Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Anorexia'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Greyhound Life
    • Announcements and News
    • Health and Medical discussion
    • Food and dietary discussion
    • Training and Behavior discussion
    • Cute and Funny things Greyhounds do
    • Everything else Greyhound
    • Greyhound Events
  • General
    • Off Topic
    • Introductions & Biography
    • Remembrance
    • Greyt Information
    • Pet Merchandise
    • Technical Questions about Greytalk

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Real Name

Found 1 result

  1. Sorry this is long. I couldn't update my original post regarding KiKi. It is not looking good for my old girl and I am afraid I will be saying goodbye to her towards the end of next week or whenever my husband gets back to London from the US. About four weeks ago KiKi started acting like she wasn't feeling well and was getting weaker in her back end, almost to the point she couldn't stand on her own from a lying position. She also started not eating much…which I attributed to pain. She was diagnosed with LS about 1.5 years ago when we were living in Chicago. She had been on 50mg Rimadyl bid and 100mg Gabapentin bid which she was tolerating well until this point. I figured she just turned 12 and it was about time we upped her meds since she had been on this regimen for quite some time. Monday, Feb 17th I took her in because she was really struggling to get up from a lying position. It had been over a year since her last x-rays (in Chicago) and this is a new vet for us in London so she wanted to get a new set just to rule out any tumor, etc on her spine. She could tell she was really hurting. Tuesday afternoon I took her in for the x-rays. Not much new other than the narrowing between L3-4 and then L5-S1. However, she had significant back spasms, even while sedated for the x-rays. Plan was to increase her meds. ( Stopped Rimadyl, added 200mg Tramadol bid, and upped Gabapentin to 200mg bid).Got her home and a few hours later she shifted in bed and her back leg was wet; she had urinated. I figured the incontinence was due to the sedative they gave her. Through the night she ended up incontinent 3 more times. Called the vet Wednesday morning and we figured either manipulating her cause inflammation and may have impinged the nerve even more, so we were going to give it a couple days. Throughout the day she increased her water intake and needed to pee often. Around 5 I took her out and she just so happened to pee on a painted strip in the road and I noticed blood. Went to the vet and picked up a sample collection and got a sample…super red. Started her on an antibiotic and then sent it off for culture. So from Wed-Monday she only ate about 1.5C of food on her own and most of that was on Sunday. I force fed her a bit but she just would not eat. I took her in Feb 25th for an antibiotic injection (since she wasn't eating) and got a B12 shot to increase her appetite and drew labs. Vet called the next morning and her creatinine (117 umol/l) and phosphate (1.64 mmol/l) were slightly high and her calcium was low (2.22 mmol/l); liver values were high ALP (177 u/l@37C) and ALT (111 u/l@37C); and we were waiting on labs for pancreatitis (which ended up negative). So I had to take her in for an IV the next two days to try and get her phosphorus levels down. By this time she had lost just over 6 pounds. She has continued not to eat since then. The only food she gets is the food I force feed her (which sounds more barbaric than it is and she tolerates me doing it), however, it is still not enough nutrition for her and she has now lost just over 10lbs. She has zero appetite and will turn her head away from any food that is placed in front of her. I have tried ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to entice her. She is a very fussy eater when she feels well and does not eat food that any normal dog would devour. There has been no vomiting or diarrhea. Her stools are a little loose and sort of orangish colored…soft due to the new diet and the color I'm not sure why. I took another urine sample in on Monday and it was still full of blood. She had acupuncture for her back on Tuesday and then Wed I took her back to the vet for x-rays of her bladder and kidneys and a scope of her bladder. They ended up just doing an ultrasound and saw nothing so didn't proceed to put her through any more. I will preface this by saying I do not like this vet….but I have had to ask for everything so far that they have done or given KiKi. He wanted to just refer us to an orthopedic doc for her back, for which I told him even if they could do surgery, she is too old and I am not going to put her through that. I then had to ask if we could start a different antibiotic because clearly this one wasn't cutting it after 2 weeks. I also asked for some medication to coat her stomach in case she had an ulcer or just felt sick from all the meds. He agreed and it has been almost 48 hours with the new meds and no improvement. As I said, we are in London without a car so it is hard to transport her around to find other vets and she stresses so much going to them I don't think she needs the added stressor. At this time, she is having a very difficult time walking and I have to support her when she potties. She is drinking water but will not eat at all on her own. I know it is time to say goodbye but my husband is in the states waiting for his visa and passport so he can get back into London. She is comfortable (except for when she has to walk) and I can still get some nutrition into her. So as soon as he gets back we will spend a little time together and then say goodbye. I am a mess and I don't think I have ever cried so much in my life. Her little body is just giving out on her.
  • Create New...