Penny Suffered Heat Stroke This Weekend

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

On Sat, we were at a friends house for a play date. Penny got spooked and escaped her harness. DH immediately got into the truck and I set out on foot. She came close to me several times but spooked at the last second and I was unable to catch her. She was on a mjor 4 lane street in a very busy city. DH stopped traffic and followed her with his truck while perfect strangers stopped to help as well. Too tired to go any further, she finally stopped on someones front poor. DH scooped her up and put her into his truck.

We rushed her to the closest ER vet. Her temp was 107.8 when we arrived. She was put into an oxygen tank and they immediately started IV fuids to bring down her temp. They told us that they didnt know if she would make it through the night.

Throughout the night her temp was up and down but is now stable. She is alert and eating on her own, but is still on IV fuids. All 4 feet are completely bandaged and she cannot walk. She is now suffering from Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC). Her blood is not coagulating. It makes her look as though she has been beaten and is bruised from head to toe. We were informed this morning that although her kidney and liver panels look normal, she does have blood in her urine, so they are beginning a treatment to increase her platelet count.

We are picking her up tomorrow am and trasnsporting her to our own vet.

The last 24 hours have been a nightmare. We are going to do whatever we can to make her better, bring her home and keep her safe.

If you have positive healing thoughts to send, please do. My little spooky girl can really use them.

Picture1764.jpg

Update Sun @ 8:44 PST

The vet just called and informed us that she urinated and there was no sign of blood. That is a very very good sign.

Penny is undergoing Heparin treatment to increase the number of platelets in her blood.

Edited by BradyzMommy

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending prayers for Penny. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Oh what an awful experience. Sending all the prayers Penny can use.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You have our continued prayers! We have been checking in on her regularly. I was hoping she would be going home with you tonight. This whole ordeal is horrifying! And it happened SO FAST!

As I told you yesterday, if there is anything we can do, let me know!

Hugs to you, Steve, Maddie, Brady and of course Penny! Keep us posted.

The Girls

Guest Tenderhearts

What a frightening and terrible ordeal! Lots and lots of white light and prayers going out from our household in Kansas! :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope

From one Penny-mom to another, I am sending all my best thoughts and healing to your Penny girl.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}