Zelda's Legacy

Guest morristahlgreys

Guest morristahlgreys

Osteosarcoma has taken so many of our beloved friends - both grey and non-grey. But Zelda is special. She was a friend. I want to help her to leave a legacy to others who are still fighting or who will be. I'm calling it "Zelda's Legacy." I've chatted with Lois and this is what we have come up with.

Zelda loved to walk with her grey, non-grey and human friends in Springbank Park. I am inviting all Zelda's friends in the London, Ontario area to join me in a walk in Springbank Park on Sunday, October 2nd to raise money for an osteosarcoma research project. E-mail me for an entry/pledge form. Get as many pledges as you can (don't forget to ask your vet and pet store owner) and walk with us. I have a veterinary surgeon who specializes in cancer treatment at the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph, Ontario finding us a research project that we can donate to, so I'll have more info soon about that. Then have a greyt time walking with your friends and remembering Zelda.

For those of you who are too far away to walk with the London crowd: Have your own walk for Zelda. Make posters or handouts to explain why we are walking. Offer a prize to the highest pledge collector. Have a BBQ. E-mail me for ideas, a copy of the entry/pledge sheet, info about the research study. Either send me a cheque made out to the chosen foundation to send along with ours, or chose your own project. either way, let me know how you did, so we can post the results of our efforts on Zelda's behalf.

We are not helpless against ostesarcoma. Let's fight back!

Inge

Guest morristahlgreys

Well, I really need to get the hang of this.

I forgot to leave my contact info: istahl@execulink.com .

Invite all dogs in your area to walk with you. Osteo affects all breeds, not just greys.

Inge

Guest morristahlgreys
God bless you for the work you are doing to fight this awful disease.

1612487[/snapback]

Help us in the fight. Organize your friends, grey and non-grey, in a walk. Individually we can't do much, but together we are invincible.

Inge

Guest morristahlgreys
Bless you for all that you are doing.

Darlene

1612723[/snapback]

Again, help the cause. Organize your friends. Doing a walk is a breeze. Honest.

Inge

Guest morristahlgreys
Inge, Bless your Heart!

Please feel free to put up a small table at Hugs for Hounds and take and/or hand out pledges and if you want put a 'Donation' jar out.

Zelda will be featured on our Memorial Wall so you may want a table next to it.

Once again, Bless You

Liz

1614068[/snapback]

Thanks Liz:

I was going to ask. Is there a small table there that I can use. I have no more room in my van. This is coming together very suddenly.

For all of you out there who are feeling the grief of losing your beloved friend to this terrible cancer, or just want to help out in memory of a loved friend, organize a walk in your own area. Its easy. E-mail me for info or help. istahl@execulink.com

Inge, Bless your Heart!

Please feel free to put up a small table at Hugs for Hounds and take and/or hand out pledges and if you want put a 'Donation' jar out.

Zelda will be featured on our Memorial Wall so you may want a table next to it.

Once again, Bless You

Liz

1614068[/snapback]

Thanks Liz:

I was going to ask. Is there a small table there that I can use. I have no more room in my van. This is coming together very suddenly.

For all of you out there who are feeling the grief of losing your beloved friend to this terrible cancer, or just want to help out in memory of a loved friend, organize a walk in your own area. Its easy. E-mail me for info or help. istahl@execulink.com

1615821[/snapback]

Yes, Inge, I will have a table there for you.

Liz

OK - who's going to Dewey?!?! It's the following weekend, but don't you think some of us GTers at Dewey could try to organize something there?!??! We might just make a LOT of money for concer research!!

Anyone wanna help me plan something??

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest morristahlgreys
OK - who's going to Dewey?!?!  It's the following weekend, but don't you think some of us GTers at Dewey could try to organize something there?!??!  We might just make a LOT of money for concer research!!

Anyone wanna help me plan something??

1616704[/snapback]

You practically read my mind. I was talking to a greyhound friend today and we talked about how Dewey was such an amazing opportunity. And Cathy talked about all the dogs she saw when she was there last year who had had amputations. So many have been touched by osteo. All it takes is 2 or 3 people to get together, have pledge sheets ready at the registration desk. Decide to walk the beach at a certain time. Make up small jars to hold donations and ask the vendors if you can put a jar on their booth. It doesn't take up much space. Its probably too late to get a separate table, but you can ask.

Inge

Guest morristahlgreys

We have a start for Zelda's Legacy. The donation tin yielded a fair bit of money. I also have a description of the research projects if anyone wants to e-mail me. The Waterloo area greyhound people were talking about organizing a walk.

Guest morristahlgreys
Having lost my Most Divine Ms. SugarBear to osteo, what a tribute to the greyhounds and that terrible disease.

1627107[/snapback]

I know how awful it is to lose a beloved companion - it must be worse to lose them to such a horrible disease. Over the last few weeks I watched Zelda's family do everything they could to make her time special. I saw how helpless they felt at stopping the disease. This gives us a chance to fight back.

The research that is done in Guelph, is shared with other facilities so that more dogs can be helped. And often, what they learn about cancer in dogs can be applied to human cancers. It is far reaching, this research.

I don't know where you live, but you can help by organizing a walk and inviting your friends, dog or non-dog, grey or non-grey to join you in the walk; or at least to pledge you in your walk. It doesn't matter if only 2 walk or 200 - everything helps.

Inge

I was thinking the other day that Terry Fox died of osteosarcoma and that greyhound groups in Canada could organize and be part of Terry Fox events. Money raised by them could be donated to whatever research project you eventually identify. This disease needs to be stopped in people and in our greys. Just a thought. Greyhound Planet Week is generally around the same time as the Terry Fox runs as well.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I was thinking the other day that Terry Fox died of osteosarcoma and that greyhound groups in Canada could organize and be part of Terry Fox events. Money raised by them could be donated to whatever research project you eventually identify. This disease needs to be stopped in people and in our greys. Just a thought. Greyhound Planet Week is generally around the same time as the Terry Fox runs as well.

1629586[/snapback]

That is a greyt idea too!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greymouse

Inge, thank you so much for organizing this walk to raise funds to help in the research to find a better treatment or possibly even a cure for this devastating disease. Although we are still grieving for our sweet Zelda, it is comforting to know that some good is going to come out of this painful time. It really means so much to us. We will be putting posters and pledge sheets in pet stores, this week, and we already have some people signed up for pledges. The girls (our granddaughters, 5&9) are helping and already have $30.00 in pledges. I believe it is helping them with the grieving process, to feel that they are doing something to help.

If anyone wants information on the research projects that the funds from our fundraiser will be going to, please contact Inge (morristahlgreys). She has been in contact with the Dr. from the veterinary college that is involved with OSA research and he has sent her info on his projects that we can contribute to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest morristahlgreys
Inge, thank you so much for organizing this walk to raise funds to help in the research to find a better treatment or possibly even a cure for this devastating disease. Although we are still grieving for our sweet Zelda, it is comforting to know that some good is going to come out of this painful time. It really means so much to us. We will be putting posters and pledge sheets in pet stores, this week, and we already have some people signed up for pledges. The girls (our granddaughters, 5&9) are helping and already have $30.00 in pledges. I believe it is helping them with the grieving process, to feel that they are doing something to help. 

If anyone wants information on the research projects that the funds from our fundraiser will be going to, please contact Inge (morristahlgreys). She has been in contact with the Dr. from the veterinary college that is involved with OSA research and he has sent her info on his projects that we can contribute to.

1630251[/snapback]

Thankyou Patsy for your generous donation to Zelda's Legacy. It all helps.

Inge