Marcus 11/16/93 - 11/16/05

dmswartzfager

DH and I just came home from helping Marcus cross the bridge.

He started coughing last night around 9:30 and continued to cough all through the night, keeping us both awake. His respiration and heart rates seemed to be increased as well. Around 2:30 this morning, I woke up DH and asked if he would be able to miss a day of work to take Marcus to the vet. I was willing to take a day off myself, but it would've involved finding a sub and coming to school anyway to put together sub lesson plans. So DH said he would and I moved to the guest bedroom so I could try to get some sleep.

DH got an 8:50 appointment. DH reported to me via e-mail this morning that Marcus yelped when Dr. Patty touched his tonsils, so she suspected tonsilitis or possibly something stuck in his throat since all other vital signs were normal. So DH left Marcus at the vet until they could get neck and chest radiographs done.

The radiographs showed no obstruction in his trachea, but did show an unusually enlarged heart, particularly when compared to the chest radiographs from two months ago. So since he was there, they went ahead and did the acupuncture treatment so I wouldn't have to bring him back tomorrow. I picked him up from the vet at 6 pm. He dragged his front paws as we were leaving, but he seemed to get a little better as he walked a little more, so I was just supposed to watch it and let them know if that did not improve. I brought him home, and he did not want to get out of the van. After a little persuasion, we got him out, but his back legs were not supporting him very well at all- he was on the verge of collapse several times. He eventually did lay down abruptly in the dining room. We left him there for a few minutes and sat on the couches, still no movement to join us from Marcus. I tried waving Burpdog biscuits under his nose and calling him- the rest of the crew got all wound up, but other then a nose twitch, no reaction from Marcus.

So we called the vet and they said to come back in. Dr. Allison suspected a stroke with his presentation and recommended that once we stabilized him, we move him over to a 24-hour hospital, which happens to be the same place Marcus' cardio work had been done 2 months ago. Well, he didn't stabilize, even with oxygen, steroids, and IV fluids- in fact, fluid started collecting in his abdomen, indicating that his heart was not pumping correctly, and his gums were not pinking up like they should have been with the oxygen. Dr. Allison was feeling more and more certain that he had thrown a clot to his lungs, particularly with the coughing overnight, and also suspected that there was a small tumor on his heart messing up the electrical rhythms. So, the prognosis was pretty ugly. She said there was a small chance we could stabilize him enough to live, but it would probably be an ugly few weeks until his death. I asked what she would do since she's gotten to know him well with the acupuncture treatments, and she said she'd let him go. So we did.

Run free, Marcus. I still don't regret the decision we made to adopt you just over a year ago. We knew the time would be short, but unfortunately, we didn't think it would be quite this short.

He didn't even get to eat his Burpdog birthday cake.

falloffcouch2.jpg

marcus5.jpg

marcustug.jpg

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG NO, NO, not sweet sweet Marcus :weep:weep:weep:weep:weep

Oh, Marcus I loved you, sweet handsome boy, my heart is broken, I can't type,.......Deanna and Brian I am so very sorry, thank you for loving Marcus as much as you did and for giving him such a great life :(

I must add this:

Dear sweet Marcus, I wanted to adopt you so badly but it wasn't meant to be, there was a reason you got such a wonderful mommy and daddy and a great brother and sisters, how wonderful all of you got to be together, but it just wasn't long enough. Your mommy and daddy know how much I adored and loved you and the first time I met you I fell to my knees hugging you and crying. You were that kind of greyhound, one that just by looking into your eyes touches ones soul. You will be missed but never ever forgotten......

Run like the wind.....and please send a rainbow when you can, hugs, kisses and ear scritches sweet boy, I love you and will never forget you..... :gh_run:angelwings:angel:gh_run:grouphug:f_white:grouphug

Edited by Lilysmom

Praying for all the missing greys!

I am so sorry. You must be in an absolute state of shock; this seemed to have happen so quickly :grouphug:f_white

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Deanna and Brian, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Marcus and his comical personality touched the hearts of many people who never even met him. He will be missed. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

This is so shocking! Run free dear boy. And thank you for the smiles and giggles.

No pupper did the couch quite like you. :beatheart:brokenheart:beatheart

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Deanna and Brian, I am so sorry. :grouphug:f_white You gave hime a wonderful family, and he knew love till the end. I'm sitting here stunned, this is a boy I will truly miss. :sad1

Godspeed Marcus sweetheart you are such a special boy. :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest trevdog

What a shock.....I'm so sorry......my eyes started watering when I saw that first picture, what a wonderful boy to have left so suddenly. Run free Marcus, your family loves you.....

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest frosti220

Oh no...not Marcus...I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the fun runs...what a beautiful, fun loving boy! And his pictures and stories always put a smile to my face...

You will be missed, Marcus...

I am so sorry. :( My deepest sympathy. Run free beautiful Marcus. My heart aches for you....sending prayers and many warm hugs. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

He was just precious....I am so so sorry...

Rest easy sweet Marcus.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

:weep:weep:weep My heart aches for you... losing your precious Marcus so suddenly. Although I never met him, he touched my heart deeply, and I always enjoyed his gorgeous and goofy pictures, and the lovely stories of his life with you and the gang. Heaven is blessed with a very special angel tonight... Godspeed, sweet Marcus... :beatheart Many hugs and blessings to you and your family for the loving kindness he knew in your care. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest wmlcml6

Marcus has been a favorite of mine with his handsome white face and cute pictures. It's too quick!

It's so weird how I don't know you from beans, and have an ache in my heart for a dog I never met. But the ache is there, nonetheless.

Run free, Marcus. Don't drive the wimmen up there crazy with that beautiful white face of yours. :wub