Blackheads And Pimples

Guest atthebeach1972

Guest atthebeach1972

When we got Uno she had this patch of what they called"blackheads" on her belly and was told I just had to scrubthe area and they would go away. Well they have not and she gets these whitheaded pimples in the same area. It doesnt bother her at all but I was just wondering if there was anything i could do to get rid of it. I also need to know where I can get some "Hair of the Dog", I tried googling it and got nothing.

Thanks!!!

Guest KennelMom

place a warm washcloth on the area for a few minutes and then squeeze away. Stella would et me squish her blackheads for hours...which is good b/c she is very prone to them! Not so bad now that she's been off the track for so long.

What is "Hair of the Dog?" If you need some dog hair, I have plenty to send you with shedding season upon us! :lol :lol

Guest DoofBert

It does take some time... how long has Uno been in your home? Perhaps with a continued 'attack', the blackheads will go away. In addition, she is probably enjoying a different diet now that she is retired. That might have something to do with it as well.

Let us know how long she's been inyour home.

Ditto Kennelmom!

Orion still has a few lingering ones on his tummy. I actually feel it's a greyt bonding experience... if they trust you enough to touch their belly, they'll trust you for anything :) Orion actually falls asleep when I'm picking at his.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jettcricket

My female has a small patch on her belly too. I've tried to gently squeeze, but nothing comes out. They are so thin skinned that I don't want to hurt her as Cricket is a major Drama Queen. I'll use a warm wash cloth and try again.

Guest atthebeach1972

EEEEWWWW you guys, I don't think I could do that :puke ,!! I'm scared at what'll come out!! She has a lot,too! It's a patch the size of my hand. Anyway we've had her about 3 months.

"Hair of the Dog" is some sort of supplement you give your dog for skin ailments, baldness and sorts.

I don't need any extra hair in this house, Uno and Skoochie are enough, not to mention my shower drain sometimes.

Guest Bester
I'm always careful of the whiteheads-- Tigger's often get infected.

Popcorn has several large patches of blackheads on his belly. I just put a warm compress on them for a bit and then squeeze away. He has had several that have gotten infected but I don't know if that was because of me squeezing or something else.

Because I'd been squeezing on a regular basis, I did notice when the tumour came up on Popcorn's chest. It started out like a regular blackhead and then progressed rapidly from there. This one was caught while still in stage one but he does have the beginnings of several more in the same area. If I hadn't been squeezing.... I might not have noticed them.

Guest PDogs_Mom

I LOVE to squeeze blackheads. Maybe people would pay me for my squeezing services.

I take a baby wipe and wipe down the area then get to work. My dogs don't mind a bit. Actually, I don't have to do it anymore because the squeezable ones are all gone. I use my thumbnails and work the gunk out. Its oddly satisfying.

Oh and what comes out isn't gross. Its like a black crusty speck. It isn't smelly or oozy or anything.

Guest maryjo79
EEEEWWWW you guys, I don't think I could do that :puke ,!! I'm scared at what'll come out!! She has a lot,too! It's a patch the size of my hand. Anyway we've had her about 3 months.

"Hair of the Dog" is some sort of supplement you give your dog for skin ailments, baldness and sorts.

I don't need any extra hair in this house, Uno and Skoochie are enough, not to mention my shower drain sometimes.

Hair of the dog works for dandruff, dry skin, all sorts of things.... that's why we started Spud on it, but it makes them nice and shiney soft and the hair is starting to grow in too so we're happy :colgate

Payton had a huge patch on his stomach, about the size of both of my hands. He used to tolerate me squeezing them, but now he gets all growly and snappy when I go near them....so I guess they're staying.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest atthebeach1972

OK, Just ordered my "Hair of the dog"( Thanks Maryjo,) got down on the floor with Uno to check out her patch and she let me for a few minutes and gruffed at me so, now I'm mad at her. I doubt she'll let me touch them, now.

Guest KennelMom
I LOVE to squeeze blackheads. Maybe people would pay me for my squeezing services.

I take a baby wipe and wipe down the area then get to work. My dogs don't mind a bit. Actually, I don't have to do it anymore because the squeezable ones are all gone. I use my thumbnails and work the gunk out. Its oddly satisfying.

Oh and what comes out isn't gross. Its like a black crusty speck. It isn't smelly or oozy or anything.

:nod Are we weird or what? :lol

my adoption director said she heard that biore strips work well

Ouch! I wouldn't use those. I'd be afraid they'd tear their delicate skin!

Guest jettcricket

Oh, yeah, that's a thought...hmmm. Thanks for the idea.

:nod Are we weird or what? :lol

Ouch! I wouldn't use those. I'd be afraid they'd tear their delicate skin!

Do you think? Are they that tough to pull off?

Guest DoofBert

Try a warm compress...lay it on their entire belly....soothing, relaxing warmth.... let it sit for as long as possible. Then wipe the area.... don't scrub too hard.....if you don't like the idea of 'squeezing' or 'popping', dont do it. But watch that warm cloth - you WILL see black heads come out of their own accord when you gently scrub.

Forget the biore strips...too expensive and will possibly hurt the skin (leading to vet bills).. The warm compresses work (plain old wash cloth works fine, but baby wipes also nice! Try warming in microwave for 30 seconds.....

I had foster with large blackhead patch..it took some time, but did show considerable improvement in a few days.

Edited by DoofBert

I love to pick at Effie's spot too - I thought I was the only one! Effie HATES me to pick at it, though, and she's to the point now where if I touch it, even in play, she violently flips over and stands up so that I can't pick at her.

I am not very religious on the using of the compresses & pimple stuff, so while it hasn't gotten worse, it hasn't gotten better either. It doesn't bug her though - unless I'm picking at it!

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

Guest dorrie

I guess I am in the minority here--Calvin's went away with nothing but a nice warm bath every 3 weeks or so. No, yuck, squeezing required :) Actually, my vet told me never to try it, because of the possibility of infections.

Guest SquanHound

I actually tried the Biore strips - not worth it. It doesn't hurt the skin, but it didn't really pull a whole lot out of the pores either. I can only speak of Ping's blackheads, but they are much larger than a human blackhead and so the biore isn't really well suited. I second the warm compress and squeeze method.

I just let Joe's blackheads be. Because really, they don't bother him and he's not going to be entering in any beauty pagents any time soon anyway, so I just let them be.

Hair of the Dog did nothing to help Joe's coat or hairlessness. We've had a better luck with getting shine and softness with just straight up fish oil. If anyone wants to buy half a bucket of HotD on the cheap, let me know! :)

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Memphis is my blackhead boy... I do the warm compress and the squeeze away... He loves it and Brooklyn gets jealous! hahaha

Guest atthebeach1972
I just let Joe's blackheads be. Because really, they don't bother him and he's not going to be entering in any beauty pagents any time soon anyway, so I just let them be.

Hair of the Dog did nothing to help Joe's coat or hairlessness. We've had a better luck with getting shine and softness with just straight up fish oil. If anyone wants to buy half a bucket of HotD on the cheap, let me know! :)

Now you tell me...I'll be recieving my shipment of hotd in a few days..it better work!!

Guest RubyMom

Ruby had a nice solid patch on her belly when we got her also. I was told they were due to the track using shredded newspaper to pad their kennels. Anyhow I almost have them completely gone. Once a week or so I do pick at them. It doesn't seem to hurt her and they don't seem to come back if you keep the area clean. Our vet told us to use witch hazel as an astrigent to clean out the pores. She also gets them between her back legs sometimes. From her belly all the way back between her legs is hairless - I just try to keep her clean.

I agree though there is something satisfying about picking at them! :blink: