I Just Want To Talk About Fudgie

DianeFG

When I went to go adopt, I was a total greyhound novice. I went to the track instead of through an adoption group. So it was baptism by fire really. I had no literature, no support group, nothing... it was just "Here are your dogs.... have a nice life together."

I went to the track, and I said to the guy "I would like to adopt a little, fawn female".... how many times do you think that guy had heard those words :rolleyes:

He must have sized me up in a nano-second because he said "Sure, but I have a male I'd like you to look at first". I said ok, but was thinking to myself "No way! I want a small, fawn female."

He brings Goods out to the turn out pen..... an awesomely handsome white/red boy. Goods just walked over to me so calmly. He just looked up into my face and leaned into my leg. I was just in love so quick!! He was so gentle!! Who needs a small, fawn female anyway. I said to the guy "Oh, I love him!! I want to adopt Goods!!" He said, "Well, Goods has a littermate that he's really attached to. I won't separate them." I turned to my DH and he said, "It's up to you". So the kennel guy goes trotting off to get Fudgie..... I'm sure he was chuckling to himself the whole way.

Next thing I know, I hear the thunder of paws tearing down the wooden floor!! Fudgie comes blasting into the turnout pen!! I mean he was like a hurricane!! He came running right up to me and jumped on me with both paws on my shoulders!!! I almost fainted on the spot!!! The guy pulled Fudgie off me and just laughed. I said "No, I can't adopt him, he's just too crazy for me to handle". The guy says "It's both or nothing....." and just let that hang out there for me to digest. I must have just looked so desperate, because DH comes out with "Fudgie will be my dog." I was so relieved!! So, that was that! It was a deal. Goods was my dog and Fudgie was DH's dog :)

Well, once we got home, it only took about 10 minute before Fudgie was MY dog :)

That's the story of how we found each other. I just want to type some funny, cute and not so cute Fudgie stories.

Fudgie came to us 2 days after Goods. He had some issues at the vet's office, so they kept him longer.

I took 2 weeks off so Fudge and Goods could adjust to our home. I was home the night DH brough Fudgie back. I was standing in the doorway of the house when DH pulled in the driveway with Fudgie in the back. Goods was standing right next to me!! I was so excited!!!! DH goes to the back of the Blazer and pops the back open and let's Fudgie out..... without a leash!!!! Now, I was a novice, but I knew the couldn't go off leash!! OMG! There goes Fudgie... down the driveway and he takes a left up the street!! DH was just standing there like :blink: I screamed "Go after him!!!" It was night and we live in the freakin woods!! It was just a miracle of miracles that we caught him. He didn't know us from Adam, and he could have run off in the woods, never to be seen again!! I couldn't believe we caught him. He stopped to go pee. Thank God it was a long ride home for him.

DH said he thought that when Fudgie would see Goods in the house that Fudgie would go right to the door.... well, that was lesson #1 for DH.

Fudgie couldn't do the stairs for weeks.... Goods was amazing, he learned in days. He would go prancing past poor Fudgie... up and down, up and down and Fudgie would stand at the bottom and whine until DH went and carried him up :lol then down, then up, then down, then up. He finally gave the stairs a shot and looked like Bambi on Ice, but he did it :)

Then came the first time they were separated.... Goods stayed at the vet's overnight..... we went to work not knowing the despair Fudgie felt being without Goods. Well, we got home and I went to let Fudge out to potty.... he had ripped the miniblinds off the windows and chewed them till his mouth bled, he ripped all DH's nice work shirts and pants off the hangers and had diareaha on them, then walked through the diareaha all over the house... it was a disaster!!! I cleaned everything up, and we went to bring Goods home. Fudge was a total angel once his brother was back..... lesson #2 for DH (don't leave work clothes where Fudgie can reach them)

Then there were the fly-bys.... Fudgie couldn't do a fly-by to save himself. He always knocked someone over :rolleyes: Goods would come so close that you could probably only slip a piece of paper inbetween him and his fly-by victim :) You could stand still as a statue and know you were safe as he came barrelling across the yard, but when Fudgie got that look in his eye from across the yard, he would stop in his tracks, put a laser beam stare on you and here he came, 90 miles across the yard like a giraffe on crack, tongue flopping all around...... if you didn't go screaming and running for cover you'd find yourself looking up at the clouds wondering what the heli just hit you!!! Everyone in my family (except for the 4 yo) has fallen victim to Fudgie's fly-bys.... *it was always funny when it wasn't you* He looked so funny afterwards.... like he didn't know what happened :lol

