Zack

AngelWhispers

Today is the first day I've actually been able to write about Zack. I didn't want to write a sad post, because that wasn't Zack. Zack loved life to the fullest, and even though his first 10 years weren't ideal, he never let it dampen his zest for life.

Zack suffered a stroke on the 16th and we had to let him leave us to be with the angels. I've been crying non-stop for a week, but that would have pissed off the old man. So today I start celebrating Zack's life and all he brought into my life.

Zack came to me as an emergency foster. He was being bounced from his 2nd home. What I took home that Sunday in Aug. of 2003 was a scruffy, underweight and depressed 10 year old. He went to the vet the next day and his kidneys weren't functioning properly, he was dehydrated, his teeth were a mess, he wasn't up to date on his shots or heartworm, and he was emaciated. The vet said he wouldn't do a dental because of his condition, and to take him home and get some groceries into him, and enjoy whatever little time he had left.

I was angry...so very angry! Zack's first home had been worse...so how could someone treat him like that a second time. Zack's first home had been horribly cruel and neglectful, and he had the physical scars....nerve damage on the right side of his head from a severe ear infection that was left untreated resulting in nerve damage and loss of hearing. Then there was the hole in his neck from having a rope or chain embedded in his neck while he was tied up outside year round, but Zack was the typical greyhound and still loved life.

We fostered Zack and got him back to good health and proved his vet wrong. Zack bonded immediately with my husband and he said, "I found my very own greyhound." I wasn't ready to adopt another so I told Steve that if he wasn't adopted at our big annual fund raiser, then we would make him an official member of the family. I set Zack up in the adoption room at our fund raiser and Zack started barking non-stop....so I put him in a crate and put him near where I was working. Lots of people were interested in him, but Zack wasn't so interested in them. He bared his teeth and growled at everyone who got near him....quite the turnoff for any potential adopters. So I took Zack home with me that night and when I walked through the door Steve said "well, was Zack adopted?" I handed Steve the leash and said, "It looks like you found your very own greyhound." Steve couldn't believe that Zack had growled at everyone. Zack knew he had found his forever home and he wasn't leaving it!

We called Zack our energizer bunny. When the rest of the pack was sleeping and taking retirement seriously...Zack was hiding shoes, throwing stuffies, barking and "demanding" that his every desire be fullfilled. He was an active senior citizen and I mean active!

Zack retired from racing at a young age because he was a "cheater". He liked to bump and interfere with the other racers, and his actions got him banned from racing and an early retirement. When Zack came to us at the age of 10, as an emergency foster we got to witness his "Zack Attacks" first hand. He loved to run with the dogs and then slam into them at full speed....not what you want to see from a 10 year old, and he made a few of the young ones yelp as he went on his merry way. So once again he was banned from running with the other dogs. We had to let Zack run alone first, then when he was tired and couldn't catch the other dogs, he was allowed to run with his pack.

I have a bad habit of leaving my shoes in the bathroom, so sometimes I might have 4 or 5 pairs of shoes lined up in my bathroom. Zack made a game out of sneaking into the bathroom and taking my shoes one by one and distributing them in every room of the house. Then Zack would hop up on one of the many sofas that belonged to HIM, with one shoe, and bark and bark until I came to see what his Highness needed. There would be Zack: tongue hanging out, a silly smile, his lopsided ear standing up, and a twinkle in his eye to signify that the "game had begun'. Then he would follow me around the house while I gathered up an arm full of shoes.

Did I mention Zack loved to bark? That boy loved to voice his opinions on everything, but he had an "inside bark". He would sit(yes, Zack could sit too) and use his "inside bark", he could actually do a whisper bark when we told him to use his inside voice.

Zack was the pack leader of our 7 other greys, and helped me with about 10 fosters. He was patient, tolerant and the most perfect leader. When everyone went outside, Zack always waited by the door until everyone was in or out. It was as if he was counting noses to make sure his pack was accounted for. He also wouldn't eat his meals until everyone had been served, and he always left 2 bites of food for whoever wanted to clean his bowl.

Zack only weighed 63lbs but he had the heart, spirit and energy of dogs twice his size. That old man could wear me out! There was always one more corner to turn on walks, one more mailbox to check out, and one more stuffy to toss.

Zack loved to snuggle and cuddle and it was Zack that made us break our "no dogs in the bed" rule. When Zack became an official member of our family we bought a king size bed for Zack. I still don't know how a little greyhound could make a king size bed feel so small, but he did. I'm honored he let me share his bed and pillow.

And speaking of small....Zack made me feel very small. Zack was a man's dog....I swear he was a male chauvanist in another life. In his eyes, my purpose in life was to serve him and he could make me feel so beneath him. I never got the same kind of greeting that Steve and other men got from him....I was lucky to get acknowledgement, but men got Zack's bounce and his fluffy white tail wagging like a flag. My self esteen will never be the same Zacky!

I could go on and on about how much Zack brought into our lives in the 2 1/2 years he was with us, and how the world revolved around his Highness.

Zacky, seniors really do rule and I hope that someday soon you bring another senior into our lives. The house is quiet without you and I'm actually getting some rest. Play nice at the bridge Zacky, and don't grrrr-ump at the young ones when they pass by your cloud.

The Pack misses you!

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when he entered your life! What a special gift he turned out to be :)

Run like the wind sweet boy.

It's so absolutely wonderful he ended up with you and was able to enjoy life. He sounds like a real character :wub:

Sending my sympathy. I know how you feel. I know the hole that is there when they leave.

:f_white

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Denise, what a very touching tribute to such a precious senior. I laughed and cried... :heart Zack found his little piece of heaven in your home during his last years, and was both blessed and a blessing to your family. I'm sure he will be very missed... your little snuggle bunny. Godspeed, sweet Zack... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a fabulous tribute to an obviously very special dog :heart

I'm sorry he had to leave you for now :f_red

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What a beautiful tribute!

:f_pink

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Greymom

At first I had tears when I began reading this, then I started to smile and laugh. What a special dog he was. And, what wonderful memories. I am so sorry for your loss.

Run free sweet boy, you will be greatly missed. :f_white

That is a beautiful tribute!!!

So sorry for your loss! He sounds like a very special boy.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest argolola

What a loving tribute to your sweet boy. May you find comfort in knowing that he finally knew genuine love and he had a wonderful home.

May God bless and heal your broken heart. See you later, Zack.

Guest DaffyToons

Thank you for sharing your special guy with us all. I am so sorry for your loss, but you're right--seniors RULE!! My thoughts are with you. :brokenheart

Run like the wind, Zach . . . .

:gh_run

What a wonderful tribute befitting a wonderful dog - I wish I could have met Zack, he sounds like a one-of-a-kind pup. The Bridge is a more colorful place with Zack now in attendance. Hats off to a wonderful pup - and a blessed life. My condolences on your loss. :bighug:f_red

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest SYMBASMOMMY
:wub::f_red:f_red Oh that was one of sweetest most wonderful tributes ever....Zack is definitely a bright shining star at the bridge...run free sweet sweet angel until you can see you mommy and daddy again....

Guest jeannejj

I'm very sorry for your loss. Zack was lucky to have had you, and you were lucky to have been loved by such a wonderful dog. Your memories will be precious and help you to heal. Peace to you.

Run free, sweet Zack. Run zoomies with my Mason.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog. :f_white

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)