Carrier's Progress

I have decided to start an new topic called Carrier's Progress... because we are beyond the topic "Carrier's Diagnosis" and the emoticon with the 'tear' doesn't apply anymore, because we are being positive and strong for Carrier. :colgate Just like he is being - so here is the new and improved topic "Carrier's Progress" !!!

I am going to copy the first update after the surgery here and then continue to post updates as we go along.

Carrier Update Nov 1 - the first visit

I don't know where to start - it was amazing seeing him.

I came to OSU at 5 on the dot - okay, I was actually ten minutes early. Julia came out to see me and said that they had just taken him for a pee. Unfortunately, the comfort rooms were taken, so she set us up in one of the exam rooms, with an extremely large and fluffy bed for him.

Julia explained to me that he was bruised a little, still fairly drugged and of course, this was going to be the first time seeing him without his leg. I understood and I was ready. She said, "I am really excited for you, because I know you are ready and he is going to be so happy to see you so I am going to get im right now." Did I ever mention how I much I love Julia?

I heard the wheels turning on the wagon, so I opened the door and saw him. It was amazing seeing his sweet big eyes. He was sitting up on the wagon and just looking around. And then he started whining - he's really good at that.

They moved him to the comfy bed and he laid down. I sat down beside him, with his head on my lap. Dr Couto came in to see how we were doing and so did Emily. So there we were, me, Carrier, Dr Couto, Julia and Emily all just admiring Carrier and so ahappy to see his progress. Dr Couto reminded me that it was only 24 hours ago that he came out of surgery. He says that he is doing amazing and they are really pleased with his progress.

Julia sat with me for about 30 minutes and we just talked about greyhounds - how wonderful they are etc... you know what I mean

She brought in some food - kibble and soft food, but he didn't want any, so we tried some chicken baby food. He liked this, but refused to eat it out of the bowl, so I hand fed him sloppy, wet baby food from the palm of my hand - and it was entirely my pleasure!

He ate a small jar worth and decided that that was enough. He then feel asleep in my lap - going into REM multiple times while I stroked his chest. I told him that Bailey, Andy and Ella were good at home and Tim missed us terribly. But he would soon be here to take us home. I told him about all of you and all of our friends and family that are saying prayers for him and sending him good thoughts.

Just after 7, he started moving and crying - as if he wasn't comfortable anymore, so I got up and asked the front desk to page Emily. When I got back to the room, I tried to give him some more food, but he didn't want any, so I turned to wash my hands and get some more water. I turned my head and he was sitting up. And then.... in split second - HE STOOD UP! and then quickly fell. I ran to catch him, and he was screaming. I managed to hold him up and then I started calling for help - but no one could hear me. Somewhere I found the strength to hold him up with one hand, on my knees, and grab the handle on the door to open it to call for help. It felt like forever and then finally someone came to help. They laid him down again and I asked that they go and get Emily. She came, finally. She didn't hear the page. I told her that he got up on his own and she "that's awesome!" I said, "maybe, but I just had a heartattack!"

They put him on the wagon and I kissed him goodnight and told him we loved him and I would see him tomorrow. Emily said that he had such a good visit, that they are going to arrange two visits tomorrow!

When I got back to the hotel, I had to call and speak with Emily, because I was feeling really freaked out by the fact that he had fallen. So I want to make sure that he was okay. Emily couldn't take my call as she was back in surgery, but a nice girl named Val took my call. She assured me that Carrier was fine and unfortunately, falling was going to be part of his learning process. And then she told me that she was there when they wheeled Carrier back after out visit and HE JUMPED OFF THE WAGON AND WAS STANDING!!!! Sorry for the caps, but I can't believe his progress already! I am so pleased for him - he is strong and determind - we couldn't ask for more today.

I am going to see him again tomorrow and will let you know how that goes. Tomorrow should be interesting, since he will be even more alert! He's the best.

Edited by LadyBailey

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Continued prayers for his healing process. What a strong boy he is!!!!!!! And OSU is the best place on earth for greyhounds as far as vet offices go :colgate My boy, Deuce, simply LOVES going to OSU.

Carrier's Progress Nov 2 - AM Visit

Emily called at 9:30. Carrier had a really good night in ICU and this morning, got up and walked to the scale and then walked back to his cage, all by himself! He ate his dinner last night - I bought him his Canidae, since he wasn't keen on the hospital food, with the exception of baby food. And he ate his breakfast this morning. All of this is great news.

I went over to see him at 10am. Spoke with Dr Couto and he said that he is doing amazing. The bruising hasn't spread - but he is still on the clotting drug to control any bleeding. They wheeled him in on his wagon and just at that moment we had a visit from another greyhound - an 12 year old with the same amputation as Carrier. I think he was happy to see another greyhound.

