called Feather, from a small but wonderful rescue in Ireland called Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary.

Guest TurboBlueRambo2

I remember seeing in Vogue magazine a few years ago that Mick Jaggers daughter has 4?? She lives in Spain but I can't remember her name.

Wish Brad Pitt would have adopted me!!

Guest akcpupontherun
Wish Brad Pitt would have adopted me!!

Nah....he has a reputation of having really bad BO! :sick

Edited by akcpupontherun

WHERE :gmark I wanna see the pic!!!

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I just found the video. There appears to be more than one dog in the video, but the one running during the last minute of this video really seems to be a grey (whether Plant owns him or not!)

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?partner=blin...mp;artist=14245

By the way, I think it's major cool that so many celebs own greys!!

I just watched the video, and I think there's a grey earlier on too -- if you could pause the video, then it'd be easier to confirm.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I am pretty sure that Brad Pitt does NOT have a greyhound. I would have um, heard about it. Just thought I would say. Plus, that picture on page two looks like it is from about 10+ years ago.

Edited by egg

WHERE :gmark I wanna see the pic!!!

it was in a people magazine...it was around six months ago.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Mary Hulman George (family owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway best known for announcing "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN; START YOUR ENGINES") is a huge greyhound supporter.

Also, who is the mystery author with greyhounds? I have read her books but am having a brain-burp and can't recall her name.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Mary Hulman George (family owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway best known for announcing "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN; START YOUR ENGINES") is a huge greyhound supporter.

Also, who is the mystery author with greyhounds? I have read her books but am having a brain-burp and can't recall her name.

Laura Lippman. Or at least she has a greyhound character. Esskay. Books are set in Baltimore.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.