So, The Dog Is Purple Now....

Okay, perhaps purple is a strong choice. I'm not real good with colors but a brownish/light purplish hue.

He's a 3.5 year old red fawn male that we have had for 5 months. We finally won a 4 month battle (not the war) with hookworms and are just now getting to the point where every poop he takes is not diarrhea. His butt hair has mostly grown back from his track days. All good things.

Over the past few months, his "undercoat" has been darkening. It is easiest to see it on his belly. His belly used to be mostly white. The "purple" is creeping down from the sides. He now has some speckling and the strip of white on his belly has become narrower. Many of his nipples have darkish rings around them, whereas they used to be hard to find. His legs seem darker than before.

Meanwhile.....if anything, he seems healthier and happier. I've had some powerful vet bills since adoption to get him healthy, fully vaccinated, dewormed, etc., so I don't want to haul him to the vet for another load of tests to find out that....yep, he's purple.

So, I'm inclined to do nothing, nickname him Barney and take a wait and see approach.

But, I don't want to be one of those owners who ignored their dog's transition to muppet until it was too late. Anyone have a similar experience or able to comment that my dog will probably explode if I don't get this looked at?

I have had some hounds change color as well. Goldie was a brindle whose brown part of the brindle became deeper and reddish rust brown and brighter, beautiful really, after I put him on Seameal. Before it was a pale buff color. I have also had several hounds whose belly skin got really dark, almost black, in the spring and summer I think from possibly laying in the sun etc. They were not sun burnt ever but the skin still darkened. So in the absence of other symptoms I wouldn't worry about it. IMO it probably means better nutrition is bringing out the best in him hehe.

Nothing to worry about, IMHO. I've had a few hounds whose skin color changed dramatically but not consistently with the seasons. One was a red fawn whose butt and belly skin would turn a dark grey-purple, then a lighter pink-purple. One of my current red brindles will turn darker on his face and legs in the winter. Kinda like a striped bay horse or a German shepherd. Very handsome.

Enjoy your purple boy!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Does he like to sun bathe? That will definitely do it :) I've seen a lot of fawns with purple-ish skin coloring.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Does he like to sun bathe? That will definitely do it :) I've seen a lot of fawns with purple-ish skin coloring.

Thanks to all for responding.

Though we do have a fenced yard (3.5 foot picket), I don't let him out there to lounge. Between the hookworm and the diarrhea, I monitor his outside activity 100%. Also, we haven't had a whole lot of sun since we got him and they are calling for snow again this weekend. This is the south for pete's sake!

I'm transitioning to the 3rd different kind of dog food (IAMS green bag) and perhaps that is having an impact. Also, I switched from Interceptor to Advantage Multi (topical) to battle the hookworms, so that could have an impact as well I suppose.

But so far the consensus seems to be let purple dogs lie, which is what I was hoping to hear.

Don’t worry, I don’t think your dog is turning into a muppet. :D My Lila is a red fawn who came to me with light pink skin on her underside. It started turning grey/purple in the summers to eventually being dark all the time. Maybe it’s just a function of ageing.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Yep, Johnny is a red fawn boy who loves to sunbathe--and thus he is purple-bellied in the summer! Even through the glass of the door and all the hair he grew this winter.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I think we need a photo :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.