Benny - El's Lotsawampum

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

Just short of his 11th birthday (April 10) and his 6th Gotcha Day (March 20), Benny lost his short battle with lymphoma. I was able to give him the gift of leaving with dignity and without suffering. It's only been a short 3 weeks since he first became ill, up until then, he was my goofy, bossy, silly boy. Too many of our precious hounds have been dying of cancer lately. Benny was the first greyhound that came into my life, and is the one that got me involved in volunteering, fostering and more. He will be sorely missed by everyone in my family. He took his last breath in my arms. I've cried so much in the past couple of weeks leading up to this, especially once I knew he was telling me it was time, he wasn't going to get better. I still cry, but it's a different crying now, I know he is free of the awful disease now, I do not need to worry while at work all day how he is doing, if he is hurting, if he's even still alive. There is a big, huge hole in my heart. Run free at the rainbow bridge Benny!

During this time, 2 things happened that amaze me. One, a day before he first started getting ill, I decided to take him and Yoshi for a long walk (in the winter months here walks aren't always easy since sidewalks are the last to get cleared). The other thing, just this past week, as I was getting ready to let him go, the Greyhound List had a topic about grieving dogs, which made me realize that I had to take Yoshi with me to the vet's office when it was time to let Benny go. And I'm so glad I did.

Here are a couple of very recent pictures of Benny right before he became ill.

doggies002.jpg

doggies001.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lotsahounds

I am so very sorry! My heart breaks for you and I share your pain as I just lost my Jammer not long ago. Benny knew he was loved. Run Free Benny! :f_red

Sigrun,

you are so brave. I hung on to Cosmo far to long because the thought of letting her go broke my heart. Bless you for giving Benny this last gift of eternal good health.

:f_pink

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

i'm very sorry. you must still be in shock; it happened so quickly :grouphug:f_white

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so glad Yoshi got to be with his friend, it will probably help him to understand. I'm so sorry for you loss of Benny :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

He was a very special and cherished boy. :beatheart Godspeed Benny... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Benny was such a sweet looking boy. I am glad you were able to share the photos.

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that Benny is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

We all share your sorrow. Your Benny is an angel now.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greymom

:grouphug I am so sorry. He left this world knowing how loved and special he was.

I know how hard it is. Sending prayers to help you through this difficult time. :hope

Edited by Greymom

I am so sorry. :( My deepest sympathy. My heart breaks for you. Now...as for Benny! Oh my...that little man is running and playing with our Angels and he is healthy and very happy. (Angel Sophia told me so) and he will always have one eye on his family and he KNOWS that this is not goodbye...he will wait patiently until you are once again reunited. Until that joyous day remember Benny lives on in each of your hearts. :grouphugf_yellow

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.