Another thing about Fudgie was no food was safe, you couldn't sit at the table and not keep him on your radar.... if one of the kids was having a snack and stupidly got up and walked away from the table.... whaaa laaa!! Food has vanished!! He has gotten more free meals that way :lol There was one time when I made a delicious steak dinner for myself (this was in the early years) I put it on my t.v. tray and went back into the kitchen for something... came back, steak was gone :blink: two dogs sitting in the sphinx position, neither one licking their lips..... I still to this day don't know which of the two of them did it, but they have my respect because they managed to outwit me, so they deserved that steak as far as I'm concerned :P

Fudgie loved to take my kids stuffed animals :lol When we first adopted them, the kids were 5 and 7. It was a common occurence to hear one of the two kids screaming their brains out, I'd go running to the rescue and I'd see Fudgie go prancing by with one of the girl's stuffed animal hanging from his mouth, happy as a clam :lol I'd pry it from his mouth, all slimy and gross :P The kids learned quickly to pick up their stuff :) I liked that part.

Then there was the time Fudgie realized we had a pool, and he couldn't walk on water although he gave it his very best effort. I was at the far end of the yard, DH let Fudgie out to go potty, and he sees me.... directly across the yard from him.....the only thing separating us.... the pool. Here he comes, shortest path to me, a straight line! :blink: I know exactly what's coming, I'm yelling, he's not changing his course!!! SPLASH!!! He sank like a rock!! I jumped in and pulled him out. He was probably in the pool for 5 seconds, if that, but he never, ever went within 7 feet of that pool after that. :lol He did love the kiddie pool I bought him though :) He'd lay in that, and have a nice slurp of water ever now and then :lol He was such a funny, goofy dog :wub:

He hated the car! We tried nice little, short rides to the park, or around the block, but he just never like the car. He would pant and whine the whole time. He would never lay down. Everytime I took a corner he'd fall over :rolleyes: I ended up having to drive like 10 miles an hour so he didn't kill himself. Whenever Fudgie had to go for his check up, nobody would take the ride with me. Fudgie got very bad gas when he was nerved up..... even with the windows down that car was toxic :unsure He never got over that in all the years.

Fudgie would sleep like a rock, until about midnight... that was usually the first of three wake up calls I'd get from him. He LOVED to prowl the yard at night. I always put the flood lights on and would check for unwanted visitors, then Fudge would go poke around for a bit, come back in and sleep for another couple of hours until he decided it was time to check the yard again. I actually had Denise (Angelwhispers) talk to him and ask him to stop :lol and he did stop for a few months, but he started again and I just learned to deal with it. I'm still waking up, but I'm waking up to silence.

He rooed like nobody's business. If I started he would chime right in!! You could hear us in the yard :lol DH would be with a neighbor and the neighbor would be like "What the heck is that???" :huh and DH was embarrassed to say it was his wife... he'd just say "Oh, the dogs" :P I loved when Fudgie rooed.... Goods can't roo, so I'm really missing that. Sometimes Fudgie would stick his nose up to the sky to roo, but nothing would come out :lol

Those are just a few of my thoughts for now. I feel better having typed it.

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, *now* I understand why you called him a giraffe on crack! :colgate The fly-by stories are amazing--talk about "you can run but you can't hide!"

I can just *hear* the kennel guy chortling to himself as he went back inside to get Fudgie . . . . and how great for you all that he did!

Could we have some more pictures??

:grouphug:grouphug

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

What a special boy he was... :wub: I loved the "giraffe on crack" description. :D

I know how your heart aches for him. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Could we have some more pictures??

1614914[/snapback]

3fudgegoods.jpg

Thanks for asking :)

3fudgegoods-thumb.jpg

Look at the look on his face in the tennis court :lol He was such a goof :wub::(

Edited by Diane FG

Diane

DH took this picture of us after complaining there was never any room for him in the bed...... to this day I don't know what the problem was... there's room at the bottom corner :P

At the time I was annoyed with DH, but now I'm so glad he took this picture :) I spent a lot of cold winter days cuddling up with them.

3on_the_bed.jpg

Diane

Guest MaxAndMazy

Thanks for sharing your wonderful stories and pictures. I love the way you tell stories - I can really visualize what was going on :)

Sending lots of hugs for you and your family!

Thanks for sharing your Fudgie stories. You brought a smile to my day; I hope you had smile while you wrote them. I can feel the warmth in your notes.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds