2006 Aaha Canine Vaccine Guidelines

Guest Joanne33

I do not give my greys the Lyme vaccine. My girl Skylar had a very bad reaction to it 2 years ago. She was lathargic, could hardly hold her head up and was very sore in her shoulder. I think it was a bad batch, because my vet said other dogs had the same reaction. I now refuse to give them that vaccine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The corona vaccine is not one that I personally recommend. When they tried to research the efficacy of the vaccine they couldn't tell b/c they had a hard time making the unvaccinated dogs sick with the virus! : )

We use a 3 year protocol for Distemper. If Leptospirosis is endemic in your area, that vaccine needs to be given annually. Bordatella is another vaccine that if your pets are at risk needs to be given every 6-12 months.

I don't titer my own pups due to the inaccuracy of hte test. Many false negative test results and some false positives. In theory the titers are the best thing... in practice it just doesn't work out.

In 10 years maybe we will discover that dogs don't need a booster after 18 months... but right now we don't know that so a protocol like that is risky. Maybe they will be fine... maybe they won't. We just don't know.

If your vet vaccinates annually... you can still have your pups vaccinated on a q 3 year schedule if you request it. You are hte owner and ultimately you dicatate how your pet is treated. Having said that... this is a decision that you should reach after having discussed it with your vet.

We don't live in a Lyme endemic area so I would leave vaccine comments to those vets that do. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of dogs I've given Lyme vaccine to but we haven't had any problems.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

But I WISH he'd switch to the three-yr protocol

If your vet vaccinates annually... you can still have your pups vaccinated on a q 3 year schedule if you request it. You are hte owner and ultimately you dicatate how your pet is treated. Having said that... this is a decision that you should reach after having discussed it with your vet.

Yes, as the owner I'd say--no vaccines and if they vaccinate anyway, I'd pitch a fit and I don't care how good the vet is, I'd not go back. My vets have never given me a problem. Of course, A&M was one of the first to recommend the 3 year schedule, so that could have something to do with it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Have not seen the 2007 recommendations yet. Will post when I see/find them :)

On the tick list they talk about the lyme vaccine and are very against it.

I've heard the efficacy rate is something like 60% (could not even begin to tell you from where I heard that number). Turbo got the lyme vax when I first adopted him, but hasn't had it since.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Interesting about Bordatella. My vet is not a big believer in the Bordatella vaccine as he the number of resistant strains just keeps increasing so it works on half of them or less, but he'll gladly give it upon request. When Poodle's groomer moved to a vet practice in another city they required it for grooming so he got it. That vet only did the injections on adult dogs once a year. He said they lasted longer and were more effective than the nasal. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest deanna

what are the reasons to NOT give corona? did i read on here that some sighthounds have an allergic reaction to it?

banjo got a round of vaxs about 7 months ago a nearly died of an allergic reaction. didn't know which vax it was from though...any thoughts?

Guest LynnM

Corona is, basically, a vaccine in search of a disease. Coronavirus doesn't typicallly affect adults and even in puppies isn't too severe.

• 1 month later...

Regarding the lymes, most allergic reactions tend to be from the Lymes vaccinations. Not really sure why, but after working at a vet clinic, once we didn't vaccinate for Lymes for most dogs that had a previous reaction, no more allergic reactions.

• 4 months later...

If your dog ever raced here, they had a corona vaccine, it's required. I gotta say, in the years I've been doing this, I've never seen the slightest reaction to the vacc.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

This is an interesting topic to follow. My vet went to the three year for everything but lepto and lyme for Aero -- I wasn't aware that there were problems with the lyme vaccine and a lyme vaccine made sense since we live (and walk) in a heavily wooded area.

What is the protocol for puppies, once they have their initial batch of shots? Three years?

So far, no one has had a negative reaction to the lyme vaccine, but it's disappointing to read that it is ineffective.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

The current vet (which at that practice always seems to be changing now, no one stays very long) will NOT budge from a 1 year vacc protocol-- including rabies, distemper, etc. I understand that Lyme and Lepto need to be yearly, but not everything. This past spring when I refused to revaccinate (they had been vaccinated the previous spring) I got a long "irresponsible owner" talk from the vet that made me feel like an abusive POS that was neglecting my animals. :blink: And then I told him 'No' about the Lyme as well. Yes, Lyme causes problems, but I did the vaccination on Sebau, she still got sick, and very sick immediately after the vaccine. I'll not give it to my other dogs, or to her again.

The old vet, who retired and sold his practice the other year used the 3 year protocol, and one of the things we discussed was Lyme. Even though it's prevalent, he had a lot of issues w/ the vaccine, enough that he said he really couldn't recommend it, but to just be very sensitive to the symptoms of Lyme, so if necessary, we could start a course of doxy. I really miss him. He could be gruff at times, but was a great guy. I'll never forget being in a panic when Sebau was young, had been spayed, and managed to rip out her stitches. it was a Sunday morning, and I called him. I drove her to his house (which had a small secondary clinic in it) and he fixed her up right away.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

• 2 months later...
This is an interesting topic to follow. My vet went to the three year for everything but lepto and lyme for Aero -- I wasn't aware that there were problems with the lyme vaccine and a lyme vaccine made sense since we live (and walk) in a heavily wooded area.

What is the protocol for puppies, once they have their initial batch of shots? Three years?

So far, no one has had a negative reaction to the lyme vaccine, but it's disappointing to read that it is ineffective.

My understanding is once they have completed their puppy series they should have the one year "booster" shots then go to three year.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

We do not do Lyme down here, however we all need to be very aware of the many symptoms of tick diseases.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had this conversation with a board certified Internist 4 weeks ago and his recommendation was to:

1. Titer is you can afford it and only vaccinate when indicated

2. Vaccinate for distemper and hepatitis no more than every 3 years if you can't afford to titer

3. Only vaccinate for Leptospirosis if there have been confirmed cases in your area

4. Follow the law in your area as far as rabies is concerned

He also stated that he has 3 house cats that have never been vaccinated. As an interesting side note, while still in Vet school, he diagnosed his first case of Lepto in a pocket Yorkie who had NEVER touched the ground outside of a house, "so unless an infected mouse peed in the dog's water bowl", the source of the Lepto was a mystery. (His words, not mine.)

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We gave our Tucker the Lyme vaccine when he was 2 or 3. He lived a life with odd health problems and had a couple of major stroke-like events. He eventually died from glomerularnephritis at age 10 -- and had a Lyme titer of about 100,000 despite frequent antibiotics to keep the Lyme titer down.

I'll never give that vaccine again.

Marcia

• 6 months later...
I did bordatella before Sandy Paws for Huston & Mizzy. I'm sticking to every 3 years or none over 8

I'm seeing the every three years on the protocol, but I'm not seeing anything special about seniors on there. Am I missing something?

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.