Sober Worm Plans 5 January Attack

Jeff

honestly I can't recommend one. I have not found one I really like that is easy to configure. That all take quite a bit of fiddling to get them to work properly. If it seems too easy to set up, it probably is not filtering enough. It is a poor tradeoff.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Jeff, have you seen this?

34-999-667-01.JPG

I saw one at Best Buy today, and was intrigued by it. I use a company laptop, but when I travel, I'm off the corporate intranet, and it makes me nervous.

Mobile security has never been easier--USB key based plug and play firewall.

Detects and protects against hackers in all wireless environments--even outside corporate firewalls.

Hides your identity from the Internet.

Safeguards important data stored on your notebook.

Simply plug the key into your notebook to activate the firewall; remove the key to disable.

Protection will not interfere with corporate firewall and anti-virus software.

For PC compatible notebook computers running Windows XP.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I have only seen dongles like that to protect software piracy, but that can be cracked too. I like the idea of hardware, but the problem with that USB device, is unless it is the actual WIFI receiver, all info has to pass unprotected from the wireless card in the laptop to the USB port. I'm no expert, but I would not use a device like that. The main reason is I dislike things protruding from my laptop. I want it mobile for a reason, and that is just something to get knocked around or knocked into and break.

I have only seen dongles like that to protect software piracy, but that can be cracked too. I like the idea of hardware, but the problem with that USB device, is unless it is the actual WIFI receiver, all info has to pass unprotected from the wireless card in the laptop to the USB port. I'm no expert, but I would not use a device like that. The main reason is I dislike things protruding from my laptop. I want it mobile for a reason, and that is just something to get knocked around or knocked into and break.

1831944[/snapback]

Makes sense to me. :) I'm a firm believer that whatever looks too good to be true, usually is. And this just seemed too easy.

Guess my other option is a software firewall that I disable when on the company 'net

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

OK Jeff, here's stupid question.....

I've got a firewall and antivirus protection.

Would one be extra safe if one did not turn one's computer on on Jan 5 since that is the attack day?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

probably not,

It would most likely happen the next time you booted, or if you received an email from someone else who had the virus.

Just make sure your anti-virus software is updated, and your firewall is configured correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UGAKarl

A warning to all:

Do not visit any unknown sites or accept IMs from unknown people (on top of all the other precautions like not opening attachements) in the next couple of days before they find a fix for this bug: Fin. Times

I got hit by this bug last week and a payload of about 12 viruses and 10+ spyware items were unleashed on my "safe" system behind a corporate firewall.

The problem is that there is no prevention. All you need to do is view an image that contains malicious code - that is all. No downloading, no nothing. You're done... and then they have a back door into your system to setup the viruses etc.

Good luck!

Thanks Jeff, just checked my McAfee and everything is A-O.K. :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest UGAKarl

Anyone get attacked today? I managed to have it on my work computer!! My home computers are fine though.

33 virus attempts in 30 minutes. Nice!

A warning to all:

Do not visit any unknown sites or accept IMs from unknown people (on top of all the other precautions like not opening attachements) in the next couple of days before they find a fix for this bug: Fin. Times

I got hit by this bug last week and a payload of about 12 viruses and 10+ spyware items were unleashed on my "safe" system behind a corporate firewall.

The problem is that there is no prevention.  All you need to do is view an image that contains malicious code - that is all. No downloading, no nothing. You're done... and then they have a back door into your system to setup the viruses etc.

Good luck!

1848744[/snapback]

Microsoft released a patch for this last night. It installed while I was sleeping and rebooted my computer, including the 10 or so windows I had open working on the code for the GT update this weekend :eek there goes a few more hours work :angryfire

Windoze users need to use the windoze update feature to make SURE they have this very importaint bug fix.

Guest UGAKarl

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-001

Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (912919)

Published: January 5, 2006

Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 – Download for Windows 2000

• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 – Download for Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-001.mspx

Edited by UGAKarl