We Only Have 1 Hound Now...

Guest marnie

I am so sorry for your loss. It almost seems like Barney had to leave so he could be your guardian angel while you were in the hospital.

What beautiful tributes to them both.

I hope that your heart and body are healing. Bless you for adopting the seniors.

:f_pink:f_white:f_pink

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am so sorry for your losses. What beautiful tributes to your boys. I am glad you are mending well and back on the road to recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest OnecoRose
It has been a hard year for my husband and I...I had a terrible car crash (a drunk driver hit my van from the rear) and dislocated and broke my hip, collar bone, eye socket and I had a very serious brain bleed and then while I was in the hospital for two weeks, my Greyhound Barney died.  After my oldest Greyhound Duke turned 14 years old, his health soon went down hill and we had to put him down.  Now my DH and I only have one Greyhound left, Scotch (Commander Gent) who is 12 years old.

I finally wrote memorials for Barney and Duke and wanted to post them here at GreyTalk.

Remember to hug your hounds and your family everyday and be happy to have one more day with them, because soon they may be gone.

Marn---------------

In Loving Memory of

BelsBarneyRubble (Barney)

5/1/96 – 2/9/05

barneyrubble.jpg

Barney first came into Gene and my life when Recycled Racers got a call in late April of 2004, asking the group to take an unwanted 8 year old Greyhound in Canyon City, Colorado.  Barney was not originally placed by Recycled Racers but Sandy Johnson, the adoption coordinator, agreed to claim him, have his vaccinations updated, have his health checked and teeth cleaned, find a foster home for him, and then place him permanently, which of course cost Recycled Racers a chunk of money.

I talked to Sandy later and she explained Barney's predicament and I said that my husband Gene and I would drive to pick Barney up.  Soon after picking Barney up, Gene and I talked about adopting Barney.  He was so calm, sweet and gentle and won us over during the long drive back to Denver.  We had originally told Sandy that we were just going to foster Barney, since we already had two other male Greyhounds, and didn't think we were in the market for another one.  But after one week of fostering Barney, I called Sandy up and begged her to let us adopt him.  Barney got along great with our other two senior Greyhounds (Scotch who turned 12 in 5/05 and Duke who turned 14 in 5/05).  Gene and I just couldn't let someone else adopt this sweet Greyhound.  Barney happily lived with us for 9 months; he had no health problems and was so energetic and full of life.

In February of 2005, I was hit by a drunk driver and put in the hospital for a few weeks with a broken hip, broken collar bone, broken eye socket and serious brain bleed.  My husband didn't tell me until a week after I had surgery because he didn't want me to be upset, but he had to put Barney to sleep a day after my surgery.  What had happened was so difficult for me to deal with, a few days after I went into the hospital, Barney had collapsed and couldn't get up or move and was unable to eat.  Gene and Sandy Johnson took Barney to the vet and the next day were told by the vets there that Barney was dying most likely of a tumor in his spine.  My dear husband had to make the decision to put Barney down.  I can only imagine how awful and alone Gene must have felt at that point in time.  Gene stayed with Barney and held him during the euthanasia process.  I so wished that I could have held Barney one more time or that I could have been there to whisper in Barney's ear that it was alright and that I loved him and would never forget him.

I will never forget when my husband told me about what had happened to Barney.  He hugged me and started sobbing and asked that I forgive him for putting Barney down.  It broke Gene's heart to lose Barney and it broke his heart even more to tell me when I was so sick.  I leaned over from my hospital bed and held Gene and told him he did what had to be done.  I love Gene for being so strong to handle Barney's illness alone and for being so concerned about my health and waiting until I could handle the awful news.

We will never forget you Barney.  Even though you were only with us for 9 months, it felt like you lived with us for years and years.  Barney has recently been joined by his friend and house mate Duke at the Rainbow Bridge.  Good bye sweet Barney.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Loving Memory of

Aquila Billybump (Duke)

5/5/91 – 6/17/05

duke-snood.jpg

Duke was 10 years old when he was returned to Recycled Racers because his owners had divorced and neither wanted him anymore.  My husband Gene and I agreed to foster Duke until he could be placed.  Of course, after a few days in our home we could not let him go and we ended up adopting sweet old Duke.

Duke was calm, sweet, comical and so lovable.  It is hard to believe how his original owners could have let him go.  He was handsome, house broken, quiet and he loved everyone he met, including cats, small animals and children.  We will always remember how Duke would smile, showing his front teeth and how he loved to romp in fresh snow with our other Greyhounds.  Duke lived a few months past his 14th birthday and we loved every day with him.

I would totally encourage new adopters to think about adopting an older Greyhound if one is available.  Senior Greyhounds are truly the best kept secret of Greyhound adoption.

We will never forget Duke, a.k.a. Hubba Bubba.  Duke joins his house mate Barney and his brother Dare at the Rainbow Bridge.  Good bye sweet Duke.

Marnie and Gene Grosz

and Scotch the Greyhound

1574606[/snapback]

f_yellow What a beautiful tribute.

I am so sorry for your loss of Duke and Barney. :candle

You have been through such a terrible time. Sending prayers for you, Gene and Scotch. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm glad that you're feeling better. What beautiful memorials to those wonderful dogs.

Hugs to you and your husband. You must both be very special, kind people.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest Hounds4Grammy

Marnie, any of us who has had to put our beloved hounds down can feel your pain. I just lost my first adopted sweet boy on June 28th to bone cancer. He died in my arms and I cried for three days. He was the reason my sun came up every morning. Winslow was a beautiful red fawn 9 year old boy that I treasured for four years. In January I brought a 5 year old little black girlie-girl home and I know Tess misses Winslow as much as I do.

I am going to foster a one-year old boy this weekend and I know now that I am addicted and can't imagine my life without one (or several) of these hounds in it.

Your tributes were beautiful.

Hugs those hounds, everyone

Grammy

Guest lisa73

Marnie, I am so sorry for the loss of two special hounds and also that you have had such a hard time of it recently :cry1:bighug Thinking of you all xx

Guest Winterwish

:f_white:hope:hope:f_white You have been thru' so much.Your dear greys,Barney & Duke are with you forever & ever.Your tribute was an honor to read.Sending hugs & prayers.- mary & Dreamer

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest subrizim

Marnie-

Paris, Lucy and I are so sorry for your losses this year. I know that you and Gene gave your boys the best home -- all hounds should be so lucky. Please know that our hearts go out to you, Gene and Scotch. Take care. :grouphug

xoxox

Michelle, Lucy and Paris

f_yellow