Mocha 7/7/91 -- 10/25/2005

Guest g8rvet

Guest RedsMommy

My heartfelt sympathy on the loss of beautiful Mocha. I work with your husband and he was telling me about how wonderful she was. She sounds like a greyt companion.

:f_white

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sorry for the loss of your precious Mocha. :brokenheart I can only imagine how much harder it must be for you, as a vet, to reach that point of non-response to treatment. :grouphug You gave your beloved girl the final loving gift of freedom from suffering. She will live on in your heart and memory forever. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet girl...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a wonderful picture of your sweet girl :wub: I am so very sorry for your profound loss. There is something about these hounds that touches our hearts in a way that defies description. May God hold all of your aching heart in his hands, and take peace in knowing your sweet girl is running healthy and free over the bridge with all the other hounds we have lost! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

What a beautiful picture! The love just jumps out and grabs you :)

Sending my sympathy and sending hugs. It's never easy. You never have them long enough. I lost my second grey to kidney disease. It's a frustrating disease.

When thinking of your sweet DD, the book All Dogs Go To Heaven came to mind. She has known Mocha all her life :( Give her a hug from me.

:f_white

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Even when it's the "right" thing to do, it's never easy. And when the choice, and the power to implement the choice, is in your hands, it only gets harder not to second guess yourself.

I was a vet tech on weekends for several years. My very first day, we had a family come in with their old bassett hound to have her put to sleep. The two little girls in the family, ages 10 and 7, laid on a blanket in the exam room with the bassett as the vet gave a sedative first, and then the lethal injection. I could hear the older girl whispering to her canine friend: "Thank you for all the nights you spent guarding our beds." "Thank you for all the days you played in the fields of with us." "Thank you for all the licks and snuggles."

I was trying hard not to bawl my eyes out, but you could just feel the love in the room. Your introduction and remembrance of Mocha reminded me of that bassett, Daisy, and her girls.

In any case, I occasionally write memorial poems, some for humans, some for hounds. People over on the Circle of Grey list have occasionally received poems from me, if I am inspired/moved/creatively able (I haven't written many poems for a long time now), but I haven't been on GreyTalk long enough to be comfortable posting poems. Well, here you go: this is an original, and just for Mocha.

Sirius Racer

(for Mocha, 10/25/2005)

Out there, somewhere,

The dog star shines, beacon and guide.

In the pale light, she glimmers,

Her sleek hide shines.

You look out, despite pain,

Through panes fogged by tears,

Wishing she was still yours,

Wishing the years were dust,

The grief, like ashes in your mouth

After her fire burns out.

Out there, somewhere,

She's barking at the moon

As it races along its arc,

From dusk till dawn

She's drowning out the dark

With her immortal grace.

You look out, watching frost form:

When sleep comes, dreams wake you,

Shake you with a torrent of tears,

Break you with the memory

Of her face.

Out there, somewhere,

She's running far beyond

Free from the bonds of aching bones,

But turning her head, she flares

A flicker in the twilight sky.

She turns her head and stares,

Back toward you.

Her shadow brushes your legs,

Fans the breeze at your side.

Tonight, the lure of the chase leads her

Into the skies: upward, forward,

Higher and higher.

But her memory lies, obedient,

At your feet.

© 2005 m.e. holderbaum

-- Mere on Cape Cod

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

I'm so sorry about your loss. The picture of your daughters with Mocha is just the sweetest. I know by comming to GT you will find many others who understand your pain and your feeleings. Welcome here and goodspeed Mocha. :f_pink

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest MomofCash

What a beautiful and sweet picture of Mocha with your girls ... :)

I am so sorry for you and your family's loss ... how hard it must have been to let her go, knowing you could do nothing further. But you gave her the one last bit of love ... the love to let her go and run free at the bridge. I hope that, in time, you find the space in your heart for another of the breed we all so much love here.

Godspeed Sweet Mocha ... :f_pink

We are so, so sorry for your great loss. we lost our foster Slick after having him only 5 months. His parents did not want him anymore after 7 yrs and threw him out. but we were the lucky ones, we were able to have him if only a short time, but I believe he was happy here. He had bone cancer and we had to help him over the bridge too. it is a very hard thing to do but when the time comes, you have to put them first

and stop their suffering. I still think of him everyday and the only peace I get is knowing that I was able to stop his suffering and terrible pain. May you find comfort in that too and feels God's love as HE holds your whole family in His arms. Sharon & Dan

Wow :tearsjoy: -- I would first like to thank each and every one of you who has posted words of condolence and sympathy..... You all cannot begin to know how much I have enjoyed reading this thread and the responses from people who "know" what it is like to love (and lose) a hound....

Mere -- that is truely a beautiful gift you have -- artistic words escape me in times of such sadness.... thank-you greatly for your thoughts. I am going to print and frame the poem in Mocha's keepsake book.

I actually found this site in the half hearted search for a woman that I had located once who (all too briefly) owned one of Mocha's littermates. She was the only bitch in the litter (and quite honestly acted more male than female most of the time!). I think it was the database linked to Rosnet or something like that -- I am still trying to find her.

Annie -- yes -- my husband came home and told me about speaking with you.... small world! I look forward to meeting your hounds!

We are currently hound-less at the moment.... only the 28 year old cat remains (and she isn't going anywhere anytime soon). Once we move into our new house -- I will be on the lookout for another (or several -- we will have 10 acres!) special hound to become part of our family.

I'm just not so sure they would like the cold up here! -- We are born and raised die-hard Floridians.... :brr:

Thank-you again everyone for your kind thoughts, words and bouquets of flowers..... they mean the world to us!

I hope to post more in the future when we can get over this heartbreaking phase.... I cannot read but a few words in this thread before I start crying....

Thank-you,

Tamara

Guest BlessedByGreys

Tamara,

What a very special baby Mocha must have been for you and your family and I know that there are no words I can give to help comfort you during this time of grief and mourning. I only know that without you, Mocha might not have had the wonderful and rich life that she did and she is now looking down on you and your family and watching over all of you until she can be with you again. This will be her way of saying "Thank You for loving me."

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family in hopes that the pain and grief you are now feeling will someday be replaced by smiles and warm memories of your precious sweet baby Mocha.

Run Free Baby Girl!

Diana+, Katie, Dolly, and Calli (My Bridge Girl)

That picture is just breathtaking. Two of the sweetest looking little girls in the world hugging such a striking girl. :wub Your little girl on the right looks like she's hugging her saying goodbye. :cry1

I'm so sorry for your loss of Mocha. What an amazing girl. The Rainbow Bridge has gained a new Angel.

God Speed beautiful girl. :gh_run

Michelle -- that picture *was* taken right before I left the house with her for that last car ride..... :sob:

Those are my two oldest girls.... 5 & 3yo, we also have 12 month old twins. We got pictures with all of the kids with her that night.... she looks so thin and frail to me from her younger years. She really was just a skeleton and shadow of her former racing self.... but beautiful and loved nonetheless.

1718170KidsDog10-25-2005.jpg

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone.... :cry:

Tamara

Guest MomofCash

Tamara .... that last pic is absolutely breath-taking. The kids are looking one way and Mocha is looking directly at you as if to say that it's okay now ... I'm ready ... :(

You have a beautiful family and Mocha was a special soul that was loved tremendously ... you can just see it in her eyes.

It's obvious in your words and photos how much Mocha meant to you and the rest of your family. I'm very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.