Question About Thyroid Symptoms

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

I've read a lot about how thyroid problems can cause changes in behavior. I guess the changes would be related to how badly the thyroid was functioning, but I would like some information on how fast behavioral changes can occur? Over a matter of days, weeks, or months? If the pups do need thyroid medicine, how fast can the behavior begin to improve again? Also, is there any correlation between age and onset of thyroid problems? TIA!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Yardman's behavior change, i think, was slow -or we just adapted to the fact that he was "moody"

After meds, within a week of taking it, he became his bouncy happy self. But, the dosage he was started on for thyroid meds, was appropriate for him. If it was not enough, I don't think we would have seen such a shift in personality.

Guest grey_dreams
Well ......what are the Symptoms for Thyroid-Disfunction??? I always wanted to know ?

This is copied from an article on the International Greyhound Research Forum:

"Hypothyroidism in greyhounds is unique in that it is relatively common, occurs in young greyhounds and is due to suppression of a normal thyroid gland by the effects of chronic stress.

Symptoms of poor thyroid function in greyhounds:

Moderate anaemia and other blood changes;

Poor performance and lethargic attitude, may be other behavioural changes (spooky/nervous?);

Skin and coat changes (dry scaly skin, excess skin pigmentation, dull coat quality);

Patchy hair loss and “Bald Thigh Syndrome”;

Reproductive problems and low fertility;

Because this condition is stress related, there may be other symptoms present that are typical of some of the other “stress disorders” such as chronic dehydration and water diabetes."

As far as I know, the connection between thyroid malfunction and bald thigh syndrome is unproven at this time. I was interested to hear more from people who have experience with behavioral changes including lethargy and fear/nervous/spooky, and how these respond to medicine.

Guest luluaz

As far as I know, the connection between thyroid malfunction and bald thigh syndrome is unproven at this time. I was interested to hear more from people who have experience with behavioral changes including lethargy and fear/nervous/spooky, and how these respond to medicine.

My boy, Max, has hypothyroidism(low) and we have seen an improvement in overall energy level, less spooky, but still has bald thighs!!

He was started on generic levothyroxine, but is now on Soloxine and there is a pretty noticeable differance, with the Soloxine being the superior med

with better results.

For Ace, we had her tested because I suspected she'd had some small seizures. She also had seemed more crabby about her space than usual.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Here's my Chloe's story.

Chloe (See picture in sig) was a bounce at the age of 2 years old. She had been in her first home for less than 3 weeks. She would not get out of her crate, she would not eat if anyone was in the room, the owners had to carry her out of the crate AND house so she would pee/ poop. Get the picture???

The adotption group asked them to have the vet do a thryoid panel on here and he refused. (their story)

They brought her back to the group and they sent her to the their vet to have a thyroid done. Her T4 was 0.2 which is low, even for a GH. They put her on the Soloxine and within 3 days, Chloe was a completely different dog.

The owners came back for her, but she ran away, into her crate when she saw them. We came along that same day and the rest is history. They took another dog, we got our sweet Chloe.

She was unable to cope with life in general without her medication. Her hiney and thighs were balding. Since NOvember, her hair has about 60% regrowth.

Chloe also needed to be in a home with another greyhound. We can't imagine Chloe being in a home without another hound.

We took her OFF the soloxine when we had her about 6 weeks so she could have the FULL Panel done. She reverted back to similar behavior within a week of being completely off the med. We weaned her very slowly off the meds.

We did the full panel and her numbers were very, very low. SHe was very unhappy, spent most of her time sleeping (more than usual) and always in her crate.

After we put her back on within 3 days, she was happy girl, silly girl, playful girl etc.

Medication when used as necesary is a wonderful thing!

I also need to add that no matter what the numbers said about her thyroid, I KNEW she was going back on the meds. The meds helped her and that's all I cared about. Even if the numbers said she was NOT hypothyroid, I would have put her back on for quality of life.

This post kinda took off, sorry it's so long!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My non grey was hypothyroid, and he had NO behavior changes whatsoever. It was his coat that made it very obvious he had a problem, and it seemed to go from glossy and beautiful to brittle and icky overnight!

Soloxine fixed him right up!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

For Ace, we had her tested because I suspected she'd had some small seizures. She also had seemed more crabby about her space than usual.

We also have a hypothyroid grey. I thought he might have had some small seizures back before he was diagnosed, and then again later when his dose was maybe too high. But he also had an ear infection at the same time, and there has been an ongoing hookworm problem.

Recently he is also doing the moves that I thought might be seizures. But I'm not sure. Can you describe what your dog's small seizures looked like? (I'm just researching this a bit before I call the vet!)

Many thanks,

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).