Flynn September 2004 - September 2005

Guest lisa73

9857e5665995cf27a7909f0dba962a59.jpg

Flynn's story.....

A few weeks ago there was a post on Dog Pages regarding a ten month old Greyhound boy who had recently come into the pound, the appeal was placed by Alison W.

Flynn was rescued by an elderly gentleman from travellers after seeing them repeatedly beating him to the head. He gave them money and took the lad, unfortunatly it became apparent that Flynn's needs were to great for the elderly gentleman to continue to help him.

Flynn was blind and suffering with lots of violent fits, at the time we didnt have room to help but spoke to Laura and she stepped in and took him there until we had room to help ourselves with foster care and putting him on the road to what we hoped to be a medical recovery.

The plan was for me to take Flynn here after my holiday but on a nightout a couple of weeks ago I had casually mentioned him to Judy, she shocked me by speaking to Mike and although his own Father was seriously ill they felt that Flynn should go to themselves.

On arrival although on medication Flynn was still fitting and on that first day he had 9 fits in a 40 minute period, thankfully the vets managed to get him stabalised with high doses via IV and we managed to get the fits under control. He came home and remained fit free and we thought that it was eplilepsy and that we were getting it under control. Flynn was such a loving boy and so very easy to fall head over heels with, one of our vets Natasha was interested in offering him a home. She spoke to an optomoligist for us about his eyes which were junior cataracts from birth and he agreed to operate for us at cost and give him the sight back in one eye. Hydrotherapy was also planned for his wasted back leg muscles. Things were looking up and at last we felt Flynn had a chance of a future.

On Bank Holiday Monday, Judy and Mike met a group of us up at Talacre beach, and although un co ordinated and taking large steps, Flynn soon realised that on the beach there was nothing for him to fall over or hurt him and his confidence built and he was soon walking well and listening intently to the roar of the sea. For the first time his tail was up and he looked to come alive.

86acaffe571ee976ce1e5d6febb94f6f.jpg

When we made our way back to the pub after the walk we put him in the car expecting him to be tired but no he wanted to be out with us all and the other dogs and spent two hours begging for food and cuddles and then went home and trotted down the garden into the house.

We felt that he was working with us and we were winning.

Sadly during the course of the week as Flynn gained strength we saw a change in his behaviour, he became angry very easily and he began to get extremely aggresive and uncontrolable. If he had his eye sight he would have caused serious damage to his careers, he didnt seem to understand what he was doing, it was heartbreaking for all involved.

He returned to the vets Saturday morning who we cannot thank enough for levelling with us and telling us how they felt things were for Flynn. The fitting was so severe that he had to be heavily drugged to control it and wasnt being able to be lucid enough, they didnt feel with fits that severe in a dog so young that we were dealing with epilepsy and more likely a brain tumour, it was the news we knew was coming but hoped so much not to hear. He couldnt remain so highly medicated because it was affecting other organs and with pressure already put on for the fits there was no way forward for this lad, he had one battle too many to fight. It was decided that for the first time in his life at least we could give the lad peace, with love in his heart and good memories of a fabulous week surrounded by people who truly did love him.

Flynn left for the Bridge on Saturday and I know that he was met by Mike and Judy's Benson whose birthday it was.

I wanted to write this all down because the lad deserves to be remembered.

Mike, Judy are amazing people and what they did for Flynn was more than ANY dog could ever hope for. Sadly Mike's Dad also lost his own battle this week and passed away so they have had a terribly sad time. Thoughts for them would be greatly appreciated.

Flynn you may be gone but you will never be forgotten sweetheart.

That Other Land

by Anne

It is not far away, the place to which they go.

It is just beyond the starlit skies;

it's where the moonbeams grow -

And night is day and day is night and sorrow

comes no more.

Where love abides beyond the tides upon a

golden shore,

And we must wait here for awhile - until it's time

to go.

Although we carry on, we mourn, because we miss

them so;

And through the years, GOD dries our tears...

He said, "My peace I give".

Oh GOD... We thank you for your help and

the chance to live

Rest easy now boy, free from the pain and cruelty inflicted on one so beautiful and so young. Be at peace. So sorry we couldnt make it right for you big lad.

I know others have photos of the lad so will add them here.

ae62343fffaf6dc7948c3f5954eda23a.jpg

bca952d52bc4b6fcb574986061d43c24.jpg

Some dogs take a piece of your heart with them when they go, Flynn has taken a massive chunk.

We have asked for Flynn's ashes to come back to us and we will be taking him on his final journey back to the beach, the place where he probably spent the happiest day of his life.

Edited by lisa73

I'm so very sorry. Sending biggest hugs to all who loved and comforted this handsome fellow.

Godspeed, Flynn.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket

OMG....what a sad ending for such a beautiful boy. You tried so hard to help him....he knew love in the end and I'm sure he was most grateful for that. I am so sorry for your loss. Run like the wind Flynn. Your free now precious boy.... :f_red

:( I am so sorry. Run free sweetheart on the beautiful beaches of the Bridge. There are no more tears in heaven. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greymouse

The poor sweet baby. I am so glad that he got to be loved, even if it was for such a short time. He is at peace now. :f_white

Thank you to all who cared for him!

Condolences to Mike and family on the loss of his father. :f_red

Guest Winterwish
:(:cry1:grouphug Sending love to Flynn and his family who loved him so very much. He is so beautiful,and how blessed he is to forever know what it is to be loved,because of yourself,and your very compassionate and caring friends,Judy & Mike.I'm so sorry this is such a sad time for them.They're in my thoughts & prayers. :grouphug:f_pink Run free sweet Flynn. :f_pink:gh_child:hope

Guest FullMetalFrank

Rest well, Flynn, you are among many friends...

What a heartbreaking story; at least he knew love and joy in his final days, bless those who cared for him.

Thank you for sharing Flynn's heartbreaking story. Blessings to all who rescued him, loved him, and gave him a good taste of happiness and safety. :f_red

Flynn, dear, there will be nothing by good times for you now at the Bridge, safe and whole. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest jeannejj

Run free, sweet Flynn. He was fortunate to have known your love, and you have his memory.

Jeanne

Mandy, Mack, Charlie and Cash(foster)

Mason at the Bridge greeting Flynn.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow:f_red

Guest BellaDonna1

run free sweet boy run free!!!! Sometimes things are beyond are control, I have learned that big time at the adoption kennel. Thank you for giving Flynn a loving home...........jan