Spindle Cell Tumour Consistent With Soft Tissue Sarcoma

My whippie Rickie will turn 9 tomorrow. At the start of this week I noticed a lump (not attached to bone) on his right hind leg (stifle area). Took him to the vet, they aspirated a sample and sent it to the lab, the results came back last night - "spindle cell tumour consistent with soft tissue sarcoma".

He had pre-surgery bloodwork today and he'll have surgery to remove the tumour tomorrow.

From what little reading I've had a chance to do, if the tumour can be removed with clean margins the prognosis is good, although close monitoring is required for the occurrence of new tumours. If anyone has had experience with this, I would be most grateful if you would share it.

Edited by Rickiesmom

No experience here but wanted to send good wishes to you and Rickie. Please keep us posted.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

I have no help to offer, but I wanted to offer all of the good thoughts in the world for you and Rickie. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest tampagreymom

My 6-year-old Grey Jade had a lump on her front shoulder in March. The vet saw spindle cells in the needle aspirate and recommended immediate removal of the lump. The path report came back as Hemangiopericytoma with clean margins. From what I have read and others comments on this site, it does not spread like other cancers but can recur in the same area. I was also told with clean margins, the prognosis is good. It was a difficult area to keep bandaged and the incision took a long time to heal with my girlie. First the stitches popped because of the area it was in and then she had staples. She is fine now and I just keep an eye on her for any new lumps. Good thoughts on the way for you and Rickie.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My 6-year-old Grey Jade had a lump on her front shoulder in March. The vet saw spindle cells in the needle aspirate and recommended immediate removal of the lump. The path report came back as Hemangiopericytoma with clean margins. From what I have read and others comments on this site, it does not spread like other cancers but can recur in the same area. I was also told with clean margins, the prognosis is good. It was a difficult area to keep bandaged and the incision took a long time to heal with my girlie. First the stitches popped because of the area it was in and then she had staples. She is fine now and I just keep an eye on her for any new lumps. Good thoughts on the way for you and Rickie.

Same here, Foxy had her's removed July 29, 2004. No recurrence even though we did not have clean margins. She had a chest x-ray in Feb because of her breathing problems, no cancer there either. I'm praying you have the same results.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Rickie is out of surgery and waking up. Surgeon took about 4cm margins around, but could not underneath, not much between the tumour and the bone, so he's not confident the margins are clean. We'll have to wait for the pathology report and take it from there.

Because of the amount of tissue removed there will be some pain, we're being given Metacam for that, and also the suture line is tight - he said he put lots of sutures inside so hopefully everything will hold. Because of the number of tissue layers involved in the surgery Rickie will also be on antibiotics, and I'll add probiotics to his food as he sometimes gets diarrhea from antibiotics.

Otherwise, the main challenge will be to keep the bandage from sliding down the leg (it's apparently harder to anchor around the body with a boy without interfering with peeing) and to keep him quiet during the healing period, but that's something we've had to do before so the main floor is set up already in anticipation.

Thank you for your well wishes and prayers. I'll update again when the path report comes in.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Lots of good thoughts for clean margins. I hope Rickie heals quickly and feels better soon!

And big hugs for you, I know how hard this is on you. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest tampagreymom

Glad to hear your Rickie is out of surgery. It sounds so similar to what I had with my girlie that I mentioned in my earlier post. Her incision turned out to be 5 inches long even though the lump was small so the vet could get clean margins. I had lots of trouble keeping the bandages on and not slipping down her leg-hers was on the front leg. They finally hooked the bandage around her neck and around to hold it up-I can post a photo of it if you would like. But I don't think it would work on the rear leg like that. They had to get kind of creative to prevent it from slipping down. Also once the bandage was off, she kept picking at her stitches and then staples. I used a t-shirt but it was twisting and uncomfortable for her so I ended up ordering jammies that cover all four legs and put them on her when I went to work and that worked beautifully.

Sending lots of good thoughts for clean margins. :hope I hope Rickie isn't too uncomfortable.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

:goodluck I hope he heals quickly and well, and that the path report is good.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest IrskasMom

Doesn't it just upset you when our Fur-Kids have something ? Lot's of Prayers :hope:hope:hope:hope

and Hug's to you and Rickie :grouphug:grouphug and some :dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie for

that sweet Boy .

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Rickie. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg