Remembering Gracie

Guest tammymacb

Guest tammymacb

My husband works for the Department of Natural Resources. His primary position is marine patrol officer. He's a boat cop. However, on one day, for whatever reason, he decided to spend a few hours checking the national forest. He drives around, looking for illegal hunters etc. Instead, he found Gracie.

He came home to get a blanket and water.."What on earth do you need a blanket and water for??" ..he told me he found a dog in the woods. She was too emaciated to stand, she was probably dying and he wanted to pick her up and take her to the shelter. I rode back to the forest with him that day and when I saw her, the tears just rolled down my face. She was a beautiful English Setter, liver and white. She was filthy. I have no idea how long she'd been in the woods. She couldn't stand but her tail thumped when we walked up to her. Her teeth were all broken, I imagine she was used for hunting and spent her life in a pen. I think she probably broke her teeth trying to chew her way out. Oh, she smelled baaaaad..Well we put her into his truck and I told my husband that taking her to the shelter amounted to having her put down. She was too sick and they wouldn't waste their time and resources on a dog who needed months of rehab. We decided to take her immediately to a vet, make her whole again, and find a good home for her.

Of course, that isn't what happened. Oh, we took her to the vet, we brought her home and fed her like a million calories a day. But Gracie was already home. We both loved her dearly. Gracie had lost all of her muscle mass before we found her. I have very few memories of her running and playing. I have memories of her laying in the back yard, in the sunlight, smiling. I know her last time on earth was happy and she knew she was loved.

About a year after we brought Gracie home, she started bleeding. I assumed it was her heat. The vet had been unsure if she'd ever been spayed and told us that she may begin to have cycles as she put on weight. I wasn't terribly concerned but she'd also become increasingly arthritic for a 6 year old ( that was the vets guestimate for an age) so off to the vet we went. I knew she was still to thin, and surgery still probably wasn't an option. As much as we fed her, with the muscle loss, my poor Gracie always looked like a walking skeleton.

Well, a routine vet visit turned into a nightmare. The vet said she was bleeding because of a huge tumor in her vagina and rectum. She said this was another reason why the calories just burned off her. It had grown up and in instead of out, so we had no idea it was there. It was also the reason for her bleeding. We lost her that day, talking to her and petting her as she went off to sleep. A piece of my heart left that day. These memories still bring me to tears. I don't know what happened to Gracie for the first years of her life, but in the end she had lots of food, a warm bed and love. It makes my heart happy to know that but it still seems terribly unfair that her life also ended at the best part.

Months after losing Gracie, we adopted Hannah ( which also means grace) and our love of greyhound has grown and grown. But, it was Gracie who sent me in the direction of rescue. I will always remember her and I will always love her.

Oh dear . . . . those "allergies" are kicking up this morning! What a blessing you were for Gracie. Could you share a picture of her?

Gracie, I'm told the Bridge is just filled with wonderful sunlight and there are acres of soft grass to sunbathe on.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest Greymom

I'm so glad you were there for Gracie. God sent your DH to the forest that day for a reason. I'm glad she knew love, warmth and food before she left this world. Run free sweet girl. Heaven must have needed another Angel. :f_white:grouphug

Guest hamiesmom

I am so sorry. I didn't have enough kleenex to stop the flow of tears. Thank you to you and your family for giving this wonderful, beautiful soul all your love and attention for the last few years of her life and showing her that we, as human beings, are not all bad. God speed and run free. f_yellow

Your home and your love must have been a glimpse of heaven for that poor sweet girl. What a blessing that you and your husband found her in time to give her that and to have your lives enriched forever in return.

:love2:grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest ChrissyB

OMG----What a beautiful tribute to a gift that touched your heart.

It was no accident that DH went to the woods that day, Gracie was calling him and he answered. You have all been blessed by knowing each other if only for a year.

Run free Gracie Girl..............

Guest rsqdogsmom

Bless you and your husband for seeing the inner beauty in a dog whose beauty had stolen. She will be so happy to see you again at the Bridge and won't she be a sight, whole and running!

I know hell has a special room for people like those who treated your Gracie so badly.

I hope they go there soon. :angryfire

Guest jeannejj

I am so sorry for the loss of your Gracie. It's always hard to say goodbye to a beloved friend. You brought love into Gracie's life, and she brought you memories. May they bring you joy and peace.

Run free, sweet Gracie.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

I know Gracie is watching over you and she smiles down upon you...you taught her a most beautiful lesson...LOVE and you loved her enough to end her suffering...and she knows that! Always just a heartbeat away... :grouphug:grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.