Lady - Beagle X Husky

Guest Zophia

Guest Zophia

Was her dad an ambitious beagle? Or her mom a Siberian Hussy? Either way you look at it, they made some darn cute doggies! And I got the cutest one of the bunch. :wub: The only long hair puppy they had. She grew into quite the beautiful little dog - the size and coloring of the beagle. And almost the ears, too - they ended up just a little too small to flop over... but too darn big to fit her little head! :lol More often than not she held them off to the side, like a cow's... *smile* But she had the shape and all the glorious fur of her husky mom!!

*sigh* I call it glorious now, but I can't count the number of times I swore over the little fur-devils that were _always_ all over the house.

Lady was _my_ first dog. We had family dogs growing up, but she was the first that was just mine. I brought Lady home at time I probably shouldn't have - during a major bad phase of the abuse I was getting from my daughter's father, and not long after I found out I was pregnant. But she was an island in all that pain; love where there was none. And caring for her got me through almost nine months of alternating between being told that I had to give up the baby, or that we were going to keep it. She was also there through getting out of that, and after we left and I was going through the early stages of living again.

Once the two of us got through that, we had a good life. She was the best dog in the world. Well, ok, except for her propensity to get into and eat anything she could get her mouth on... :rolleyes: We actually had to get a crate and train her to it because of that, so she wouldn't get into something that could hurt her. I will never forget the absolutely most beautiful little pair of white satin Mary Jane's with a bit of lace and a tiny little pink bow, that were my infant daughter's, that I came home to find she'd eaten... :angry: Or the diapers! Oh, gods, those were the worst!!!!! Ugh!! :puke

My little girl even went out one night, when we lived with my folks for a while after coming home from the abuse, and did a _perfect_ hunting dog point through the railing of the deck at some guy skalking around in the back yard, and then chased him off the property. I was so proud of her!

Lady is the only dog my mother has ever really liked. Even said one day that if she ever "had to have" a dog again, she'd want one like Lady. That's high praise from her!

Lady loved everyone, and everyone loved Lady. And she taught all of us about "fuzzy therapy." That is her legacy.

My poor girl has been showing her age more and more with each passing day, since about April. She started to lose weight despite all the food and treats we gave her. Her mental faculties have been failing for longer than that. Her hearing and eyesight were both almost gone. She had arthritis, and degenerative nerve disease, chronic ear infections, tumors on her eyelids, and had lost control of her bladder. Recently she developed an aural hematoma in the flap of one of her oversized ears that caused it to swell and hang down. :( Upon close examination earlier this week I noticed she also had new lumps on the sides of her head. :(:(

On Thursday of this week, Lady started suffering occasional loss of use of her back legs. I made the decision to not let her suffer any longer, and called the vet to make an appointment for her. The earliest they had was middle of this coming week.

This morning, my baby could barely stand, and she refused food for the first time in her entire life. This is, as I mentioned, the dog that would eat absolutely _everything_ in her path. I even used the last of the boys' chicken flavored Iams Savory Sauce that Frankie got from his Secret Santa and some warm water to make a gravy, and she still wouldn't eat it. She picked up a piece or two, but they just sort of fell out of her mouth on to the floor. :( When I took her outside to go potty, she wobbled and stumbled around in clockwise circles. And her urine was a dark, dark brown......

I called the vet again after we came back in. And while on the phone, my sweet girl let out the most horrific scream you have ever heard, which was followed by... well.... I won't disgust you all.... I'll just say there is no way to save her bedding. I took her outside to her run for just long enough to clean out her crate.

Lady died not long after. I got to hold her face in my hands and look into those empty eyes and tell her that I love her, and that my daughter and housemate love her and wish they could be here for her. And then she was gone.

I love you, Lady. I will never forget you or all that you have taught me. I know you are no longer in pain, and I am thankful for that. And I am grateful for all the years we had together.

Run free, baby. Our paths part for now, but are sure to cross again someday. May Dog guide you on the next phase of your journey. :angelwings

lady-fav.jpgLady-at-b-bash.jpg

power-of-3.jpg

gnew-10.jpg

And if you can stand it....

This morning....

I am so sorry. Run free sweetie. Your beauty graces the heavens...you will be sadly missed. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Lady was gorgeous!!! I think she came into your life at the right time! :wub: (I just love her ears!)

I am so sorry for you loss.... :grouphug

Godspeed Lady!

I am so sorry for your loss. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm very sorry for your loss of beautiful Lady. What a faithful and loving companion she was. :beatheart May you always feel her loving spirit in your heart, where love lives on forever. She is whole again at the Bridge, watching out for you from a new vantage point. Godspeed, little Lady... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

That was a beautiful tribute.... Please remember her at her finest hour, and not in pain, she'd want it that way.... You were both lucky to have had each other :grouphug If you need to talk please PM me.

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest argolola

I'm crying with you as I read your tribute to the beautiful Lady. May God bless you and dry your tears. Please take comfort in knowing that you gave her a wonderful life.

Guest shanab

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful Lady. She lived a wonderful life and you were so lucky to have had the time with her. Believe me, we all understand your pain here and the love you've experienced. Anytime you need to talk, we're all here for you. Believe me, the pain comes and goes but the best part is the memory you will always have.

Guest LindaSch

I'm so sorry to hear about Lady. She was a beautiful girl! Lady has met some wonderful friends at the Bridge and is running and playing again. You are in my thoughts.