A Heartbreaking Day

Guest Houndmama

Guest Houndmama

I am so sad and heartbroken tonight. One of my first foster dogs died unexpectedly today. The owner called me the minute he got him in the car and asked me to meet him at the vet's office. The vet said that Trooper was likely dead before his body hit the ground.

Joe had put Trooper and the 2 labs out to play and potty in the fenced yard this afternoon and within a couple of minutes, he heard the dogs barking and went to investigate and quiet them. He saw Trooper lying at the end of the driveway with his tongue hanging out. He scooped him up and called me right away but he thought Trooper was gone already. We didn't want to take any chances though and we prayed for him to hang on as Joe drove to the closest vet. It was not to be.

A necropsy will be performed so that the family can know what happened. Trooper just turned 8 in August and was healthy as could be. The vet suspects an aneurysm, stroke or heart attack.

Trooper was a handsome fawn boy that had the most crooked front teeth. He was a smiler too and that combination was a hoot when he looked up at you and peeled his lips back. What a grin! There was no way that you could look at that face and not laugh from deep within your belly.

His house was the location for the greyhound fun run this spring, where the greys clipped me on my ankle-break day. When each dog arrived at the fun runs, Trooper rooed and squealed as he ran up and down the fenceline in anticipation of his guests coming in the gate. He was absolutely thrilled to see every person and hound. He had the exact response when everyone left, though with a mournful tone. He was the perfect fun run host dog because he never wanted anyone to leave.

I would pick him up and take him with my crew to get his nails clipped so that I could have special time with him. When I would drive up to that house, he ran out and waited for someone to throw my van door back. Whether he was leaving with me or not, he always had to get in and lie down for a bit.

I kept him for 10 days this summer while the family went on vacation. I will forever treasure that time with him. I had no idea that it would be the last time I would see him alive. :weep

There were 3 kids that adored Trooper for the 3 years that he lived with them and my heart breaks for them tonight. The family was fully prepared for their old, feeble lab to make his transition but not Trooper.

I am grateful that I chose that family for Trooper. He could not have been in a better home or with a more loving, caring family. He was happy until the very end and he died doing exactly what he loved most . . . running and playing in the yard. Tonight he runs with 2 other fun run dogs that have made their transitions this year. I am sure that they join with all the other beloveds who sit there at the Rainbow Bridge, eyes fixed on the horizon, waiting for all of us to join them.

Godspeed Sweet Trooper. I will never forget you. I will always love you. I am grateful to have been blessed by the grace of your presence.

Edited by Houndmama

You wrote a lovely and loving tribute to Trooper. You made him live again for those of us who didn't know him. Godspeed Trooper.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Millicent thank you for sharing Trooper with us. f_yellow

Godspeed sweet boy! Go organize some fun runs for the bridge kids. :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What a lovely tribute to a beloved greyhound. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Trooper...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry. :candle Another wonderful boy has gone to the bridge. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am so sorry. :( My deepest sympathy. You will be missed sweet Trooper. Run free and forever sweetheart. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Godspeed Trooper!!!!

:grouphug

Smile down on us with those crooked teeth.... My boy Harley had a crooked smile combined with an underbite!!!

Edited by guinness_the_greyt