You Never Forget Your First...

Pippin

click me

A comment in a different thread got me thinking about my Angie-girl (like I hadn't already been thinking of her, this month). On Aug 29, it will be a year.

I never really believed in "heart dogs." Well, not for me, at least. That was for other folks, who were different from me. I was too jaded, too cautious, and had lost too many pets over the years. I knew better than to lose my heart to a dog.

As an added protection, I adopted a senior - retired brood who was over 10 years old. I knew that I wouldn't lose my heart over a dog that might only have a couple years left to share my life... it wasn't like the bonding you'd get if the hound had been with you for 10 years, or whatever. And she was a brood mama - a very independent, strong-minded lady who wasn't the least bit needy or velcro. Just what I wanted. Two independent women living together.

So I was safe, with my heart safely locked up, secure from canine capers.

That's what I thought, anyway. I had myself pretty convinced, actually.

And then I brought Angie home. My "yeller grammaw dawg," who was so independent that I would have to step over her to enter the house when I came home. She'd be sleeping on the cold tile in front of the door, far enough back that it wouldn't hit her. She'd open her eyes to see that it was me, and go back to sleep.

Seven months later, I left her with friends for 2 weeks while I went home for Mom's funeral. When I came to pick her up, she was lying on a dogbed in the front room. When she heard my voice, she raised her head and her ears perked up - that was the most excitement she had ever shown at seeing me, up to that point.

Two independent women, living together. It was perfect. She always kept her independence, was more like a cat than a dog, but that was ok - it was what I had wanted.

But over time, we changed. We were still two independent women, but we became interdependent. She would look at me, and I would open the door and take her outside. At bedtime, she would look at me and look at the bed, and I would make Casey move so there was room for Angie in her preferred spot (her preferred spot was at the foot of the bed - she was NOT a snuggler).

We had 4 1/2 years together, and somewhere in that timeframe, she became entwined all through my heart and my mind. I watched her grow older, and wondered what it would be like when she was gone, and how I would go on.

We went for a wellness exam last year, and Doc said that if we just looked at her bloodwork, we'd think she was a 12yr old dog, not almost 15. Three weeks later I left her with Dee as I prepared to go out of town on a business trip.

Angie waited until I was safely away, and then let Doc and Dee know that she was ready to find that rainbow bridge she'd heard so much about.

It's been almost a year since she left me, eased to the bridge by her original foster-mom/dog-sitter and my favorite vet. And I still cry over her loss. But step by step, moment by moment, I go on. I see her face, her traits, in other greys. and I smile, remembering the love I got from an independent brood mama who learned to open her own heart, and taught me to do the same.

Edited by Pippin

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful girl

No the pain never ever goes away I am sitting here crying thinking about the ones I have lost. We know they are only here on loan but when the time comes we are never ready to say goodbye. The pain might ease a little but some little thing will bring the tears back again.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest SueG201

I lost my first greyhound way back in 1994 she was only 5 yrs old and the vet did not

know about osteosarcoma in those days, she went in for " sand toes' and they thought they

would just clean out her toe nails, well lo and behold she was diagnosed with osteo, it

was devastating because she was my first grey girl, yaaaaaaa she had issues, but sh e

was still my girly girl, I still went on and adopted many more, and yes I lost another

( my heart boy) to osteo at 10 yrs old, I will always grace my home with a greyhound even

though I know I may not have them for a long time

Well, I've had my cry for the day...it's sooo hard to lose them. Just beautiful! :bighug

Well, I've had my cry for the day...it's sooo hard to lose them. Just beautiful! :bighug

If it made you cry, then I did it right. ;)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

My heart goes out to you as I type now through the tears. I remember when Angie passed. I can't imagine your pain. Your tribute to Angie is just beautiful. So many of those pictures and traits are very much like my Alan, a half-brother to your Angie, sharing Wigwam Wag as their sire.

May you find peace knowing that you two bonded and had wonderful time together and that she is watching over you every day.

:grouphug:f_pink

Guest jettcricket

....that was beautiful, simply beautiful, both the video and what you wrote about her. Sitting here crying, but feeling so blessed to have shared my life with such amazing souls having lost 2 of my own. I wouldn't have it any other way....thank you for sharing your girl with us.

Edited by jettcricket

:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

That is a Beautiful Tribute, she was one SPECIAL girl. and she is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge until you meet again. :bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Your tribute made me cry. :cry1 What a very precious soul she was... never forgotten. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Remembering your very special Angel with you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Extremely moving and lovely tribute. (tears flowing here)! You have captured everything beautiful and special about your relationship with Angie. As Jerrybird said - "we can see a little of our own lost hounds in your tribute."

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest mdituro
If it made you cry, then I did it right. ;)

Yep, Mary, you did it right - it made me cry, too! :weep :weep :weep That was just beautiful - thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of Angie.

Brings back memories of our first girl who left us almost 2 years ago - I still cry looking at her pictures, too. :cry1

You made her shine, Mary.

Rest well, unforgettable Angie girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You did it so right...I was at work and cried like a baby. That was a beautiful tribute and it sounds like the two of you came together for a reason.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

You made her shine, Mary.

Rest well, unforgettable Angie girl.

She didn't need me for that, Jey. :)