Rss Feeds

Jeff

Do you currently use RSS  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently use RSS

• Yes, I use RSS
    • No, I don't use RSS

Ummm, ok, I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what this means. :blush

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'll 3rd that.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest GreyWolfDog
Ummm, ok, I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what this means.  :blush

1590109[/snapback]

here is a article about RSS Read here

but a real simple explaination is RSS = Real Simple Syndication

Edited by GreyWolfDog

:huh:blink: Read the linky, beyond my scope of brainpower. Would have to delete needed brain cells to make room for comprehension of Rss :blink::huh

Need all the brain cells I got since I work with radiation each day. :blush Or maybe that explains my problem.....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.

Basically it's like news feeds for your favorite web sites, but without actually having to go visit them. Using a "news reader" you "subscribe" to a bunch of sites, and then when new content is published/posted you'll see the updates in the news reader. Many people who blog and read others blogs use them to check for updates. It's a lot easier to check one program than it is to open 10, 20, 30+ web sites.

I like to use bloglines.com as my news reader. This way no matter what computer I'm at I can check my rss feeds. Plus it's free and has many of the same features of some of the locally installed programs that I have used in the past.

Here is a description I found on the web in case that made no sense what-so-ever:

RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites, including major news sites like Wired, news-oriented community sites like Slashdot, and personal weblogs. But it's not just for news. Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.

RSS-aware programs called news aggregators are popular in the weblogging community. Many weblogs make content available in RSS. A news aggregator can help you keep up with all your favorite weblogs by checking their RSS feeds and displaying new items from each of them.

With all that said... I find message boards hard to follow in an RSS feed, but if you were just limited to Amber Alert forum then that would be beneficial to get the updates quickly. A seperate feed for each forum may not be bad either, but at that point you might as well just visit the site. ;)

edited: whoops... I didn't see GWD's post before I posted the above...

Edited by snowjay

Guest bcswartzfager

Having an RSS feed for the Amber Alerts is a good idea. You would probably want to establish a standard format for the topic title so that the critical information (like city and state) would be in the feed item title, for those RSS readers that only initially display the item title.

Jeff, does the forum software/system already provide you with the tools you need to make the feed, or are you going to have to build/acquire an additional tool to do this?

Guest cognitiveg

I understand why you wouldnt want to do it for all the forums but I wouldnt mind seeing it for them....Maybe the RSS would filter out just the "today" posts so that you only see the new ones... I cant wait to be your beta tester!