2006 Aaha Canine Vaccine Guidelines

I think it's important to print out at least pages 4-9, read them & discuss them with your vet.

Basically they are recommending every 3 years for boosters after 1 year of age. Interesting--they do not recommend the carona vaccine at all (I know my vets don't give it). Rabies every three years with three year vaccine and of course, that depends on state & local laws. Lyme--only in high infested areas.

Vaccine Guidelines

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do titers, more expensive though.

Lets discuss Lymes vaccine. If there is a cure for lyme is it worth it to get the vaccine?

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

My vet tried to get me to stay with the vaccine and I did not want to. He said a new study shows that a if a tick bites the dog the vaccine kills the virus inside the tick. I "think" that is how he explained it. Still I didn t bite and did another test that showed that my tick prevention works. My dogs are not outside all the time and they have a tick collar on or the Frontline, so shy should I get a vaccine?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest DeVon

I've been doing the 3 year protocol with my dogs since Colorado State University suggested it and I discussed it with my vet (back when I was working for him, around 2001 or 2) :)

Guest Greymom

Lets discuss Lymes vaccine. If there is a cure for lyme is it worth it to get the vaccine?

My vet in NJ is no longer recommending or giving the lyme vaccine. We live in a area where there is a lyme epidemic. He's had too many dogs who had the lyme vaccine get the lyme disease. He said it's easier to treat the dog rather than inject with a vaccine that isn't preventing it. Just his :2c .

Exactly what we have been doing for a few years now. My vet also does not recommend corona. We do still do the inhaled bordatella every 6 months.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I've been trying to remember what my vet said last time... is it the Corona that they no longer give routinely because of a histamine reaction in some sighthounds?

(Now I'm thinking of beer! :lol And, it's not even 2pm! :P )

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

My vet in NJ is no longer recommending or giving the lyme vaccine. We live in a area where there is a lyme epidemic. He's had too many dogs who had the lyme vaccine get the lyme disease. He said it's easier to treat the dog rather than inject with a vaccine that isn't preventing it. Just his :2c .

I've always heard the vaccine gives a false-postitive on the titer... so how do you know if they really have it?

Guest DeVon

Forgot to add I also don't do the Lymes vac, although Randy got it at the track this year only because his adoption fell within the 3 month allowance for free vacs if they came due, and the kennel does the lymes vac.

My vet also has the corona added in (DHLPP/C) his standard vaccination, so my dogs have always gotten it, and none of my greyhounds have ever had a reaction to it.

Guest Hattiemae

I've been doing the 3-year schedule since about 2000. I used to do titers for distemper and parvo, but stopped when both my vet and I agreed they weren't all that reliable in showing immunity.

We titer here once a year when they have their heartworm test at their yearly. Rabies every 3 years. Not sure about the lyme...I know that people and dogs can get it around here but we don't spend any time in wooded areas :dunno

My dogs I know had inhaled bordatella vaccine when they were racing but I have never had them get it...if I don't kennel them anywhere do they really need it?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Does it give a false reading on bloodwork or only the snap test?

No it's a false reading on the bloodwork.

My dogs I know had inhaled bordatella vaccine when they were racing but I have never had them get it...if I don't kennel them anywhere do they really need it?

I beleive the practice should be any time you will be around a large gathering of dogs) that is kennels and even events like Dewey, GIG, Sandy Paws, etc...) they should get the vaccine if they haven't had it within 6 months. And it has to be administered 24hrs (or is it 48? I forget) before potential exposure for the vaccine to be effective.

Yes, Snowjay what you said is right. We recommend that dogs get the bord at least 48hrs before boarding. We also tell people that if they take their dogs outside were there maybe other dogs dog parks, large gatherings of dogs, groomers, etc. they should get bord. I believe that it is the canine equelent of Whooping cough.

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest DeVon
I've been doing the 3-year schedule since about 2000. I used to do titers for distemper and parvo, but stopped when both my vet and I agreed they weren't all that reliable in showing immunity.

I remember there being a lengthy discussion on another forum where I posted not too many years ago in regards to titers, and just how reliable they really are. I believe the general consensus was they were NOT that reliable. Personally, I wouldn't titer. I think one of the comparisions given was the theory of two different people getting a flu shot at the same time and then having titers a few months later. Though their titer level may be exactly the same, that does NOT indicate they have the same level of protection. For instance, if one person is much older, has multiple health problems, and has more potential for exposure to the flu, he/she may be more likely to get it.

All of the kids here who show dogs in 4-H have to have the yearly booster on distemper/parvo for their dogs; titers are not accepted. Also, in Kansas, rabies is dictated from county to county according to population and potential to exposure. In my county, rabies is required every 2 years (my vet uses the IMRAB-3 vac), Sedgwick County (where Wichita is and more populated) requires yearly.

Here is very good information that will leave it up to your decision

Vaccinations...Too Many, Too Often?

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html

Edited by Madeara

• 1 month later...

We use two different vets--one for Vix and Marbles, and another for Okie and my Rhemo-man (Rhemmy and Okie were already patients of vet #2 when we adopted them). Vet #1 (Vix and Marbles) went to the three yr. protocol last year. Vet #2 is sticking w/yearly--the only reason we keep going to him is because he's so grey-knowledgeable (he's also our group's vet). But I WISH he'd switch to the three-yr protocol!

Thanks for the link, Diane; it'll give me something to 'speak from' at Okie's appointment on Thursday! (She's due for another kidney work-up and a blood pressure check---fingers and paws crossed!!)

Edited by laurie

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest Leilani

I don't do annual DHLPPs, nor titres. I think it's silly... especially on an older dog. I do rabies every three years... for the rest I do puppy shots (at least four weeks apart and no more than 2 or 3 sets), an 18 months booster, and then one more booster at age four... then no more unless an emergency calls for me to board them- I still can't find a kennel that doesn't require annual shots, and my dog training club does too- right now I can take classes w/my Grey b/c I adopted her recently enough that her "annual shots" are up to date. After that, what a shame that I'd have to do something I consider unhealthy and which is proven pointless in order to enjoy training with my dog.