Sudden Loss Of Matt

Guest auntiesara

Guest auntiesara

Many GTers from the New England area have met Matt at Greyhound Friend's or Greyhound Rescue of New England events or at York Beach walks or Sunday morning walks in the Boston area. He is the Red Longdog- Greyhound Saluki-with long ears. Some of you have noticed his pic in Everything Else Greyhound from the walks.

When I saw his picture on the internet I could see what a calm, kind, and stable personality he had. He was abandoned on the Texas prairie with 4 others. They were helped by Saluki and Greyhound rescue. Matt was treated for Heartworm and Ehrlichia before he got a ride to PA with a Saluki show judge and we picked him up there.

He got on well with our existing dogs. Since I'm a petsitter he was able to go to work with me and walk with some of the clients. He was aalways outgoing and cheerful. We were trying to teach him not to run up to other dogs we would meet at parks and rear up out of excitement.

Since he was a Jackrabbit hunting dog until we adopted him at what vets believe was age 8 he still wanted to hunt. A few months ago he caught a skunk while on his leash in a city neighborhood. Now he caught the porcupine behind the garage at his summer home in VT. The floodlights were on and he was on his tie out. ( We never let him off his leash except for his own back yard in Boston,which is securely fenced the whole time we had him.) Charlie found him with the porcupine a minute later. As you know we rushed him to to e-vet. He seemed okay until bedtime last night and we took him back to the e-vet. He walked into the treatment room by himself. He was always so strong and resilliant. Even when the vet said thaat he was critical we believed he would come back. We were able to go into the treatment room while the doctor and nurse continued CPR but it was too late to say goodbye. Our other Greys had prolonged illnesses-Osteo and Heartwormwith kidney failure, but they were able to tell us they were too tired to go on and we were with them at the end. Charlie is driving Matt to the crematorium in Foxboro, MA. We tried to show his sisters his body in the car and tell them he is going with Rosie now, but they don't understand. I know so many of you have urns on the mantle or little cemeteries and you know how hard this is.

Sara and Charlie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss of Matt. :f_white

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Oh Sara, I am so, so sorry. :( I had no idea a porcupine could be such a problem! Think of Matt playing w Oatmeal and all the other pups at the Bridge.

Peace to you and Charlie and Matt and all your pups.

:f_white

Donna

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Jengonetothedogs

Those of us who have met Matt will very much miss that beautiful soul at beachwalks. I'm very sorry for your tragic loss.

Guest Snowy8

:f_red:gh_lay:f_red

I am so so sorry...my heart goes out to you & your family & the pups. Bless your heart. I will keep you in my prayers all day so that you may have strength.

Hilda

I'm so sorry. Your posts have always shown the world of love you have for this special boy, and I know you'll all miss him terribly.

Run with the wind, Matt.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NancyJ

Sara, I am SO sorry about Matt. I have met you, I think, on the greyhound walks on Sunday. I am the lady who lost her beloved Pete recently, and I understand what you are going through. If you would like to chat with me on the telephone about Matt, I would be happy to talk with you. Just send me an email and I'll respond with my contact info. My email is njbreen@earthlink.net.

Again, I am so very sorry. Matt was a cutie. I hope you will post a picture of Matt on this topic so people can see what a beautiful dog he was.

Nancy

Guest Winterwish

I'm so sorry you all are going thru' this.

Your sweet-faced boy,Matt,knows forever what it is to be deeply loved because of both of you.Sending thoughts and hugs of comfort to you both and your pups.Matt is with you always,and you will see him again. :grouphug:f_pink:angel:gh_lay Run free Matt :f_pink

Sara and Charlie...I am so so sorry. My deepest sympathy. Run free with our Angels sweet Matt...I know they will show you the way until you see Mommy and Daddy again...Godspeed... :grouphug:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My heart goes out to you for your tragic loss. :grouphug

Godspeed, precious Matt... :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.