My Last Greyhound, Scotch Is Gone.

Guest marnie

2005 was one of the most difficult years of my life....

On Feb 4, 2005, while driving out to the adoption kennel to do the last turn-out of the Greyhounds, a drunk driver smashed into my van. The impact flipped my van 3 times, threw me from my van and broke my hip, collor bone and eye socket and gave me a very bad brain bleed. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and then in a wheelchair for three months before I was allowed to do physical therapy and learn how to walk again.

A few days after I was put in the hospital, my 8 year old Greyhound, Barney died....then in June we had to put 14 year old Duke down, then the week before Christmas 2005 I had to put my last Greyhound down. Scotch was 12 1/2 years old and he was the first Greyhound I had ever adopted....

It was a difficult year, but I have come away from it a stronger person and I have found my faith in God once again. I feel blessed to have had those three old Greyhounds in my life and blessed to be able to work with ex-raing Greyhounds as a career.

I am now the Co-Director and Adoption Coordinator of Recycled Racers greyhound adoption. On January 3rd, 2006 I adopted a brand new three year old Greyhound boy, now named Taz. His racing name was Ultra Task and he did not have a good racing career, but he has turned out to be such a very good companion for my husband and I.

I still think about my three Greyhounds I lost last year, while walking past the refrigerator which is covered with old photos of Barney, Duke and Scotch. I will always miss them and always be so thankful to them for directing me into one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I hope that I will always be able to work with Greyhounds until my last day on this earth.

I love you boys!

Marnie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marnie, you have certainly been to hell and back haven't you. Thank goodness you are doing well. I am sorry about Scotch, Duke and Barney but you are right, we are all so very blessed to be given the opportunity to have such wonderful loving companions in our lives even though it's never really long enough.

Congratulations on your new grey and I hope and pray you all have many wonderful happy long years together. It's good to see you posting again.

Take care :)

Praying for all the missing greys!

I'm sorry to hear about Scotch. I'll always remember the silly pic you used to have of Scotch and Duke in your signature ... it always made me smile.

At the same time, I'm glad to hear things are going more smoothly for you.

Rest in peace, boys. You taught your momma well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

I remember well. I prayed for you and praise God you are doing better.

It sounds like you are finding your purpose, and what a wonderful job it is! Many, many greys will be helped and it all started with your first 3. May God bless you as you remember them and start out with your new boy.

I can not imagine what it would be like to lose 3 dear pets in one year, let alone the physical trauma you have gone through. It sounds like Taz is a great cardiologist to mend your broken heart.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Marnie, I've though of you from time to time. I'm so sorry to here that you lost Scotch too.

I hope your new boy is a comfort to you. I see that Taz is related to Foxy too. Another HB's Commander grandbaby.:)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so sorry for all you have lost. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so sorry for all of the pain you went through last year. Sending prayers that 2006 will be a blessed and peaceful new beginning.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

My heart goes out to you. :grouphug I know your three boys will live on through your loving heart and the caring work you now do with greyhounds. May your new companion Taz, bring you and your DH much joy and help to heal the heartache of loss. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.