Bad Breath?

Batmom

Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Does your hound(s) consistently have bad breath?

• Yes
    • No

If yes, what do you feed? What dental care (bones, brushing, greenies) do you use?

I'm just curious. I see in various posts that some hounds have bad breath. Ours (2 greyhounds, 1 whippet) seem to have pretty odorless breath, even when it's getting close to dental time. There is the occasionally smelly burp or "after fish-eating" breath incident, but most of the time there's just nothing to notice. So I am wondering about the percentages.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lummis' breath WREAKS!!!!

Wylie's not too bad.

We feed Diamond Lamb and Rice, brush, give marrow bones... but, Lummis seems to chew more on the one side - so the other side gets really icky! Blech!!

We've tried to scale his teeth - and he tolerates it... but, we can't really get up under the gums.

Guest billys_mum

When i first got Whoopie her breath was foul. After seeking advice on this I was told that Charcol biscuits might help because most times bad breath starts from the stomach. After a couple of weeks of having these treats twice a day her breath was sweet and still is 3 years after she came to me.

Guest Reesesmom

Reese hasn't ever had bad breathe. Her teeth didn't look great when I got her, but I brush them evry night so I guess that must be the difference. :dunno:brushteeth

Naples is pretty bad. We feed Canidae, and give Greenies on occasion. We do brush her teeth, and take her for annual dentals. But her teeth juat aren't good.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Laurie always has bad breath and Hines occasionally does. I feed them Pro Plan, Greenies everyday, raw meaty bones 1-2 times a week. I brush their teeth every other day. Ross' breath is fine and he has the least plaque on his teeth.

Guest romansmommy

Roman has raunchy breath, but not quite as bad as when we got him. He has started to get marrow bones which hopefully will help. I also brush his teeth at least 3 times a week and add Suzie's Tartar liquid to his water....which I'm not sure does too much! I use listerine with water on his gums occasionally as well. His teeth are in really good condition for a 5 year old, and really I only notice his breath the most when I'm giving him kisses on his nose :wub:

P.S. tried greenies, but they gave him BAD gas!! :puke

Nora's breath smells like she eats poo, but we know that she doesn't! I'm not sure why it's so rotten. And seems to be worse first thing in the morning. Blech. She eats Nutro Max, and gets lots of veggies on her dinner and some yogurt on her breakfast. We brush her teeth about once a week . . .maybe daily is a better idea!

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Guest ProudGreyMom

Jake has nasty breath - he has nasty teeth! I am trying to be diligent about brushing even though it terrifies him. After reading the recent dental article in CG magazine, I really want that bacteria out of their mouths!

Guest sharkysmachine

I have heard that bad breath has more to do with diet/stomach issues than mouth/teeth condition. Or maybe its a combination of the two?

Guest Tigonie

It's funny you should ask. I recently switched Emma to Iams, and I was just noticing in the past few days that her skin is suddenly flaky and last night I noticed that her breath REEKS! I'm going to pick another food for her. She had been on Authority, but our PetSmart has really gone downhill recently. I wanted to try Iams, because you can buy it anywhere, and she seemed ok at first.

Even on the raw diet Cole's teeth & breath are disgusting. He's had annual dentals and we brush on a regular basis. I don't know what else we can do?

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

I have heard that bad breath has more to do with diet/stomach issues than mouth/teeth condition. Or maybe its a combination of the two?

1719840[/snapback]

My friend just had her two greys to the vet and mentioned her female's teeth to the vet. He said her teeth weren't *that* bad, and that the bad breath was probably coming from her stomach.

He suggested giving her Tums.

My question is, will they willingly eat Tums? :blink:

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Damien has remarkably odorless breath. It has just a very faint rather pleasant smell. I'd MUCH rather smell his breath that most humans! :lol

Our JRT Ruby has fairly bad breath, but she always has, even after a dental.

my girls' breath was definitely not sweet..but it wasn't terrible. well, it was bad. but not as bad as some others i've seen.

i just switched them to raw, 4 days ago. bad breath was INSTANTLY gone. well. within a day or so. i'm loving it.

Guest CygnetC

Wally has the "death breath" and has had it since I got him. For about 2 or 3 weeks after a dental he will have no scent, but then it comes back with a vengence!!

He eats raw, but does not eat the bone part due to a weird digestive issue that we're currently trying to figure out, so he doesn't get that benefit. I brush his teeth with C.E.T.

He also needs 4 to 8 teeth extracted which is scheduled to happen in the next 3 months. We're hoping that will help a lot with the stench.

Guest zeds_dead

i'm sorry in advance for saying this, but i have to say it. y'all that brush your dog's teeth more than once a week must be obsessive compulsive or have no job or life or something. i know that this will offend some of you but.........the truth hurts. i'm concerned about the condition of my dog's teeth as well, but brushing every day??? get real.