Linux Or Unix Gunkies ?

Jeff

A few months back, we had a SCSI HDD fail as part of a RAID5 array. I had the new drive shipped to the DC and installed. Locally I keep track of the drive serial numbers for warrantee information, but I was not able to get the new drive SN# when it was installed.

I would like to know if it is possible to get he HDD SN# from the command line some how. I can not use hdparm –i since the drive is not IDE and specifying /dev/sda does not help.

Is the drive information stored someplace in a text file that I can view, or retrieve another way? I thought SCSI information was logged into a file at boot, but I see nothing in /proc

Rebooting and watching POST does not help either as only the model, not the serial number is displayed.

Anyone have a clue?

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Ok.... the housemate says that as far as he's aware, there isn't really a command line thing that will get that information for you. But he thinks if you go out to the manufacturer's website, they might have a tool that you can upload to the harddrive that will do it.

And I can't find my Linux book as it hasn't been unpacked yet....

I did give that a shot, but since it is in an ARRAY, I can not seem to access VPD page [0x80] where the SN# is stored.

It works fine in a non RAID setup.

All that shows is the megaraid info

/dev/sda: MegaRAID LD 0 RAID5 69G 521S

Guest TheBlackGrey
I did give that a shot, but since it is in an ARRAY, I can not seem to access VPD page [0x80] where the SN# is stored.

It works fine in a non RAID setup.

All that shows is the megaraid info

/dev/sda: MegaRAID  LD 0 RAID5  69G  521S

1842283[/snapback]

Poo, sorry that didn't work out Jeff. Only other suggestion DH had and said you've probably already thought of, is to remove that HD from the array (if it's virtually possible - obviously it's not physically).

Good luck - hope you find a solution :)

... DSO here (I think that's the correct TLA but can't keep up any more...)

I've done a fair bit of Linux Tinkering, and well you have a couple of options...

If machine is not in a COLO and is accesable, easily accesable, just pull the drive... that's the point of RAID's...

Are you running HW raid, or a SW RAID?

On the other hand, Reboot and go into the SCSI/RAID adapter's BIOS (usally something like control-A (depending on model/version) when you see it starting up, (if SCSI controller is on the MOBO, then may have to access via the main BIOS screen.

Other thoughts, go thru the the linux boot mesg (I think 'dmesg' will give you most of that info, and may be able to put together the device etc from the numbers/id's/slots

What SCSI/RAID config/controller are you running?

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

The server is at a COLO

HW ROMB RAID on a Dell 2850

/var/log/dmesg only shows the ARRAY as a whole, not the drives in it, nor does it display the SN of the backup drive outside the array.

I'll probably reboot next week after the forum update and look in the RAID bios then. I'm not sure if that will tell me or not.

In case you were wondering, that wasn't me in the previous reply. Jonathan just used my account. He is currently in high level discussions about this and will post, again as me, when he has a response.

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Jonathan again:

Just checked w/ a SysAdmin friend to confirm. If you go into the adaptec bios, under the drive utilities/configuration (? again depending on version etc) it 'should' list the drive charateristics. If you had a software RAID, then the sga_ / /proc stuff would work but since it's a HW RAID, then it just appears to the OS as a single drive.

I will poke around some of the adaptec boards to see if there are some utillites for linux that can pull the device info off...

Sorry...

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
just stuff for an older 2.5 kernel

1843111[/snapback]

All that for making stale popcorn?? :lol:rofl:lol

Sorry, I've no idea what in the heck you guys are talking about. Saw the word kernel and took my chance :)

If it is a hardware array and linux does not see it as an individual device, you won't be able to get this information from the command line as linux can't query it. You'd need a utility to deal with the hardware array itself. It sounds like from what you've described you'll have to wait until someone can pull it out to find it.

I have no idea what you just said :lol :lol

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch