Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ivdd'.
Found 3 results
Wondering if anyone has done back surgery on on older greyhound? I’ve done three in the past on younger dachshunds, but am not sure what to do for my older hound should that be the recommendation on Monday. My beautiful 9 yo greyhound started limping and favoring (sometimes not using) her back right leg approximately three months ago. The vet did an exam and it’s her back, lower back. He put her on carprofen and she did better, in fact no more limping - but she took a bad fall (lots of scrapes and blood - one wound still healing) and stumbled another time, and that can be a side effect of carprofen so I stopped it after about 7 weeks. We saw the vet again a week later and he said to take her off of it because it didn’t seem as though it made much difference in her pain during exam although he thought the fall was a result of her back problem not the carprofen. But, he wanted us to see a neurosurgeon for an MRI or myelogram to “make sure we aren’t missing anything.” (Like a spinal tumor which one of his dogs had.) So, with my dachshunds they went from myelogram straight into surgery, but one wasn’t able to walk and the others were having difficulty. They clearly needed surgery ASAP. And, they were younger. I’m concerned I may be asked if I want to go to surgery Monday depending on results of whatever type of scan. And, I’m just not sure about surgery given she has some discomfort but she is walking (odd gait though), no longer holding her right leg up, eating, pooping (although in an odd position), and doing pretty well. I still give her carprofen about once a day, not twice anymore. No gabapentin or tramadol - yet. So, has anyone done a spine surgery on a greyhound? Advice? Results? If I decide against surgery - is there any point in an expensive scan that she will have to be anesthetized for? I’m just not sure what to do for my beautiful brindle girl. Our appointment is Monday. Thx.
Hi. Our 11 year old Grey, Gilby, was recently "diagnosed" with IVDD or a combination of LSS and IVDD, but we have not had an MRI. The neurologist did a lot of visual tests, etc. We'd had Gilby into emergency about a month ago after he was shivering, pacing, panting and would not lie down for hours. We initially thought it might be bloat, but the xrays did not show that. His blood work was also clean. Since that time he's been on a low dose of prednisone, tramadol and had some muscle relaxant. He had two more bad/painful episodes after having a chiropractor do treatments the day prior. After that last episode, when we almost put him down but just couldn't, is when we received the diagnosis above. He was put on a higher dose of pred and gabapentin was added, along with staying on tramadol. We also have been adding a supplement to his food. I've been roasting turkey and chicken and using the skinless part on top of his regular dogfood which is grainless. Yesterday, I noticed a swelling just at the upper part of his left front leg. I can feel that it is different than the right leg, and I've never noticed it before, although I am hyper-sensitive right now. He does not exhibit any pain when I lightly go over it, but I have noticed that he looks down at it periodically. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell is he's limping and/or favoring this leg, because many years ago he fractured the lower part and it's entirely fused, so he's always had a significant limp. Unlike many of you, I am going to just say it -- I don't feel that I have the emotional support I so need from my husband right now. I feel terribly alone and terribly afraid of what is likely wrong with Gilby. My husband just says to "watch it and see what happens," yet I feel like we need to get it x-rayed and if it is osteo, which I can't imagine anything else, then we need to be graceful and put him down since he's also dealing with the spinal issues. I also just read where I shouldn't be feeding any of the dogs turkey or chicken...is this true? I would not know what else to feed them when they don't want to eat just the dry food. Also, could the swelling on the leg be anything else? I've read where pred can cause joint swelling....or is this just my "wishful thinking." I am an emotional wreck over this and love this dog to pieces, yet don't want him to suffer. I don't know what to do. I would love any input. Thanks much, Allyson
We had Vinnie at North Star in NJ today to see a neurologist. Her diagnosis: Suspected cervical spinal pain /C1-T2 myelopathy - Dx: IVDD, stenosis, neoplasia, inflammatory (this is exactly how it is written on her report). We are starting him on Gabapentin (300mg every 12 hours) in addition to the Rimadyl.