Sweep came in limping on her right front foot this morning after doing zoomies in the yard. Her outer toe looks a little wonky to me, like it's a little more splayed to the side, but it's hard to be sure because she has pretty jacked-up toes anyway. She's not super reactive but does pull away slightly when we touch her foot. She's already on Previcox for her chronic left front toe issue, so I'm not sure if there's anything else we can do for her, but I wanted to get opinions from the toe experts on Greytalk. Does this sound like a dislocated toe? Would you take her in today or see how she does through the weekend? Thanks!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Well, never mind. I called the vet to see if there were any appointments available today just in case, and they're totally booked. They're open half-days Saturday but wouldn't be able to do x-rays til Monday because it gets so busy. So it's e-vet or nothing if this gets worse. Sigh. This girl and her toes!

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Sounds like she could have dislocated it and it popped back in. If it stays in, she will just be a little sore for awhile. Or, she could have caught it on something and it didn’t really dislocate. Again, just sore for a few days. I recently did that to my little toe moving furniture, and man, does it ever hurt!

Hoping she is fine by Monday!

I would see how she does unless and until it's causing her more trouble - limping, tripodding, licking that toe to sooth it. Then you may need to bite the bullet for an xray at the evet to see if it's broken. If you can get a boot on her it would help support that toe a bit.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She's still hobbling. She will put weight on it so she's not tripodding, but she's got a good head-bobbing limp going on. Here's a pic. There's no swelling; it's just the angle of the photo. Her left foot with the twisted toes is the one she has chronic issues with (gee, ya think? :lol); the outer toe on the right foot--the leftmost toe in the photo--is the one I think looks a little straighter and/or more separate than usual.

45000294775_4ce75cac68_z.jpg

P.S. Does Aiden 1-4 need a girlfriend?

Edited by ramonaghan

Those look like Cindy Lou-Who's feet :lol Poor Sweep. To me, that lateral toe does look a bit out of place but if there is no swelling and she's weight-bearing, I would try icing the foot and trimming the nail on that toe as short as you can get it. The head-bobbing could be if she is just really sore from the zoomies that sent her toe out of whack. Keep us posted?

Aiden 1-4 and Sweep :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Those look like Cindy Lou-Who's feet :lol Poor Sweep. To me, that lateral toe does look a bit out of place but if there is no swelling and she's weight-bearing, I would try icing the foot and trimming the nail on that toe as short as you can get it. The head-bobbing could be if she is just really sore from the zoomies that sent her toe out of whack. Keep us posted?

Aiden 1-4 and Sweep :wub:

Cindy Lou Who's feet :rofl

Update: She wasn't walking any better this morning so off to the e-vet we went. They did x-rays of both front feet and had a radiologist review them. She definitely has arthritis in the toe that's always bothered her on the left (nice to have that confirmation after all this time), and they see a hard bony area on the painful right toe that could be arthritis and/or there may be a minor fracture. No splint at this point. She's on restricted activity for two weeks and will be on Gabapentin along with her daily Previcox. We have a recheck appointment in two weeks.

We're taking her with us to a cabin in the NC mountains for Thanksgiving, but I guess she'll be spending most of her time snoozing in front of the fire instead of walking in the woods. Whomp whomp.

Aww Sweeo :kiss2

Nice to have the info from the films. Shes going to be fine :nod

:bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Glad to hear it is something relatively minor! If there is a fracture, it could take weeks to heal, so try to keep her quiet, even if she assures you that she is fine and can go for walks again :lol

Will do! (As the hedgehog stuffies all breathe a sigh of relief.)

Cindy Lou Who's feet :rofl

Update: She wasn't walking any better this morning so off to the e-vet we went. They did x-rays of both front feet and had a radiologist review them. She definitely has arthritis in the toe that's always bothered her on the left (nice to have that confirmation after all this time), and they see a hard bony area on the painful right toe that could be arthritis and/or there may be a minor fracture. No splint at this point. She's on restricted activity for two weeks and will be on Gabapentin along with her daily Previcox. We have a recheck appointment in two weeks.

We're taking her with us to a cabin in the NC mountains for Thanksgiving, but I guess she'll be spending most of her time snoozing in front of the fire instead of walking in the woods. Whomp whomp.

How is Sweep doing today?

How is Sweep doing today?

She's still pretty lame when she first gets up from sleeping or resting, but she seems to gradually walk it off, which is an improvement. Her spirits are good. I've moved to the guest room downstairs so she doesn't have to do stairs at all, and thankfully our rental cabin is one level. I think the gabapentin makes her sleepy, so she's been cooperative about the restricted activity. :thumbs-up Thanks for checking on her!

Curious that the gaba makes her sleepy! Never noticed that on either of my boys. What's her dose?

300 mg every 8-12 hours. I've been giving it with breakfast (7ish) and dinner (4ish) just for convenience's sake, since it's a holiday week and our schedule will be all over the place. From my reading it sounds like it's not unusual for it to cause lethargy at first, but she should adjust after a few days.

Her body will acclimate to the gabapentin in a few days. If you do need to walk, a supportive bootie might help her be more comfortable.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Good. This sounds encouraging. Gabapentin *can* have a sedative effect - I noticed that with two of mine and another reason, if possible, to increase the dosage slowly.

A cabin for Thanksgiving sounds lovely. Until then, sleeping on the couch, yep, you're a good dog mom!!

Her body will acclimate to the gabapentin in a few days. If you do need to walk, a supportive bootie might help her be more comfortable.

Thanks! I think I have a therapaw around here somewhere. She never was a fan but you've seen her toes so you can imagine why it might be challenging! :lol