Jump to content

NeylasMom

Members
  • Content Count

    7,750
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About NeylasMom

  • Rank
    Greyaholic

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    MD near DC

Previous Fields

  • Real Name
    Jen

Recent Profile Visitors

3,924 profile views
  1. Ohhh, thanks for these suggestions! The K&H bed looks perfect other than being $$. Will check out the Orvis too.
  2. Canceled my trip for this reason. I would have been there by now. Instead I did yoga, replaced electrical outlets, and picked up my CSA in this horrific heat and humidity.
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see that.
  4. Thanks for the update. Glad it's helping Bea.
  5. Glad she's recovering well overall. Did OSU stop their free chemo? I'm also curious, did the vet tell you those are the survival numbers without chemo? Those seem more like what I would expect with chemo, but I'm admittedly a bit out of the loop as it's been a few years since I've dealt with an osteo dx. Of course I hope you have multiple happy years together.
  6. Thanks for the feedback so far. To be a little more specific, pond would have water that moves. I don't know a lot about ponds, but I am interested in the type that recirculates the water with a pump. Actually saw a neighbor's that is on a bit of an incline and the water runs down over some rocks before landing in the pool of water. I don't know how much that affects things like algae, etc (presumably better?), But that's what I'm thinking of. Highly unlikely I would put fish in it. More am extension of my garden so irises, etc growing in it.
  7. I haven't decided yet. Will be fairly game day decision wise. I do need to reach out to my sitter to see if she wants to stay here with Skye. If not, that makes things a lot less likely. But yes, if we go, things will be different. Violet can't do as much these days anyway so we will likely spend a lot more time at our home base at Seneca Lodge, but that's fine with me
  8. Two outdoor related questions for you: Does anyone have a non-elevated bed (not interested in the coolaroo type, we have those and Violet doesn't love them) that is suitable for leaving outdoors all of the time (completely waterproof) and thick enough for an older grey who needs an orthopedic bed? Bonus if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. And does anyone have a man-made pond in their yard that the dogs have access to? Have you had any issues? Do you worry about or have to monitor for blue-green algae in the summer? Thanks!
  9. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we should continue to explore it as an option.
  10. You might want to search H&M as well as there's been some discussion in osteo threads. My experience, 0/2. I tried it with both Neyla and Zuri when they had osteo, but didn't see much if any improvement from it. But worth keeping in mind that in both cases that was later on when it was getting more difficult to manage their pain. And on the other hand, I didn't see noticeable side effects from it so I would try it again in the future. Also, you may know this, but it supposedly doesn't relieve pain itself, but enhances the pain relieving abilities of an NSAID so you give them together.
  11. Has anyone had a vulvoplasty done on their dog? I'm pretty convinced we're at the point where it needs to be done, but I'd love to hear about people's experiences. Honestly, the scariest part might be the 2 week recovery period of inactivity (this is for Skye, not Violet). In all seriousness, any type of anesthesia/surgery always scares the crap out of me, but I think it will give her relief. The specialty place I like has a surgical group so I'm thinking about reaching out to them. It's probably overkill, but I feel better because they have an ER on site, can consult with a vet anesthesiologist, and while it's its own practice, Skye has had an emergency dental there so her anesthesia protocol can easily be passed along. I extra don't want to do this with the current restrictions in place, but I'll at least get the ball rolling. Thanks for any input you can give.
  12. Glad you were able to get in! Please keep us posted. I chose the same route as you for Zuri though his radiation treatments were 2 total on consecutive days. Unfortunately we were one of the about 20% that don't see a benefit from the radiation, but the Zoledronate did help. Hoping you have fantastic results!
  13. Fwiw, the palliative specialist we worked with was the one who guided us to increase the Gabapentin dosage to manage Zuri's osteo pain as a first line of defense (NSAID was already at max dose). I think the benefit is the general lack of side effects and it does seem to manage osteo pain quite well. I've never had luck with Tylenol/codeine or Amantadine, unpleasant side effects with the former and completely useless with the latter, but obviously that's an n of 2 and just anecdotal. It's worthwhile to try different things and see what works best, but I think Gabapentin can be quite effective. I do agree with Greysmom on the Tramadol. Not sure what vets are doing these days with it. We had Zuri on it, but that was several years ago now and at they time the folks in the know we're saying it wasn't that effective for dogs.
  14. Gabapentin has a huge safety range so that amount is not out of the question, but if you jump from 400 to 800 you're going to have horrible side effects. I wrote a long post before about how to increase Gaba, will have to check back later to find it or explain again, but quick version, change one dose at a time, not all three, by 100 mg, wait for any side effects to subside, change another dose. When all 3 are increased by 100 mg, and side effects have subsided, start again if needed. Fyi, dogs can build up a tolerance to Gabapentin so another reason increasing the dose is reasonable. Fwiw, my male (70ish lbs) was up to 500-600 per dose with his osteo before I euthanized him. And my current greyhound just has back issues and seh gets 300 am, 400 pm, but when she has to be sedated she gets 500 the night before and 500 the morning of to keep her calm. This is a 60 lb max female. ETA: I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. My other comment, coming completely from a place of knowing your pain is to remember that you're dealing with a very painful terminal disease. If you can't control his pain, or he's having noticeable side effects from the med increases it's probably time. I'm also assuming he's already maxed out on a NSAID and is making taking Tramadol?
  15. Not enough information to know. Do you have video? That would be easiest.
×
×
  • Create New...