Ruby

Enough is enough. Really. This year has been absolutely the worst for me, and it may get even worse.....

Of course the most terrible thing, without a doubt, was that my daughter died in April.

In addition, Buddy was sick, and then diagnosed with lymphoma in March, so we had to say goodbye to him.

A month after Elizabeth died, Rascal had surgery for hemangiopericytoma. While she is doing well, we know there is a very good chance it will come back.

Now, Ruby. I took her to the vet yesterday, as she just wasn't 'right' lately. Not herself, didn't seem to be able to settle, etc. She did fall down the stairs about a month ago (tripped on the cord of the Shop Vac which the DH left in front of the stairs :angry: ), but she didn't seem to really be hurt at that time. She was holding her left front paw up briefly, but she seemed OK.

By the time we got to the vet, the technician noticed she was limping. The longer we were there, the more pronounced it became. The vet noticed it right away, and said her shoulder area (upper leg) was a little swollen, and it was tender. So she needed to get an x-ray of the area.

She said the x-ray showed nothing extremely remarkable....just an area that isn't quite the same color as the rest of the area, but perhaps Ruby got a hairline fracture when she fell, and that is what's causing the problem. She also said that the BAD news is that bone cancer usually has a delay of about a month from the time the dog presents with pain. The x-rays might not show it initially, but would in a month.

SOOOO, my dear little Ruby may have osteo. As though we haven't been through enough already.....Ruby is now on Deramaxx, and also on antibiotics because her gingivitis is bad. I had been doing so well on the tooth-brushing....Ruby had a dental in March, a week after Buddy died, and after that I was brushing her teeth twice a day. Then Elizabeth died and I got out of the habit. At that point brushing the dogs' teeth was pretty low on my list of priorities. :( So now I think if I would've kept it up, maybe her gums wouldn't be so bad now.....my poor little girl.

I have to take her back in a month to get the x-rays done again.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest jerrybird

You have been through he77. I hope it helps to know that we are sending you a hug and a prayer that things will improve both for you and your Ruby.

:grouphug

:goodluck that it's not osteo and she's just injured herself.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm so sorry you have been through so much this year. I know that terrible waiting game all too well. If it helps you feel a tiny bit better, it's never too late to start brushing her teeth again. It really will help. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest trevdog

Oh dear....you sure have not had a good year. I agree start brushing again, it certainly wouldn't hurt. And hoping she just has an injury....

I never really completely QUIT brushing their teeth, just have slacked off dramatically from how well I was doing for awhile there....I know I have to get back into the twice daily habit. It's just that sometimes I feel like completely giving up. :( On everything. I won't, but I feel like it at times.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Don't give up. I know it's hard to not feel overwhelmed. But try your best to enjoy each day for what it is: a gift. Just accept the small blessings each day provides with your pups. A sunny spot to nap in, a good ear or belly rub, a fresh breeze carrying the scent of summer, a car ride for no other reason than because your pups enjoy it...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Energy11

I am sorry you had such a crappy, horrible year! Really! I had one similiar in 2002, when my husband died of cancer, and a few other bad things :((

I DO know how it feels, and wish I could take it all away for you!

Based on the fall down the stairs, I wouldn't worry YET about Ruby, and as one of the others said, a read of the x-ray by OSU, might be worth it. I'd just TRY to relax, if you can and treat Ruby like you are doing. I mean, falling down the stairs isn't minor, and she might also have a lot of soft tissue swelling.

Good luck, love and hugs to you and your family!

No words...just :grouphug and lots of wishes that it turns out to be a minor injury for Ruby.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:grouphug

I'm so sorry. Like Aimee (zoomdoggy) said, enjoy the small moments. Take Ruby to Elizabeths garden and just enjoy sitting with her in the sun. It will feel good. I love to just sit on the bench at the park that looks at my mom and dads house. I can sit there for an hour or so and just think about things. It is relaxing to me.

You know that you are always welcome to pm or call me if you need. :) I know what you mean about wanting to quit but that is the time that you really have to persevere. Maybe you Ruby and Emily go for a car ride and get some ice cream together. Make it a girls outing :) Good luck and I wish I were closer and could give you a hug.

Beth

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Oh, God, Melissa...it's hard to find words. We were so worried about Rascal, and never thought about Ruby having problems. The shadow of possible osteo hanging over your head is difficult to deal with, especially with so much else on your mind. I just wish there was something I could do or say to make it all go away. But know that you are ALL in our prayers.

Let us know how your sweet Ruby is doing. And give Rascal a hug.

:grouphug For you too.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown