Need Some Insight

Guest lotsogreysmom

Guest lotsogreysmom

I cannot believe I am typing this...I am still in shock but we just had to euthanize one of our dogs, Carlee. She was only 7 1/2 yrs old. Nothing has been wrong with her.....going on walks like normal, eating fine....perfectly normal dog all day today!!! We went to inlaws for Christmas eve celebrations for a few hours....came home and all was fine. Carlee went out potty, acted perfectly normal for hours after we got home. All of a sudden she appeared to be having a seizure....we were very calm as we have just started dealing with seizures with one of our other dogs. We dimmed the lights and just talked to her. It was very strange.....her head was the only thing shaking and the rest of her body appeared to be paralyzed....she seized and seized and seized.....we got ready and out the door to evets when it had been like 10 mins and we couldn't get her to stop....but it was nothing violent....she was just calmly twitching. Got to evets...they took her right back and within 30 seconds nurse came out and said she was critical and how far did we want to go? We were like well, we want our dog to be okay!! She went back and then came out a min or less later and said the dr wants to see you. We walked back and he said he felt we should put her to sleep....she was suffocating. She was still seizing.....it was so strange. What could have caused this to happen??? He said a possible disk rupture in her neck??? We are just confused and are devastated to lose our girl much less on Christmas Eve! What a gift to tell our 2 kids. We have never lost a dog before so this is very hard. Thanks for any insight you can give. Please remember our family in prayer....this will be a very difficult Christmas to celebrate.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Kim. It is always devastatiing to loose one of your babies, but so hard at a time like this.

It does sound like something neurological and there was no way to bring her back. You did the only thing you could. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :f_pink

Godspeed Carlee :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest lotsogreysmom

They did try to stop the seizing but to no avail.....no, we did not ask for the necropsy....didn't feel it was necessary....just confused. The dr said she was very critical....she seized for about 50mins straight.

Is it possible that she could have gotten into any kind of poison or eaten a poisonous plant?

What an awful way to lose a young dog, especially on a holiday. :(:bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Unfortunately, without the necropsy, you won't know what caused the seizures. Many times I do not do one, but with something as unexpected as this, I think I would if you can. Seizures can be caused by so many things :( which includes ingesting something toxic.

Since they did try & stop them and could not, there was nothing else you could have done. Sending my sympathy.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Winterwish

Oh God I'm so sorry! ... just devastating. I'm so sorry Kim!

Oh gosh. 50 minutes seizing is a very dire circumstance for sure. :grouphug

I wish I knew how to help. You're in my thoughts and prayers Kim. I'm so sorry. :brokenheart:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

OMG. I'm so sorry. I cannot believe this happened to you. Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season. I hope you can find peace in the passing of Carlee. NO ONE should have to go through this during the holiday season. God bless......

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BleusysMom

Hugs to the entire Family....You could not do anything else for your Babe....

Gaze at the Night Stars.....One of the Very Bright Ones will be Your Carlee....Running with No Pain, No Fear....a True Angel.....and the Family Guardian.....

I am so sorry :grouphug but I agree.. you did the right thing.. :sad1

:grouphug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I'm very sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your dog.

Status epilepticus is defined as a series of continuing seizures; opinions differ as to the amount of time required to constitute "continuous seizures," but when one rolls out of one seizure and into another and another (or never stops seizing at all), it qualifies in my (amateur) opinion. I've only ever seen it once, as an EMT, with a rather large fellow who went into rolling seizures on the second floor of his home, and had to be moved down stairs between seizures. He continued seizing until he received a fairly large dose of diazepam (Valium) by IV.

It is often fatal, and can be caused by a number of things ranging from stroke to infection, including prior organic brain damage, poisoning, metabolic disorders, electrolyte imbalances, and some other causes, some of which are quite obscure.

If the E-vet noted she was suffocating, it would seem likely that the seizures were sufficient to stop respiration and she was asphyxiating. Merck Veterinary Manual indicates the following treatments for stat epilepticus:

Diazepam 0.5-1.0 mg/kg, IV bolus; can repeat 2-3 times at intervals of 5-10 min

Phenobarbital 2-4 mg/kg/ IV bolus; can repeat at 20- to 30-min intervals to a total dosage of 20 mg/kg

Pentobarbital 2-15 mg/kg, IV, to effect to stop motor activity

Propofol 1-2 mg/kg, IV, to effect to stop motor activity; constant rate infusion: 0.1-0.6 mg/kg/min to effect

Presumably the vet tried one or more of these, and found them to be ineffective. That would suggest serious organic damage (stroke?), making recovery impossible. But all that's just a guess.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I do not have any insight for you, unfortunately. I am so sorry for your loss. Any loss is devastating, but one so sudden and dramatic is even more heartbreaking. :grouphug

I am so sorry for your tragic loss of your sweet Carlee. You did everything you could for her - but that doesn't make this loss any less bittersweet. Praying for you and your children at this difficult time :hope:grouphug

Run free, sweet Carlee :gh_run:f_pink

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest KennelMom
Unfortunately, without the necropsy, you won't know what caused the seizures. Many times I do not do one, but with something as unexpected as this, I think I would if you can. Seizures can be caused by so many things :( which includes ingesting something toxic.

Since they did try & stop them and could not, there was nothing else you could have done. Sending my sympathy.

:nod :nod

Sending my deepest sympathies :grouphug :grouphug

Godpeed, Carlee...

I am so sorry for your sudden loss...... :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021