Amber Alert 2005

Guest BrockGusDad

Guest BrockGusDad

First, my sincere gratitude for Jeff establishing the Amber Alert sub-forum.

In 2005 the following were reported (give or take a few)-

169 lost

114 found safe

23 found deceased

32 still unaccounted for

Michael and I have recently e-mailed that the increased reporting of lost greys, while encouraging, also increases the anxiety. The important thing is that those who have lost a grey feel comfortable getting the word out without fear of retribution or criticism.

To me these numbers are rather staggering. They represent so many lost and confused hounds; just as many agonizing ownees who cannot rest; so many searchers who leave their own hounds, their families, their jobs... to search- bless them.

May 2006 bring a downturn in our "business." Better yet, may it wipe it out.

The lost greys will be posted. We truly hope they will, as soon as possible. Please visit Amber Alert, as depressing as it can be.

Ed & Gus (hey, you guys better visit, that's how I got my great home!)

Edited by BrockGusDad

Guest TilliesMom

Thanks, Ed, for posting the stats. It is indeed a bit overwhelming to think of this many greybabies being lost. The Amber Alert forum is invaluable for these pups. I am adding my thanks to all who work so tirelessly for them.

And, I agree wholeheartedly, please visit the Amber Alert forum regularly...you never know when you might be the one to help reunite a scared and confused lost grey with their family!!

Working day after day on these lost dog searches, though most from afar, has been a very humbling experience. Each one brings new challenges, new people to encourage, new territory to learn, new people to recruit, new prayers to say.

Some areas of the country have remarkable resources for lost Greys, like the group in Maryland who pulled together to find Buddy, the Greyhound Adventures Group in Massachusetts who have been responsible for, I've lost track, but think it's around 10 found hounds this year. (Unfortunately, not all alive). There's the Greyhound Walking Club of Central New York. And we can't forget the dynamic duo, Diana and Dannine in Texas who spent months on the trail of Gus, finally bring him home, and find him an adopter willing to drive from PA to TX to adopt him: and who even now are on the track of yet another loose hound. If we could clone all of these people (Ed O'Neil's idea) we'd have a lot more found hounds, and a lot fewer question marks on Ed's count.

We'll be adding a new pinned topic to the forum soon. Marcia Herman, (founding editor of Celebrating Greyhounds Magazine) has written a very informative article about how not to lose a hound. I'm hoping that by reading it, it will save a lot of heartache and keep a lot of lost hounds from happening in 2006.

For all of you who have lost one, found one, or who are still looking, I wish you a wonderful new year. And thanks for caring, and working so hard for these guys.

And thank you Ed, for posting the numbers. I hadn't added them up myself. I guess I really didn't want to know. Now that I do know, it gives us something to shoot for. Fewer lost ones, and more recovered alive.

STILL MISSED: TEDDY"Ted Sarandis" 8/18/92-7/3/2001..WILLOW 2/21/95-10/12/05..MAGIC "Special Dark" 9/20/93-10/3/2002..STEELY "Sport Connection" 8/1/90-7/2/04.. BARNEY "Pa's Sad Eyes"8/1/93-5/9/07..ALLIE 6/96-10/17/08...MR. BRITT "Cedarun Brett" 8/1/02-7/15/11..HARPER"Dashin Along"1/11/01-3/12/12..CAVAN "Pat C Cavan" 12/29/98-6/19/12..WHISPER"Ecstatic Events" 7/11/01-10/7/13..Lilly"Mimosa Maria"4/27/02-6/23/14..NELLIE"Afteraracenellie"5/21/2000-7/7/2014...SANTOS"Galgo" 2000-7/10/15..MOLLY"JWC Molivia Girl"3/18/02-3/6/16..

NewLogo.gif

Thanks Ed it gives some perspective. I'm praying for the 32 yet to be found.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

On the bright side, if there is a bright side for a lost grey, those stats tell us that of the greys posted on Amber Alert, 81% have been found or accounted for. That's pretty amazing, to me at least, and definitely speaks to the caring of greyhound people all over North America!

Ed, could we have a reprisal of those who are still missing? I've had a computer on the blink for months and don't know if Chocolate, Velvet, Sureshot, Tut, Fancy and others were found, so I don't know who should still be on a prayer list. Thanks.

I think with increased adoptions there will be more lost greyhounds, unfortunately. People become lax and sometimes new adopters truly don't understand why we preach NO OFF LEASH, SAFETY, VIGILANCE.

I hope that the Greyhound Amber Alert becomes more than just a place for people to come to for help in searching for a lost grey......GAA should be a constant reminder for us to keep preaching to old and new adopters alike that safety should be the number one thing to always think about with their grey(s).

I became a Community Supporter because of the Amber Alert.....if my support helps even one greyhound to be found because of the info here, I will be truly thankful.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest BlessedByGreys

Ed,

Thanks so much for bringing these numbers to light for us. As sad as the numbers are, we need to keep reminding ourselves of them so as not to lose sight of how important all we have been taught about these greys and how not to lose them etc. is, as well as to give us hope for the ones found alive, and a moment to pray for those not so fortunate and have crossed the bridge. For those sweet babies still out there, we will never give up hope and continue to pray, that like Gus, you are abe to survive the odds and that some day you will find your Mommy and Daddy, or a new forever home.

We Love you all sweet baby greys,

Diana+

Edited by BlessedByGreys

Guest DaffyToons

Thank you for the compilation, Ed. As difficult as it is to read of yet another lost hound, I continue to check the forum several times a day. If I can be of assistance in finding even one of these lost puppers, it would make it worth it. Until then, I will continue to cheer on the relentless searchers in their quests to bring these lost souls home alive.

Guest BrockGusDad
.... could we have a reprisal of those who are still missing?  I've had a computer on the blink for months and don't know if Chocolate, Velvet, Sureshot, Tut, Fancy and others were found, so I don't know who should still be on a prayer list. Thanks.

1843392[/snapback]

I have a handwritten log that I've been keeping for the past year. Although I believe it is accurate, one could also do a search at the bottom of the Amber Alert forum (choose "select all"). It will take you back to the first of the year.

With the above disclaimer, here are the names I have of those still out-

Chocolate, Swagger, Sureshot, Velvet, Pandora, Fletch, Fancy (Pilar), Lucy, Jack,

Monet, Dan, Cody (Dante), Katy, Maggie, Paddy (Borzoi), Wes, Pinkie, Garth,

Postman, Colin, Chunk, Ram, ? (Grandville, MI), ? (Borzoi, Crossville, TN), ?

(IG,St. Mary's Cty, MD), Prissy, Scoobie, ? (Cowtown, TX), Streak, Lisa, Diva.

There was another but the thread was closed. Also, the question marks refer to those whose names were never ascertained.

My apologies if I have omitted any names or listed one who has in fact been found.

Ed

Guest sweetgsmom

The Amber Alert is a constant reminder to me to be always vigilant. I too thank you for keeping track of these hounds. I check once a day to see if they are home, if they are the elation is great, if not then the hope and prayers are still said. And for all the searchers out there, you are angels. I will still hope for those missing to be found.

Thankyou for all you do....

thanks for the stats and for taking an active role :)

Michael and I have recently e-mailed that the increased reporting of lost greys, while encouraging, also increases the anxiety. The important thing is that those who have lost a grey feel comfortable getting the word out without fear of retribution or criticism.

I agree, do you have any suggestions, possibly moderated replies? That may cause long delays for pertinent info though...

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I agree, do you have any suggestions, possibly moderated replies? That may cause long delays for pertinent info though...

1844236[/snapback]

We've had a remarkably focused and determined group of people on the forum. When asked to concentrate on the capture of the dog, they do. Only once this year has it gotten a bit heated, during a search where several Greys were found running loose.

