Alopecia?

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

We just got back from seeing a new vet. She was terrific - really listened to us and obviously cared a great deal about Penny's history and future health. One of the things she said that really surprised me was "how long has she been bald on her belly?" Well...always. Isn't that normal? This vet says that it's not. She said that she thinks it's alopecia and has given us a Resizole cream to put on it every day. She has high expectations that we can bring hair back to Penny's belly and thighs and a few other areas that I had NO idea should be considered "bald."

Does anyone have a grey with hair on their belly? If so, could you post a picture so I know what that looks like? I imagine the vet doesn't mean there should be a TON of hair...just some. But I'm totally clueless.

This pic isn't the best, but you can tell, I think, that there is no hair on Penny's belly at all:

P1000078_edit.jpg

Thanks,

Jennie and Penny

Guest Scouts_mom

All four greys that have lived with me have had bald bellys. I thought all grey's did. Has this vet had much experience with greys?

All bald here too! :rolleyes:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Wow -- look at Maizie -- that's incredible!

Being bald on belly, butt/thighs, underside of neck is a common greyhound thing. As long as the skin looks healthy, no harm, no foul, no need for meds.

Batman was and Zema is somewhat fuzzy underneath in the winter but pretty bald in summer. Joseph didn't fuzz up much this past winter but it was his first with us, who knows what the future will hold. His tummy has some thin hair on it now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jack has hair. Jilly pretty bald belly.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest maryjo79

Sadie is starting to fill in, and Spud has some peach fuzz on his nekkid heiny, but his stomach is bald bald bald :lol His neck is also bald.

And yes, I have to agree that Truman and Mazie are a bit abnormal ;) but they are only the cuter for it ;)

Guest heidisue72

my male grey is bald but not my female. I just thought my male was bald because of the medication he has been on long term.

Heidi

Donner has a bit of a bald belly. Everyone else had or has tummy fur. After ruling out anything medical, baldness is not something I would ever treat for, beyond maybe a homeopathic remedy. Their baldness just adds to their charm and personality.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest WarmheartedPups

Roo is bald bald bald....her belly is the softest thing ever.

Otis.......he has thick hair everywhere!

Bald here.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Milky Way is bald as can be on his belly.

Now our english bulldog was just diagnosed with Alopecia after a year of trying everything in the world to discover why her hair falls out on her sides. My understand was that with Alopecia the hair would return at some point, usually its a seasonal/yearly thing. Sweet Pea is starting to fill in but she's been bald on her sides almost a year.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Sahara's tummy was bald. She is now growing really fine peach fuzz on it. She also had a small bald spot on her hiney. It is starting to fill in a bit as well.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest SillyDog

I've got one with fuzzy hair on all of his undercarriage. My other grey has no hair on anything that could be considered undercarriage: front of neck bottom of chest & tummy, inside thighs and bum. She's seen two different grey savvy vets and both have said that she's got typical grey-pattern baldness & it's completely normal.

Fenway is a fuzzy puppy, he has hair everywhere. Grace is my 4 year old retired racer, she has a patch on her tummy with minimal peach fuzz, when you look close there is hair there, just not much. I'd check thyroid levels if you have not done that, and if everything else is fine then try adding salmon oil to the food. I'd also not use meds for "baldness", unless those patches were somewhere odd like on the dogs sides or back.

Fenway088-1.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest sheila

Kiowa and Natasha both have bald bellies and are a little bald on their hineys (though with some patchy fuzz) When one of the vet techs mentioned it my vet told her that it was a common greyhound thing and wasn't concerned at all about it.

Bald here too although Beau has a light fuzz on his belly. Has this vet seen greys before or is yours the experiement?

I don't mean that to sound the way it probably came out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project