Sileo Worked For Annie

A few weeks ago I started a thread about Sileo, which is a treatment for dogs who have noise aversion. Unfortunately, I've had to use it this weekend and it worked!!!

Last night about 6:30, neighbors on the street behind me started setting off firecrackers. Just one or two at first, so I quickly administered the Sileo to Annie, who was already up, panting and leaning into me as if I could save her. Thankfully, no more were set off for about 20 minutes and in that time, the Sileo took effect and Annie, who had settled back down in her bed, only raised her head with interest, as if I had dropped something on the floor, and then put her head down and laid there, with no reaction at all

The fireworks were not continuous. A few would be set off then nothing for 20 minutes or so, which is just terrible for a dog because they think it's all over and then BAM.

I could not believe how well it worked. I watched Annie closely and her demeanor was as it usually is in the evening: sort of sleeping but not solidly because she keeps an eyes on me. When I settled down in the chair to read, she then went to sleep, as is normal.

I administered the Sileo about 6:40 and it lasted about 3-1/2 hours, at which time we were headed to bed and for some reason, the firecrackers had stopped.

Pro: It works for Annie with no side affects.

Pro (at least for me): Annie always takes meds easily and this was no exception. It was easy to insert the syringe between her gum and cheek and easy to depress the plunger.

Con: It almost takes a degree in engineering to get the syringe to work. LOL I admit I'm not good at putting things together/setting up, but there were written instructions as well as pictures -- and I'm a word person, pictures don't do it for me -- so I got it eventually. This was a con for me, but it's also a pro because it's impossible to squirt out the gel until the syringe is set up for use, at which point the syringe locks and it has to be set up again for use.

Con: For a large dog, there's only about 2-1/2 to 3 doses. With this being a three-day weekend, I don't have enough. If I had known it would work, I would have bought two syringes.

Con: It's expensive if you're buying for a lot of dogs. The syringe cost me $32, which is affordable for me because I have just one dog.

Con: Once activated, the contents has to be used within two weeks, at which point anything left must be tossed.

Back to pro: IT WORKED for Annie. All the cons don't mean a thing to me because it worked for my precious girl. It was such a relief to see her be her normal self.

Edited by Feisty49

So happy to hear this worked for Annie. Thanks for the detailed review as it gives me more info when I ask my own vet about Sileo.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This is great to hear! Reports on the trainer list serve I'm on so far have been positive as well. There are some people reporting it didn't do as much as they would have liked for their stormphobic dogs, but its important to keep in mind that it has been tested for noise phobia, not storm phobia. I suspect for dogs who's issue with storms is the noise and not the atmospheric changes it will work well.

I have high hopes that this medication can help a lot of dogs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is it available at your vet? We haven't been able to get it.

Yes, my vet, Albany County Veterinary Hospital, was able to order it about 2 months ago, shortly after it was available. Now they have it in stock. I would think your vet could get it too.

Guest MnMDogs

Yes, my vet, Albany County Veterinary Hospital, was able to order it about 2 months ago, shortly after it was available. Now they have it in stock. I would think your vet could get it too.

Thanks- I should have asked them to order, I thought I could get on Alllivet but it's back ordered. Then I started to worry since Greg has never had any sedation since we've had him and I think this is he same drug used in sedation? Anyway thank you so much for posting your experience.

Thank you for your detailed report!!! I need to get some for Bowie. It's cheaper than driving 100 miles up to the mountains to Idyllwild, where fireworks are not allowed, and finding a place to stay. That ride would be very difficult for my 13 year old gal, too. Mercifully, she didn't much care about fireworks and her hearing loss has helped with the small amount of caring she does maintain.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Really good to know. Thanks so much for the trial notes and analysis.

And, happy it worked so well for your pupper :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yay, glad it worked !!!

I tried Acepromazine on Ruby last night, and it was horribly sad. I tried to give her one in a pill pocket, but the little stinker chewed up the pocket, and spit out the pill. It was pretty wet though. Then I gave her another pill in some cream cheese. Within a half hour, she was out. Ignoring the fireworks, but out cold. When I put her out a couple hours later to potty, she couldn't walk and we had to help her. She went out, laid on the grass, and never did potty. My husband brought her in and helped her to her crate, where she didn't move all night. This morning she is still groggy. I had tried 1/2 a pill a week ago with no results.

So I don't know if she got part of the one she spit out or not. Tonight I will give half, then add by the quarter if needed.

I hate fireworks !

Karen

Yay, glad it worked !!!

I tried Acepromazine on Ruby last night, and it was horribly sad. I tried to give her one in a pill pocket, but the little stinker chewed up the pocket, and spit out the pill. It was pretty wet though. Then I gave her another pill in some cream cheese. Within a half hour, she was out. Ignoring the fireworks, but out cold. When I put her out a couple hours later to potty, she couldn't walk and we had to help her. She went out, laid on the grass, and never did potty. My husband brought her in and helped her to her crate, where she didn't move all night. This morning she is still groggy. I had tried 1/2 a pill a week ago with no results.

So I don't know if she got part of the one she spit out or not. Tonight I will give half, then add by the quarter if needed.

I hate fireworks !

Please don't use Acepromazine for anxiety. Acepromazine is a sedative and has NO anxiety relieving properties. The result is that the dog is unable to function normally while still having the same level of fear, which can often lead to an increase in anxiety over time. Any vet who is still prescribing Ace for anxiety is unfortunately way behind the times. Alternative options that have been around for some time are Xanax or Valium. For dogs for whom those don't work, Trazodone is a newer drug that has proved quite helpful. Trazodone can cause sedation, but that is *in addition to* relieving anxiety, which is better than using nothing. These are all drugs that take effect rather quickly and wear off reasonably quickly as well so they are appropriate for things like fireworks, thunderstorms, etc.

ETA: Just in case I left any doubt ;) I think you are better off using nothing than using Ace again. Obviously I would much rather you get an alternative, but if your vet is not reachable in the next couple of days you are imo better off putting on fans/radio/TV to drown out noise as much as possible and setting her up in a comfortable place away from the noise with something to do like her favorite chew or frozen stuffed kong. Also, taking potty breaks at times when they are less likely to be going off and coming straight back inside to minimize risk that she will be exposed.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad to hear it worked! Sweep doesn't mind fireworks too much (knock on wood), but her thunderphobia is pretty bad. We finally got her a Thundershirt a couple of weeks ago which seems to help a bit, but I'm filing this info away just in case. Also, my vet posted on Facebook about Sileo the other day, so I know they're carrying it and it'll probably be tried on many Nashville-area greyhounds this weekend.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

http://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/why-you-shouldnt-use-acepromazine-for-cats-and-dogs

Truth is though, while acepromazine, a very powerful and effective tranquilizer, may make it look like your dog or cat is handling the fireworks or thunderstorm well, they are actually suffering just as much, if not more… they just can’t show you or do anything about it!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits