Saturday 7 Jan Downtime

Jeff

Tomorrow on the test server  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Tomorrow on the test server

• Play with the new software (unaltered with GT mods)
    • Use the old software like here for the last time.

Expect this forum to be offline tomorrow morning (Saturday 7 Jan) for a few hours at least. I will be upgrading our forum software. While I am doing that, I will post a link to my test server here in my home. You will be able to log in and post just like you do here. All posts from about 4am will be there, so you should feel right at home, though the speed will not quite equal what we have here.

** Any new posts on that test server WILL NOT be moved back to this live server**

All posts there will be lost, have fun, but don’t expect them to carry over.

I estimate the update to take a few hours if all goes well… if not I estimate until I throw in the towel and restore a backup :lol

I have upgraded the test server a few times and it went well, so baring anything unforeseen it should be a smooth transition. You will see a few new options and a few things moved around, but the learning curve should be very small.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Just added a quick poll. Would you rather play with the new stuff tomorrow on the test forum, or the old stuff that you are using here now?

1857306[/snapback]

Is the new stuff dramatically different?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Will our post count go back down when we transfer back?

1857315[/snapback]

Yours isn't high enough? You're never going to catch Jennifer, you know. :lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Will our post count go back down when we transfer back?

1857315[/snapback]

back down to what?

Back down from the posts you made on the test server, or back down to posts CURRENTLY still on the board...

the posts made on the test server will not count, as that info will remain on the test server and not be transferred back.

Back down to current active posts.... I'm still undecided :lol

OK, looks like NEW STUFF is ahead, just note that no custom work will be on that test forum. If I want a current database backup, I can't mod the forum, as they are overwritten when I restore the backup. And I'm not going to spend a few hours on that when I can be working on this forum.

Probably the most noticeable thing you will see is the MARK FORUM READ button is now located inside another menu, so 2 clicks. I don't like that, so on here, I add in another button ;)

The rest is less noticeable.

Jeff - during what hours do you plan to be doing this work? Will it give me enough time to get a life? ;)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest onefinegrey
Does that mean we all get Diplomatic Immunity? :lol

1857637[/snapback]

:evil

I doubt we'll be able to act like kids whose teacher has left the room and they go completely ballistic with the freedom! :crazy:lol You go first!! :lol

Jeff - during what hours do you plan to be doing this work?  Will it give me enough time to get a life?  ;)

1857763[/snapback]

sometime after I have breakfast :lol

I plan to start in the AM EST time.

I have been working on all the little details for the past few hours, and tracking my work, so I should be able to copy/paste what I need to into the live code tomorrow. That will help speed things along.

Last time I estimated 6 hours of downtime, and it was more like an hour ;)

Lat time there was no backup forum to play on though, so I can finish the install before going live this time.

Does that mean we all get Diplomatic Immunity? :lol

1857637[/snapback]

:evil

I doubt we'll be able to act like kids whose teacher has left the room and they go completely ballistic with the freedom! :crazy:lol You go first!! :lol

1857972[/snapback]

The moderators will be on the test server too, and the suspend/ban functions there work just fine :lol:P

Oh Boy.. we get to play at Jeffs house tomorrow!!!! :lol:lol:lol I hope Trudy has plenty of Chocolate and food for everyone... Of course beverages will be nice too..

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

Guest onefinegrey

Hey! It looks kewel in here! I likey the cosmetic and functional changes - especially the post icons! Ooo, now there are:

• list
  • items
And also:
  1. numbered
  2. items
And hyperlinking to email and web is funner too!

Very nice! :thumbs-up

PS, I just noticed we can now have strikethrough text too - good effect! :clap

Very Cool!!! :colgateSWEET

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch