Emmy

MilliesMom

I heard a sound a little after 2 this morning. I rushed to the door because a year nearly to this day, we found Sabu, one of our cats, dead from a heart attack when a dog attempted to maul her. Unbelievably, when I opened the door early this morning, I heard a dog growling and what looked to be a rag doll. It was standing over one of Sabu's daughters in the driveway. It ran away when I opened the door, Emmy was gone. Dead in the driveway. She, like her mother, had been killed on the last Saturday of February.

How could this have happened, again???

Sabu was a little stray who'd given birth after her first heat. She'd had 2 girls and a boy and had hid them from us. We gave Blue Boy away and had kept M & M (Emmy) and Cindy. For outside cats, they all had long lives--at least to age 15. Thank God, Cindy is the most shy of them all and at night, tends to stay inside of the shed (and, thus, away from where a dog could be.) Emmy would sleep in her little house in the carport. The dog must've dragged her out.

I am simply heartbroken.

Edited by MilliesMom

I'm very sorry :(

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest CygnetC

That is so sad, I am so sorry :( What a horrible coincidence.

Free roaming dogs = bad. Because of someone's innability to take responsibility for their dog, one of your babies is gone. Disgusting. I am so so so so sorry.

Edited by CygnetC

Many thanks to you all. Your kind letters are helping me get through a very emotional time.

I'm not sure that Emmy's sister, Cindy, knows what happened. She seemed to keep looking at the street for her on and off, last night. Either that, or she's even more scared of dogs.

When my son was young (and I was a brand-new greyhound owner), I allowed him to take Millie out on a leash just outside the door. She lunged away from him and attacked the kitten next door. The poor thing had to be put to sleep. I've always felt bad about that.

In her later years, while she never really liked cats, from her living room couch Millie used to watch Emmy's and Cindy's mother (Sabu) sit on the window sill. They'd stare at each other. Perhaps a kind of peace.

{{{{{{{{{{MilliesMom}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{Cindy}}}}}}}}}}

Godspeed, Emmy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest freedomdawn

Oooooh. that makes me cry. I lost my first kitty to a dog mauling. He'd actually lived with my grandparents, but he was my kitty. Only person that Socks never bit, scratched, hissed at or did anything that an angry kitty does. New dog moved into the neighborhood and Socks, being 17 years old and the ruler of the neighborhood kitty roost told the dog to back off. It was a Rottie mix and chomped him in a few short bites.

I've never been so heartbroken....EVER. I feel your pain and my heart goes out to you. You should have some recompense by being able to call the dog warden and make sure they police your neighborhood for owners who do not keep their dogs in tact. that's what happened to the Rottie mix. His family had to send him to another place to live--they couldn't keep him chained/fenced or weren't even willing to walk him, so they had to send him to live with their family in the country. If a dog will/can do that to a cat, what might it do to a child, if it's allowed to roam free?

Again, heartfelt warm fuzzies all over the day to you.