Need Info On Ohio State Univ. Greyhound Program

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

When I posted last week about Bodie's allergy problems, someone very graciously gave me the email address of Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at their Veterinary Teaching Hospital and suggested I send my post there. I did and they quickly responded and asked if I could fax them Bodie's medical records, which I did today. Now they would like me to bring Bodie to Ohio for a skin biopsy. Since this is a bit of a trek for us and would involve overnight travel, I was wondering if anyone else has taken their greyhound there and how you felt about the experience. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

OSU is amazing! It would be WELL worth your trek to go! Request to see Dr. Couto or ask him to recommend what Dr. there could help you. We live 2 hrs away and we are so thankful to know that OSU is there if our hounds get sick and need special care! When we were taking Miss Nellie for her chemo treatments it was always an all day trip and we would go to one of the several parks in the area and do some walking or to that huge shopping center nearby while we waited for her to be finished.

Good luck to you!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest Bodie
OSU is amazing! It would be WELL worth your trek to go! Request to see Dr. Couto or ask him to recommend what Dr. there could help you. We live 2 hrs away and we are so thankful to know that OSU is there if our hounds get sick and need special care! When we were taking Miss Nellie for her chemo treatments it was always an all day trip and we would go to one of the several parks in the area and do some walking or to that huge shopping center nearby while we waited for her to be finished.

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for easing my anxiety about whether it would be worth the trip. Actually, the email reply from Ohio said that Dr. Couto would like to see Bodie, so I don't need to request him! I think we will definitely be making the trip.

Well, its no trek for us but, I totally trust them to do the best for my babies. I use them as my e-vet after hours. I have a good friend who drive 6-7 hours to get here. They have gone through the trauma of chemo every 2 weeks and now come every 3 months. As a teaching hospital the experience will be a little different from what you may be used to. They will take your dog to the back for his exam and you wait.....and wait......and wait. Be prepared to spend most of the day there the first time. They can give you the names of the best places to stay when you call and really go out of their way to help with the whole trip from out of town thing. I don't think there is anywhere in this part of the country that is as specialized in greyhound wellness.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

When Speck had his cancer scare (ironically enough, months later, it was Gino who had cancer but it spread too fast to bring him to OSU), I spoke to Dr. Couto on the phone. He was very kind and said, "If you can get to me..." and before he finished, we had our minds made up to go. It took about 8.5 hours each way. We drove like bats out of hell and stayed overnight in a fairly cheap and clean hotel right near the campus. The people at the OSU vet hospital were amazing. We also were fortunate enough to meet "packmom" and her pack -- Suzy is incredibly nice and her hounds are so sweet. I would definitely go see Dr. Couto and his staff. If nothing else, they can offer you hope. Stay positive and good luck with Brodie. I have Dr. Couto's number in my cell phone if you want it. Good luck. I know firsthand how stressful and hard this is.

:grouphug

Guest Bodie
I work right by campus, so PM if you need anything or would like to meet up for lunch.

Julie

This is sort of a joint reply to you and MomoftheFuzzy. We have decided, after reading all the postitive comments, to take Bodie to Ohio to meet with Dr. Couto and have skin biopsies. What is the name of this cheap but clean hotel nearby and can you recommend some other good, inexpensive places to stay? And yes, if we can work it in, Julie, it would be nice to meet for lunch.

Rhonda

Guest Bodie
I believe you will not be sorry! I've asked a few others to come on in and share their experiences :)

I have received so many positive comments, that we have decided to make the trek to Ohio. But I am principally replying to tell you that the picture of your dog looks exactly like my Bodie and Rainy - who are almost identical in appearance. When we adopted Rainy, we looked up her lineage and discovered that Rainy's great-grandfather was Bodie's grandfather, so we tell them they are cousins. My furkids' racing names were JR's Rainbow and Fast Abner. No relation are they?

Rhonda

Do you mean my avatar? If so, that is Austin. His one tatoo was obliterated so we could not figure out who he was but knew he was born 12/92. He went to the bridge a year ago February. He was my clown, clueless yet sensitive goofy boy. I miss him so much!

austinroach.jpg

Dr. Couto helped me through his thyroid soft tissue osteocarcoma time, and Ivey's osteo and Slick's kidney tumor and countless other "help me" issues.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Bodie
Do you mean my avatar? If so, that is Austin. His one tatoo was obliterated so we could not figure out who he was but knew he was born 12/92. He went to the bridge a year ago February. He was my clown, clueless yet sensitive goofy boy. I miss him so much!

austinroach.jpg

Dr. Couto helped me through his thyroid soft tissue osteocarcoma time, and Ivey's osteo and Slick's kidney tumor and countless other "help me" issues.

I'm glad to hear all of these positive things about Dr. Couto. We are going to make the trip, we just need to get an appointment.

Yes, I was speaking of Austin - Bodie was born in July of 1999 and Rainy in Nov. 1998, so they may be related, but not the same litter, obviously. Bodie is my clown and goof ball - not as much now since his allergies which is why I want my old boy back. Rainy is my serious girl. She was a bounce back and as a result suffers from separation anxiety. We've worked out an agreement - I leave out a tissue, she chews it up when she feels anxious. I used to leave out a box of tissues for her and she'd only take one or two, but one day she must have been having a bad day and she chewed up half a box. So now, I just leave one out for her. The things we do for our hounds!

Guest missmyboyz
I work right by campus, so PM if you need anything or would like to meet up for lunch.

Julie

This is sort of a joint reply to you and MomoftheFuzzy. We have decided, after reading all the postitive comments, to take Bodie to Ohio to meet with Dr. Couto and have skin biopsies. What is the name of this cheap but clean hotel nearby and can you recommend some other good, inexpensive places to stay? And yes, if we can work it in, Julie, it would be nice to meet for lunch.

Rhonda

Not sure if "MOTF" remembered the name of the hotel we stayed at but, it was the RedRoof in columbus.Here is the linke http://www.redroof.com/reservations/inn_de...spx?searchtype=

Pets are allowed. Just let them know you are taking them to OSU... I think we payed around 60bucks a night.....

Guest boondog

Julie

Rhonda

Not sure if "MOTF" remembered the name of the hotel we stayed at but, it was the RedRoof in columbus.Here is the linke http://www.redroof.com/reservations/inn_de...spx?searchtype=

Pets are allowed. Just let them know you are taking them to OSU... I think we payed around 60bucks a night.....

That was actually the hotel I was going to suggest. It is right next to where I work.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Glad you have decided to go, I wanted to let you know as well that it is more than worth it. My boy, Deuce, is a cancer patient there and we make the 3 hour trek every 3 months right now as he is cancer free. They will usually let you know about when you can come back because otherwise there would be some waiting, but there is plenty to do near the campus. Everyone there is soooooo sweet.