I Am Not Getting Shazam's Ashes Back

Guest Angie626

...I wish the weather was nice because I want to plant a little flower bed and make a memorial garden for Shazam. When we had both Shazam and DH's dog Murphy, we got one of those stepping stones and put both of their paw prints in it. I want to put that stone as the center and plant lots of beautiful flowers around it. That will have to be my closure...that's all I can do.

So hurry up sunshine and warm this place up! I need to get my garden going.

Thanks again everyone for you thoughts and suggestions.

I think that is a lovely idea. A beautiful living garden that you can enjoy is a wonderful tribute. When my Sapphire kitty, whom I grew up with, died last August at the age of 20 I did have her cremated and got her ashes back in a little cedar box. But every time I look at the box I think of her last days, and her sickness, and how hard it was to make the decision to put her to sleep, which leads to wondering if I made the right decision.... I'll probably bury the box, or scatter the ashes, or put it away somewhere because it makes me sad. When we get to our new house, I think we'll plant a little garden for her much like yours, and maybe have her portrait done from a picture taken in happier days.

It might also help bring closure for you to have a little memorial service. Light some candles, set out a picture of Shazam and maybe a favorite toy or blanket, and tell her how much you love her and say goodbye to her. That will give you a chance to say to her now what you weren't able to then.

Your flower garden will be a great comfort for you and a place where you can celebrate and remember her life, not her death. Those ashes are not your Shazam. She is in your heart.

:f_red

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tygar

Maybe Shazam didn't wish for you to dwell over her ashes... and wanted you to remember the good times instead...?

I've been able to bury my lost "friends" - and to tell you the truth - I don't go "see" them. When I'm around their graves, I only get sad.

I would rather look at my horses saddle, and remember the time we spent out on a trail - or look at old photos - or my baby Free's collar (she LOVED going for a walk)...

Those are the things that matter. What you lost when you didn't get her ashes back was just her shell. She lives inside of YOU...

Guest Meredith

My grandma has a picture of her 2 dogs (pencil drawings done by my stepmom) hanging in her family room with their collar/tags hanging beneath their respective pictures. Maybe consider doing something like that? Even if you just had an enlargement made of your favorite photo or two, framed that, and created your own memorial wall somewhere.

I'm so sorry this happened!!! You've been through so much, you didn't need this too :(

I have a 3 of my pups ashes here -- but honestly? I really would rather remember them in the pictures I have of them and more importantly my memories....seeing the ashes sitting there makes me more sad most times than anything. It's really just the physical part that's left -- it's not them! The live in my mind and my heart -- as Shazam does and will forever do for you ... :grouphug

your garden sounds like a wonderful tribute, and also something that will bloom and become more beautiful as each day passes -- like your memories of them. The ashes are just physical -- your memories and your love will keep Shazam alive in your heart forever. :wub:

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy to you for this experience.I love all the ideas everyone has and the garden will give you time to silence yourself and watch for her signs. I love that idea. If you are into the universe you can go to www.yourstar.com and buy a star in her name and look up to our beautiful Heaven ,everynight, and actually find her very own star that you can name after her. Just beleive she is watching over you from 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' and one day we will all meet n greet one more time.... I really believe Shazam will send you those signs in that garden. God Bless and we are all here for you day and night. :f_pink

Edited by how888

I can't imagine how much pain you're feeling right now. But the others are right - Shazam is not in her ashes, she is in your heart. Being human, we like to have something to focus on, that's why we like to have our funerals, and keep ashes .. but Shazam herself is free.

When mine died, I was able to bring their ashes home and I do treasure them, but you know what? The other things I did in their memory mean more. I planted a 'Susan' magnolia for Susan, and had a rose named for Jim from this site:

Click

We called it Beautiful James. I see the rose and the magnolia each time I walk out into the garden and these living tributes mean more to me than I can tell you. I'm sure when you're able to make Shazam her garden you will gain comfort from that, too.

Other things you can do - make a little photo album. Have a statuette painted for her from photos (we did that with Susan, too, because her colouring was so unique that I was unable to buy a greyhound which looked like her), make a memory box with things that were special to her, like her collar and tags, a favourite toy, a necklace .. etc.

And talk to her. No matter if people think you're mad. Talk to her out loud, when you're alone and you'll be amazed at how much comfort you'll get from that.

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Gogh4It

""I do, however, have his things, his pictures, and his image in my heart forever. I took some tail hairs, a sprig of fresh sage, and a little stone I found that is shaped like a buffalo (buffaloes are Zuni totems for safe journeys) and put them in a pretty box. I took the box to the top of a hill in the place where Ali was born, and buried it. Almost immediately I felt better, like he'd found his way home"".

This is so sweet...I felt the same when I couldn't take Brogan out to the horse farm, but was able to bury his belongings.

Another thing I thought of & I don't know if this helps either...but with your pup being cremated with others...you're giving them a resting place also.

Edited by Gogh4It

Guest Angie626

I just wanted to thank everyone so much from the bottom of my heart. :heart:heart

Everyone has posted such nice things, and I've received very kind PM's from a lot of people. You all make me feel very fortunate at a time like this to have such wonderful friends.

As an update to the situation... Dr. Couto spoke to the Head of Pathology, and the social worker. Dr. Birchard spoke with the Hospital Administrator who will investigate the incident, and who also graciously agreed to adjust my bill at Dr. Birchard's suggestion.

These doctors are really amazing people. Hopefully none of you ever need a doggie oncologist or a surgeon, but if you do, you can't go wrong with Dr. Couto and Dr. Birchard at OSU.

As for the portion of money that I don't have to use towards Shazam's hospital bill now - I'm going to donate it to charities and cancer research in her name. That is the best way I can think to honor Shazam's memory. Hopefully some good can come out of all that I have lost and Shazam's legacy can live forever!

Thanks again everyone. :bighug

As for the portion of money that I don't have to use towards Shazam's hospital bill now - I'm going to donate it to charities and cancer research in her name. That is the best way I can think to honor Shazam's memory. Hopefully some good can come out of all that I have lost and Shazam's legacy can live forever!

what a wonderful way to honor your baby :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Angie that is wonderful and I think that would mean more to Shaz, knowing that her legacy might help another pup or another momma.

I am a strong believer that our bodies are nothing more than "suitcases" used to carry around the real us, our spirits, personalities etc. You don't need Shazam's ashes because that is not "who she was". I never met Shazam but I know her because of the stories you told and the love that so clear in your posts about her, and I don't even mean the posts made once you knew she was sick, just the regular day to day stuff with you and Pat, and that is what matters, that day in and day out she knew you loved her, her life and yours was happy because you were together. A few crappy days in the hospital, that she would not remember or be aware of, doen''t change that one bit! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY
:wub: I am so sorry....I just tuned into this thread and didn't realize what had happened......I know you just have an empty spot in your heart that aches....I am glad to see you turned all the sadness into a wonderful legacy for Shazam...that donation will most definitely help so many other greys...and Shazam knows that and is looking down upon you smiling...Shazam will live forever within your heart and soul....the garden is just a magnificent tribute and I know Shazam will let you know all is well each time you look outside and smell the fresh flowers in her garden...she's is there...just close your eyes and you will be able to see her...these are my beliefs...the ones that touch you deeply live on forever and you can feel them each day by some little signs like a cold nose pressed on your cheek in the middle of the night and you wake up and feel her, or seeing her run by you in the house and for just a minute a flash of white light you look up and she is telling you she is okay, or when sitting quietly you can feel her pressed up against you on the couch...these things you look for and I am certain Shazam will bless you with her presence forever....my heart and prayers go out to you... Edited by SYMBASMOMMY

Guest Gogh4It
I just wanted to thank everyone so much from the bottom of my heart. :heart:heart

Everyone has posted such nice things, and I've received very kind PM's from a lot of people. You all make me feel very fortunate at a time like this to have such wonderful friends.

As an update to the situation... Dr. Couto spoke to the Head of Pathology, and the social worker. Dr. Birchard spoke with the Hospital Administrator who will investigate the incident, and who also graciously agreed to adjust my bill at Dr. Birchard's suggestion.

These doctors are really amazing people. Hopefully none of you ever need a doggie oncologist or a surgeon, but if you do, you can't go wrong with Dr. Couto and Dr. Birchard at OSU.

Thanks again everyone. :bighug

Oh Angie that is a wonderful gesture. How sweet of the doctors to adjust your bill also, that is so kind. :heart:gh_lay:heart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 4baddogs

No matter where she is, the love that you have for Shazam will always be in your heart. :gh_lay

*Not to hijack this thread, but I know that most of you here don't know Angie in real life. Angie's amazing strength and the way she's held herself together through all of this is something that I have yet to figure out. Whenever we've talked or been together, I'm the one who has walked away in tears! When the days come for my greys to leave this earth, Angie will be one of the first people that I call.

It's very sad and unfortunate that Shazam didn't make it through her surgery, but maybe this last fiasco will be a blessing in disguise and that something will come from the pathology research. Who knows, maybe another animal will be saved by something that was discovered. Shazam truly is an angel and so is her mommy. I love you, my friend. You're an inspiration for all of us.

The idea of a garden in Shazam's honor is wonderful. I did something similar after my Persian kitty, Lily, went to the bridge. The next spring I planted a small Asian Lily garden in her honor. It was several months after she passed, and in a way the wait made it easier. I was able to do it in a more joyful spirit, without so much sadness. So don't despair over the icky weather we've been having lately! By the time it's warm enough, you will be a few steps further from your grief, and able to choose flowers in a better state of mind.

Now, several years later, I always eagerly await my "Lily Garden" poking through the soil....they have started already. :) When Daisy goes, I will have to add some daisies....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.