Second Christmas Without Joe

Forevermybabies

It appears that life does go on. Joe was our first greyhound, and was with us nearly 9 years. I found GT when Joe was very sick with the cancer that took him, and I've been grateful ever since for the support and caring and mostly, for the understanding, that I received from the people on this board.

It's been one year and four months since Joe died, and we are just now starting to be able to talk about him, the things he did, and how we felt about him. It's been a long, hard road to travel, trying to drive around the potholes of hurt, and finally they are filling in a bit, and we are testing to see how much weight we can lay down before things get too rough.

16825830.jpg

Here's our Christmas picture of Michael and the kids with Joe in 1996, the Christmas when I was too sick and awful looking to be in the picture. I took it, so looking at it reminds me of all the feelings of Christmas. Joe standing there looking so young and beautiful and the kids so little and happy. He sure was little, wasn't he?

In some ways it was a simpler time, and a time when we just didn't know what we had in Joe. We found out when we lost him.

So, anyway, hugs your dogs, your kids, and your loved ones.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

He DOES look very little...and very beautiful! It's wonderful to remember those that have touched our lives...this is such a greyt forum because it allows us all to talk about our feelings in an environment in which we know that others will understand...hugs to you and your family and everyone else out there too :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What a lovely picture.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

• 2 weeks later...

I thank God everyday that passes, that my two senior greys are still with me.....I know the day will come that I will have to say good bye to Duke and Scotch...I don't know how my husband and I will be able to handle it...we have no children, and our hounds are like our kids in a way. He brought this subject up just a few days ago and almost got teary-eyed just talking about it.

I am so sorry about Joe, but glad that it is getting a little better now.

Edited by marnie