The wonderful thing about this forum you started Jeff, is it's immediacy. It works because updates go up quickly, and people focus on the search. The only thing I'd try to change and I wouldn't know how, is to separate the serious searcher posts, the ones with phone numbers, meeting times, maps and sightings, from the ones where people are sending "white light" and best wishes. These do make it a bit harder to sift through to find meaningful, up to date information. The best wishes type of post is a Greytalk staple though, and it does allow people to participate, even from long distance.

STILL MISSED: TEDDY"Ted Sarandis" 8/18/92-7/3/2001..WILLOW 2/21/95-10/12/05..MAGIC "Special Dark" 9/20/93-10/3/2002..STEELY "Sport Connection" 8/1/90-7/2/04.. BARNEY "Pa's Sad Eyes"8/1/93-5/9/07..ALLIE 6/96-10/17/08...MR. BRITT "Cedarun Brett" 8/1/02-7/15/11..HARPER"Dashin Along"1/11/01-3/12/12..CAVAN "Pat C Cavan" 12/29/98-6/19/12..WHISPER"Ecstatic Events" 7/11/01-10/7/13..Lilly"Mimosa Maria"4/27/02-6/23/14..NELLIE"Afteraracenellie"5/21/2000-7/7/2014...SANTOS"Galgo" 2000-7/10/15..MOLLY"JWC Molivia Girl"3/18/02-3/6/16..

NewLogo.gif

1844236[/snapback]

We've had a remarkably focused and determined group of people on the forum. When asked to concentrate on the capture of the dog, they do. Only once this year has it gotten a bit heated, during a search where several Greys were found running loose.

The wonderful thing about this forum you started Jeff, is it's immediacy. It works because updates go up quickly, and people focus on the search. The only thing I'd try to change and I wouldn't know how, is to separate the serious searcher posts, the ones with phone numbers, meeting times, maps and sightings, from the ones where people are sending "white light" and best wishes. These do make it a bit harder to sift through to find meaningful, up to date information. The best wishes type of post is a Greytalk staple though, and it does allow people to participate, even from long distance.

1844267[/snapback]

I have no clue if this is possible, but after reading this, I was picturing an active 'stats chart' - a grid that would only be used for the most pertinent, up-to-date information on lost dogs. Kind of like what you see in an ER - the board where updates in brief terms are maintained?

Then, separate threads for well-wishes, white light, etc. could be maintained. We could check the 'chart' for the most recent status, then post our well-wishes, ideas, etc. in a thread below it.

Is that possible to create?

Edited by jodyksam

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Ed, take Streak off the list. He was found. :) Keeping all the other lost puppers in my prayers... hoping they're in a safe place and not suffering. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

The only thing I'd try to change and I wouldn't know how, is to separate the serious searcher posts, the ones with phone numbers, meeting times, maps and sightings,  from the ones where people are sending "white light" and best wishes. These do make it a bit harder to sift through to find meaningful, up to date information.
1844267[/snapback]

Since there is no way to differentiate between the two text replies, I don't know of a way that could be done.

I have no clue if this is possible, but after reading this, I was picturing an active 'stats chart' - a grid that would only be used for the most pertinent, up-to-date information on lost dogs.  Kind of like what you see in an ER - the board where updates in brief terms are maintained?
1844271[/snapback]

That could be done through a pinned thread. Would be neat with links back to the original threads.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Wow--those stats, while largely positive, are very, very scary to me. Maybe they will serve as a warning to all of us to be careful! (And I speak as one who had 2 dogs push open a door and take off on me a couple of years ago)...

That could be done through a pinned thread. Would be neat with links back to the original threads.

1844429[/snapback]

Well, I'm going to ask you tomorrow, just how to do that. It's a little too close to midnight for me to concentrate on anything tonight though, and I expect the same of you. PARTY!!!!

Happy New Year Jeff, and everyone.

NewLogo.gif

Guest BrockGusDad
Happy New Year Jeff, and everyone.

1845109[/snapback]

Adding my wishes for a Great 2006 for everyone!

Ed & Gus