3 Weeks In A Cast Did Not Help!

Guest lisaluvsgreys

Guest lisaluvsgreys

Three weeks ago I took Bobbie to the Vet to get her toe checked. The Vet diagnosed that she had torn ligaments in her toe. He bandaged her up and sent me away with a $190.00 bill.

Last night I took her in for her follow-up and her toes and paw were all red and swollen! I was so upset! I feel like she went through 3 weeks of exercise restriction and having her paw wrapped for nothing, except for the injury to get worse. To top it off, they put her in another splint with an ace bandage, prescribed her anti-biotics, and sent me home with a $207.00 bill. $60.00 of it was for the ace bandage and splint! :angryfire Why does Vet care have to be so expensive?

The Vet also wants her on total exercise restriction, only to go outside a short distance to potty. This is almost impossible since I have to walk her 25 yards to a nearest patch of grass. She cannot go out in my back yard because she has to walk down a set of stairs to get there. Also, she is not allowed up on the couch, bed, or upstairs in my room. :( She must feel like I have totally rejected her. I am so upset over this situation. :crying I can barely concentrate at work. I just want to be home with her to tell her everything will be all right.

One positive thing about the situation is that she got to see a Greyhound Savvy Vet this time. I take her back next Tuesday for a re-check and to pay the clinic more money! I hope she gets better soon. She is so depressed.

:weep:weep

Does anyone have any experience with torn toe ligaments? I am desperate!

Edited by lisaluvsgreys

Guest EllenEveAndBaz

No experience, just kisses for Bobbie and hope that at least some of the swollen redness was irritation from the cast, not a worsening of the injury. Did the greyhound savvy vet definitely say it was worse? Or does it just look worse? Was she in a splint before, or a real cast?

:(

I'm sorry she's not better yet. I haven't had to deal with it, just wanted to say I'd pray for you all. Hope this treatment works and she's well again soon.

Lori :f_white

Guest lisaluvsgreys
No experience, just kisses for Bobbie and hope that at least some of the swollen redness was irritation from the cast, not a worsening of the injury. Did the greyhound savvy vet definitely say it was worse? Or does it just look worse? Was she in a splint before, or a real cast?

:(

The condition was worse. :( She was in a splint before, and is in one now.

I would like to Thank Everyone for your support. It really means a lot to me.

Lisa, that is terrible! You know when Pharaoh broke his toe, the emergency clinic I took him to used a metal splint and wrapped it. He said you can't cast it and one reason is if it got infected you would never know. I wonder if a metal splint would be better? Lisa, I feel your pain and I know what you are going through.. If Bobbie has a splint on, you can walk her to the area you need to for her to go potty. The splint will stabilize her toe so it won't move around. After the vet wrapped Pharaoh's leg, I went right to the drug store and bought a big roll of cotton and the stuff to wrap it up. I knew I was not going to leave that splint on for 2 or 3 weeks without looking in it. And, I didn't. I unwrapped it after a few days. After a couple of weeks, I started taking it off at night and putting it back on when he got up and started moving around. I feel so bad for you! I know how I would feel if my Greyhounds toe was worse than before! Did your vet tell you that Bobbie can't get up on your bed? After a few days with the splint, Pharaoh started jumping back up on our bed with 3 legs. As long as he was wearing that splint, I let him do it. One other thing Lisa, when I wrapped the splint on Pharaoh, I left the tips of his toenails out so I could lift the bandage and peek up inside. I could barely see but I was able to tell if there was any new swelling. Hang in there!

Edited by 62663

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest lisaluvsgreys
I wonder if a metal splint would be better? Lisa, I feel your pain and I know what you are going through.. If Bobbie has a splint on, you can walk her to the area you need to for her to go potty.

Both times they have used a plastic splint. The first plastic splint, cracked and the tip wore away. I was suprised at the shape it was in because I always put a sock on her foot whenever she went outside to give it extra protection.

At this point I wish I had never taken her to the Vet, and just soaked her foot at home and make her stay off of it.

Good luck....I sure hope the treatment works this time...cause you are sure putting your all in to it.....Keep us posted and well wishes are on there way to you both

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

You cannot imagine how sorry I feel for you and your poor dog.

I understand you so well as I had to go through the "cast topic"

already three times ( two broken legs and one torn ligament). It's

a really frustrating situation, you count the days till the cast will be

taken off and then in your case the foot has gotten worse, that's

incredibly depressing. I keep you in my thoughts. When my dogs

had the cast, I took them out every day, they hopped with three legs

and even got used to it, as the bandaged leg was immobilized they

couldn't use it. We went for 20 minutes in the morning and another

20 minutes in the afternoon, they even pulled on the lead with three

legs. Of course they went on the sofa with their cast, animals adapt

amazingly to those situations. I think if the foot got worse it must be

the fault of your vet. Maybe I would try to get another opinion.

My very best wishes for you, keep us posted.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

The bandage they used for my dogs in all cases was a very light

plaster-like stuff which consisted of layers of hard paper and cotton(no metal at all)

it's called "Robert-Jones" bandage over here in Spain, do your vets

use this in the US?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Prayers and hugs for Bobbie. :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest lisaluvsgreys
I think if the foot got worse it must be

the fault of your vet. Maybe I would try to get another opinion.

That has crossed my mind several times.

Guest Iberia's Mom

I was thinking the same thing... Maybe it was wrapped too tightly or should have been removed periodically to allow air circulation? The antibiotics they gave makes it sound like there was infection; also the redness and swelling. A second opinion (I know, more money...) may be in order... Are there any veterinary websites where you can post questions for vets, like there are for people and doctors?

Guest Diane, Dusty and Jess

No advice, but I can sympathize. We got Jess 4 months ago. She was retired from racing due to a leg break. She had been in a cast for 3 months at the adoption center of the track and I got her when the cast was removed. There were some little sores on the leg but they assured me all was well. Well, we noticed right away that she wouldn't leave the leg alone, she kept gnawing at it and licking it and bitter apple did not help. We took her to our vet who prescribed antibiotics and special cleansers and creams. He bandaged the area and showed us how to bandage it at home which we did ( and still do) daily. We keep going back for rechecks and are trying so hard to do everything right. After 4 months and I don't know how many dollars later, NO IMPROVEMENT. I could cry I'm so discouraged. On top of that, she just hurt another paw (see my other post) so she's back on antibiotics and has to have 2 legs bandaged daily. On top of that, it snowed this week so I have to wrap the legs in bags for our outings which is a hassle. There are worse problems in this world of ourse, but I feel absolutley drained right now.

Guest lisaluvsgreys
There are worse problems in this world of ourse, but I feel absolutley drained right now.

That is what I keep telling myself too. Hang in there! I hope Jess gets well soon!

Again, Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts! It is really helping me keep me sane during this time.

Edited by lisaluvsgreys

Guest lisaluvsgreys

The original Vet that saw Bobbie called me this morning and asked that I bring her back in no charge. He was very understanding and is going to keep Bobbie with him today, to find out exactly what is going on. He said he might end up putting a hard cast on her. My fingers are crossed that she will be fine soon.

• 5 years later...
Guest jg_consult

We had a foster with a broken hock. The hardware screws in the plate started to come out. Same kind of problem you are describing - some sore spots and the foster kept worrying and worrying at the leg, licking and biting at it.

Has your vet done an x-ray to check that the pins and hardware are still okay?