Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'chemo'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Greyhound Life
    • Announcements and News
    • Health and Medical discussion
    • Food and dietary discussion
    • Training and Behavior discussion
    • Cute and Funny things Greyhounds do
    • Everything else Greyhound
    • Greyhound Events
  • General
    • Off Topic
    • Introductions & Biography
    • Remembrance
    • Greyt Information
    • Pet Merchandise
    • Technical Questions about Greytalk


  • Greytalk Calendar
  • Events

Product Groups

There are no results to display.


  • Articles

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Real Name

Found 8 results

  1. Our retired racer, Puma, has always been a very happy and healthy greyhound. Recently, while walking down some stairs, she froze up and yelped. After carrying her down the stairs, it became noticeable that she was limping pretty severely. Luckily we had pain meds on hand. We took good care of her with pain meds and a heating pad, and although the limp definitely improved, we ended up taking her to the vet about a week later just to be safe. On Friday, after taking X-Rays, our vet informed us that Puma has Osteosarcoma in her right front shoulder. Fortunately, we did catch it quickly and there are no signs of tumor or spreading to the chest or lungs. Despite getting a diagnosis early on the game, our vet informed us that this cancer spreads rapidly and that her life expectancy is probably only three to five more months unless we choose to amputate the leg and begin chemo. We are having a very difficult time deciding whether to just accept the cancer, begin palliative care and keep her on four legs until it is time to euthanize in a month or two. Or do we go forward with the amputation and chemo in the hope that is extends her life for another year +. Any advice, recommendations or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ginny had her second round of Carboplatin on Friday and the following day her ankle was quite swollen just under where the IV was administered. It didn’t seem to be painful. We saw one of the general practice vets yesterday. She updated the oncologist over the phone. We were told it’s mostly likely a blood vessel inflammation and sent home with Rimadyl. They didn’t think it’s an infection and the oncologist wasn’t comfortable prescribing antibiotics. Today the swelling hasn’t changed but Ginny is in some discomfort and limping on that leg. Has anyone had a similar problem with chemo? Our concern is that if the ankle becomes more painful she won’t be able to walk (she had her front right leg amputated about a month ago).
  3. Hello Fellow Greyhound Moms and Dads, My husband and I just returned from the animal hospital where our son, Rudy, is currently undergoing surgery to remove a tumor in his spleen. There is a likely diagnosis of Hemangiosarcoma, but we wont know for sure until early next week after they biopsy it. The doctor said there is a 80-90% chance of the tumor being malignant based on the blood pooling in the area, as well as other surrounding factors. Needless to say, we are devastated by the possible diagnosis - this is our first Greyhound and he felt perfectly fine up until this morning. Further, with a confirmed Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis, the vet has given him a timetable of 2-4 months to live past surgery, possibly more if chemo becomes an option. In the likely event that it is Hemangiosarcoma, does anyone have any knowledge of or previous experience with this type of cancer in Greyhounds? Or perhaps any recommended oncologists in the Boston area? If chemo becomes an option for him, does anyone have any suggested types/methods of chemo or meds they've found success with for Greyhounds? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Hello, I just found out Friday that my beloved greyhound Tommy has osteosarcoma (shoulder - left front leg). Tommy is 10 1/2 years old and we've had him for 4 1/2 years. He is our only pet. We want to make the decision that is the best and the kindest for Tommy. One of our options is removal of his left front leg and then chemo. Does anyone have any information about how greyhounds tolerate chemo? Also how often they would need it? How is their mobility after amputation? Can they climb up/down steps? Tommy loves to get on the sofa - would he still be able to do that? We are having his alkaline phosphatase tested on Tuesday - also a test of fluid from his local lymph nodes. If surgery does not seem like it would be in his best interests, our other option would be to put him to sleep. We would miss him terribly but we want to make sure his quality of life would be good and that he wouldn't suffer needlessly. He's the first greyhound I've ever had so I have no previous experience with this. I just want to make sure we make the best decision for him and I appreciate your help. Thank you.
  5. Has anyone read and/or used this book?? It seems to be really comprehensive and mostly up-to-date. I'm going to get it and will update afterwards, but wondered if anyone else already has?
  6. Some of you may have read my last post http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/294571-saving-daisy/?hl=%2Bsaving+%2Bdaisy about Daisy being diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma. She is 16 days post amp and 3 days after her first chemo treatment. She is doing great. No vomiting or soft poo. She seems to be feeling great, but we are prepared that it may not always be this way. Daisy had her staples out on the 15th and this morning we noticed that a spot on her wound was starting to 'open' I called our vet and took her right in. Fortunately they did not have to give her anymore stiches, just some cream for the wound and told me to put a tshirt on her. HA...put a shirt on Daisy...right! Instead I wrapped her up in a little scarf, a lot easier to tackel than getting her to cooperate putting on one of my husbands tees. Anyway, she is doing awesome and is acting like a totally normal pup The vets today gave her 'Whole body support traumeel rehmannia teapill wei qi booster animax -has anyone used any of these medications and supplements? -how do I stop her from licking her wound other than a tshirt? --Here is Daisy with her cute wrap
  7. I haven't posted on here a lot. I have only had Daisy less than a month, but we have been through more with her than we probably will with a lifetime of dogs. We got her on Saturday December 29, 2012. On Jan 2, we learned that she had a tumor and had her front left leg and shoulder blade amputated. We were told that it was osteosarcoma. I learned of "Charlie's Cancer diet" through Charlies Dad, and have been doing everything in my power to get Daisy well. This morning I took her in for her first oncology visit and to get her staples removed, and we are told that it is Hermangiosarcoma (cancer of the blood vessels) . They did ultrasounds and thankfully they did not find the cancer anywhere else. They started chemo today, but the doctors do not seem optimistic. However; Daisy is the strongest most inspiring dog I have ever met. Have any of you experienced hermangio? Have you experienced hermangio in the bone? This is my first 'sick' pet and I am willing to do all that I can. I have started her on the 'cancer diet' and I am supplementing her with different teas and herbs to boost her immune system. currently she is taking L-arginine echinacea goldenseal sweet wormwood (arteminisin) cod liver oil milk thistle cats claw dandelion root astragulus root essiac formula whew...any advice suggestions, or info are appreciated -Heather and Daisy <3
  8. Hi Everyone! I used to be a member of this board quite a while ago, but haven't posted in ages. I had trouble logging in so ended up making a new account. Here's my handsome fellow: My greyhound Tristan is 9 years and 4 months old, and about a week and a half ago he started limping on his front right leg. He's had a shoulder injury before so I thought it was just that, but since he hadn't healed up we took him to the vet. Of course I'm really scared for osteo. The vet took x-rays and has sent them to a radiologist for diagnosis, but we won't hear back until tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience looking at x-rays? I thought I'd post them here just in case. If anyone has any guesses, I'd love to hear. Otherwise I'll update this page when we hear back tomorrow. I'll try to attach the images, but you can also see them here: https://picasaweb.go...Mb63ar9yKn9iAE#
  • Create New...