Blackheads And Pimples

Guest atthebeach1972

Guest LynnM

I'm a MAJOR picker... if we have a greyhound in surgery for something, once the vet is done, until he wakes up (the dog not the vet, LOL) I get to work with a hemostat and squeeze the gunk out. The hemostat usually leaves some bruising (of course this is done with owner's permission) but gets EVERYTHING out. It does way better than my thumbnail. Incidentally, we see a lot of dachshunds with belly zits, too ~Lynn

Guest TankDiveGirl

Hank has TONS of blackheads.... He doesn't mind if i pick at them, so i usually do a few a couple times a week... My GF however thinks its gross and yells at me when she catches me doing it!

He absolutely HATES to be wet, so a full bath is out of the question... We DO use a technique i learned grooming horses though, called "hot towelling"...basically you get a bath towel and a bucket of hot (not boiling, but shower hot) water with just a touch of soap, immerse the whole towel in the hot water, wring it as dry as you can get it (**but still hot**), and then gently rub them with it. It brings up all KINDS Of dirt and "scurf". Great stuff. And Hank loves it.

Copper, the foster, has blackheads too, and he doesnt care at all if i pick them. He'll roll over and flip his hindlegs out like "do more! do more!"

And yes, it is oddly satisfying, isnt it?

*hugs*

J

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CarriesMom
When we got Uno she had this patch of what they called"blackheads" on her belly and was told I just had to scrubthe area and they would go away. Well they have not and she gets these whitheaded pimples in the same area. It doesnt bother her at all but I was just wondering if there was anything i could do to get rid of it. I also need to know where I can get some "Hair of the Dog", I tried googling it and got nothing.

Thanks!!!

When we first got Carrie, she had a 4" patch on her chest, and the vet said to put "acne" cream on it and this did the trick. Her hair has even grown back.

CarriesMom

• 1 month later...
Guest racergirl435

Well I'm so glad I found this thread. Our boy Seymour has a little patch probably about 2" on his belly. Our vet said to use benzoyl peroxide. Though I didn't think to use a hot towel. I'll have to try that too. He does like warm things on him when it's cool so that shouldn't be a problem. I can't imagine picking at them though. Eck!

He has started sprouting hair in places he didn't have hair and all his old ratty hair is falling out and his new softer coat is coming in. This boy is so handsome it's heart melting. :) And oh, does he love to be groomed with the zoom groom.

Guest albrodie
:puke:wacko: you guys are gross. thank god suzie and zoe don't have pimples. i have enough of my own to deal with. when i was a teenager i couldn't wait to get older so they would go away. yeah right!! ive got those and am getting wrinkles too!!!!!!!!!

Guest greysonly
I LOVE to squeeze blackheads. Maybe people would pay me for my squeezing services.

I take a baby wipe and wipe down the area then get to work. My dogs don't mind a bit. Actually, I don't have to do it anymore because the squeezable ones are all gone. I use my thumbnails and work the gunk out. Its oddly satisfying.

Oh and what comes out isn't gross. Its like a black crusty speck. It isn't smelly or oozy or anything.

:nod Are we weird or what? :lol

I am weird too I like squeezing them too. :lol Jazz is the only one that gets them Marley is blackhead free.

Biore didn't work for me.. but baby oil works wonders. Just rub it in well, leave for a little while, and use a terry towel to rub the blackheads off.

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest CindyMessmore

I love to squeeze the blackheads. I agree, its strangely satisfying. Actually the dogs love the attention, and the belly rubs that go with it. My DH thinks its not normal... little does he know!

• 10 months later...
Guest LancePearson
I guess I am in the minority here--Calvin's went away with nothing but a nice warm bath every 3 weeks or so. No, yuck, squeezing required :) Actually, my vet told me never to try it, because of the possibility of infections.

Kate occasionally gets what I'd call a pimple on one or both of her inner thighs where she has virtually no hair. When she does if I see it I just use a warm cloth to break it then wash it off then put NeoSporin on it and by the morning it is gone.

That NeoSporin or MultiSporin for humans is excellent stuff for just about any skin cut or blister or pimple that's been opened up on Kate.

Lance

all know is the "stuff" that comes out is icky and stinky. But prefer to get it out. When I use to have fosters I would do the warm towel. squeeze, then clense are with witch hazel. Takes a while but they look so much better with out the icky black bellie.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

• 8 months later...