So Emily and Dr Couto took Carrier off the wagon and he was standing all by himself... albeit, freaked out I think. Dr Couto says that he is just started to realize that he doesn't have that leg - so he is figuring everything out. We helped lay him down, although he has been doing this on his own in ICU. He cried for a bit and then fell asleep - actually, we both did :unsure I took a nap laying behind him. An hour later Emily came in to bring him back to ICU. I thought he had to go pee, so they took him out to the turnout area. I stayed behind, as I had to sign some forms, but on my way out, I saw him standing. I called out, "How did he do?" They said he did great and showed me how far he walked - about 20 feet - took a really long pee - and then walked back to the ramp and was ready to walk all the way up it. But they stopped him and put him back on the wagon. Don't want to over do it. ;)

They wanted me to take him to the hotel tomorrow to get use to caring for him and bring him back on Sunday for an exam before we left... but since I am alone, until Sunday - that's when Tim is coming, I asked not to, because I can't lift him on my own. It's great that they are confident that he is fine leaving tomorrow, but I am not confident being alone with him still in such a fragile state. So he is staying there until Sunday and I will come for visits. I get to see him again at 3pm today.

He really is doing amazing and all the doctors are really pleased. I can't tell you how relieved I am that we came to OSU for this.

Stay tuned for another update this afternoon ;)

Eva, that is such wonderful news. Continued good thoughts and warm wishes...and hugs and kisses for Carrier.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Great news. Have they given you any idea of when he can get out of there?

I think Sunday will be the day. We are going to see if we can get a dog sitter for Saturday and Sunday and then Tim might be able to come down tomorrow. But regardles, Dr Couto wants to see him on Sunday, so we won't be leaving before then anyway. I think Carrier really wants to get the heck of out there, but since we are so far away - 6 hours - I am not rushing anything, as we won't be around the corner if something changes.

I am following his progress everyday along with so many. what a stoic, determined boy! I think he sounds like he will manage this 3 leg thing beautifully. I am so proud of him and happy for you guys. Now, he can get on with his greyt life!!!!!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

What wonderful news, and I'm glad your heart is still ticking! Ear rubs for Carrier and perhaps an Adult Beverage for you after this afternoon's visit and when you're tucked back in your hotel?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Carrier Update Nov 2 - PM visit

I arrived at 3pm to visit Carrier - they had just taken him for a pee. They wheeled him in and took him off the wagon and he was standing reallly well. But then he started crying. Julia and I looked at eachother, and thought, he might have to go poop. So we put him on the wagon again and wheeled him out. He got off the wagon and hopped a few steps and and took a pee. He walked around really nicely, it was great to see because this was the first time for me to see how he was doing. We waited and tried to coax him to take a poop, but all he wanted to do was to try and walk down the sidewalk to the parking lot. He really wants to go home! We wheeled him back to the comfort room, much to his chagrin. He sat down without any problems - which was great! He ate some food and told me flat out when he didn't want any more, with a strong push of his nose - the food bowl was a good two feet from him now ... he is a really good communicator, so I know this will help us in the healing process.

He burped and rolled over and feel asleep. Dr Couto came by for a visit and we chatted and confirmed that we would be going home on Sunday. Our friend Joe has graciously offered to drive Tim down, so Tim could travel back with me in the same car. They will arrive around noon and Carrier will have his exam and then back home we go.

They have cut his pain meds in half, which is super because he seems very comfortable. He pretty much slept the whole visit. Julia came back at 5:30 - he ate the remainder of his food and then started to look like he had to go pee again, so we took him and again he walked really well... and again he wanted to go to the car. Just then Emily came to get him, because he was needed back in ICU for some more drugs and other medical things. So I kissed him goodnight and told him I would be back tomorrow. There is a football game, so I won't be able to see him until 5 ish. Which kinda sucks, but he can rest the day and will be ready for home on Sunday.

We had a really good visit and everyone is happy to see him up and about. There were multiple people helping us getting him out for a pee both times and everytime we would just watch him from a distance as he stood there - they all said the same thing, "Gosh's he's cute!" They are right - he is cute. I am so proud of him.

Edited by LadyBailey

What a greyt feeling when a mom is so proud of her boy! You did good Carrier. Keep up the good work. I think that is a good sign that he knows where the parking lot is and is Ready!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Keep fighting the fight Carrier. You have our thoughts and prayers.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Good work Carrier and Good work Eva.

Remember every now and then he might forget his leg is missing. Expect a few nose dives. He will pick himself up and carry on. The next few weeks will be harder on you than on him.

Hugs and kisses for Carrier.

Eva, try to rest up.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You have my positive and healing thoughts!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest grey_dreams

Wow, Carrier's progress is amazing! What a brave and strong boy. :kiss2 Hope you have a smooth trip back home and continued wishes for a speedy recovery. :hope:grouphug

Guest trevdog

What a strong boy he is, telling you it's time to go home already! He sounds like he's doing very well! Sending lots more prayers.....

Edited by trevdog

This is another amazing story of love, faith and courage.

I admire both you and Carrier more than I could ever express.

Continued prayers, love and good thoughts for you and your brave boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LolasMom

You are both an inspiration. I'm so glad to hear how well he's doing and I'm sure everyone that has cared for him has fallen deeply in love.

Continued prayers and well wishes for you, you're DH and you're very special boy. :beatheart:beatheart

Good to read he is doing so well.

Don't be alarmed if you continue to get the occasional heart-rending scream over the next few weeks, or if he takes the occasional nosedive as someone else mentioned. He's already figuring things out. He'll get there.

Sending hugs and best wishes for a safe journey home and many good times to follow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.