Licking Making A Wound

Guest TeriD

Rosey is licking her leg so much it's getting very irritated. Right now we are keeping it clean but what can we put on it? Bacitracin maybe? Should we wrap it? Should we cone her? Never dealt with this before. I'm pretty sure her licking started after I washed her blankets. I didn't even think about the detergent irritating her skin. But I don't know if the detergent has anything at all to do with it at all. It's only this one spot. Any personal experience will help me. And in the mean time I'm googling it. Thanks!

I'd muzzle her so she cannot lick it, then clean it. I'd let it be and not wrap it as air can heal most things.

I'd rewash her blankets and use white apple cider vingear for the rinse cycle (when you'd add fabric softener).

I use the ALL free with no scents or other additives. So when I wash my greys stuff it just gets clean without any added smells that drive him nuts.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I just put her bedding in the wash and ran it through without soap. Just in case it's the detergent. I've obviously washed her bedding before and didn't have this outcome. I've been brain storming with my husband and I think it might be something she does in the crate at night. I'm making a nice nest in my room for her tonight. And hope and pray that she settles in and go to sleep. I'm sure once it's a consistent thing she will get used to it. Looks like I'll be getting out her muzzle. Plus I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow just to get on top of it and not let it get worse.

I'd muzzle her so she cannot lick it, then clean it. I'd let it be and not wrap it as air can heal most things.

I'd rewash her blankets and use white apple cider vingear for the rinse cycle (when you'd add fabric softener).

I use the ALL free with no scents or other additives. So when I wash my greys stuff it just gets clean without any added smells that drive him nuts.

:nod

Muzzle and re-wash

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She may have seasonal allergies--tis the season right now. Often they will focus on one area. I would ring your vet and ask about antihistamines you could try. Depending on the location of the lesion you could cover the area by dressing her-long sleeve t-shirt or if it's a back leg you could put the t-shirt on backwards. Lots of tricks available--where is the affected area?

It's the hind right leg on the spindle part of the leg between the tendons. Going to the vet today. She needs her nails trimmed and her weight checked anyway. Never thought of the tshirt trick!

That has a bit of steroid in it so, hopefully it will reduce any itchiness. It will also,help,to,dry up the lesion. Now you need to keep her from licking.

I'm on it! Lol so far so good. Actually I lie...she JUST went for it as I'm typing. Thankfully she is easily redirected.

My San Tan Snuggles kept licking a sore on her hock on her right back leg and it would not heal. I took one of my sock tops and kept it covered with tape wrapped around the sock top and bottom, not touching her skin so it would not get in her hair. I stopped putting medication on it. The medication just kept it wet. I just changed the sock top when it got dirty. She stopped bothering it and it soon healed. Once it healed 100 percent, I took the sock top off and she never licked the area again. It took about three weeks for it to go away. (It was in the area where she had a broken leg repaired when she was racing. The one vet looked at it in the beginning to make sure it was not a result of her previous surgery.)

She also had a sore of an unknown origin on the outside of the same thigh. In that case, I stopped putting on the medication and covered it with a gauze pad. I did have to tape it and make it large so she could not get to it. It again healed nicely in about two to three weeks. I had to cut her hair on the underside of the tape when I removed the bandage. But the hair grew back. I really like the tee shirt idea for that area. If she gets one in her hip area, side or tummy, I will surly try that.

She has not had any problems since. Snuggles has a long way to go as she is recovering from GME. Doing better all the time.

We used 4-legged jammies for Disco. He didn't care about the pink flowers on them. :bgeorge

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest KayGreat

Hi! We've been struggling with the same problem - in the same spot, even - with our almost 6 year old Diego. We'll be watching this thread carefully to see if anyone can offer an explanation or solution.

It started right around this time of year last year - we live in the desert Southwest, so it's possible there's a seasonal connection. Last year it was a problem from Nov-March, then it resolved, then started up again late this October. We walk him at minimum an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening out in the desert, and he has access to his fenced yard during the day; our working hypothesis is that it's some plant or pollen that he's allergic to. It wasn't an issue the first year we had him.

Here's what we've tried, not that any of it has worked well:

antibiotics - this helped clear up skin infections inside his legs from licking, but once he was off them he began licking anew

prednisone, short-term - helped heal up but did not address underlying cause

muzzle but he found ways to lick right through

Quadritop ointment - we still use this and have been able to avoid oral antibiotics this year by being vigilant with Quadritop and keeping wounds covered

elimination diet - we changed foods to prescription Hills venison protein d/d and nothing else for months; eventually, over the summer, we began adding a few other foods back in (yogurt & cheese!) and we don't think they are the culprit

fish oil / no fish oil / fancy omega 3 balanced fish oil

10mg Zyrtec daily - this seems to help a little with keeping itching and nosedrips in check

Apoquel - he's currently been on this for 3 weeks but no evidence that it's helping, unfortunately

Amitriptaline - no impact on licking

Melatonin at bedtime - this mitigates some of the 3-4am licking and helps him sleep in until 5:30am :nappy

hot spot spray with hydrocortisone - not soothing enough to get him to leave it alone

Grannick's bitter apple - a suggestion of getting bitter apple on him is often enough deterrent to stop him licking while we're watching but we wouldn't use it on broken skin, obviously

Really, our only good strategy has been keeping the areas he wants to lick covered up.

We've been using pants, socks when needed, or 4 leg pajamas and vetrap wrap at the cuffs to keep him from pushing up the sleeves. Sometimes he wears a long-sleeved "doga" made from a shirt since he started working on his front leg.

doga_zpslrwd7etq.jpg

We're heading to the dog dermatologist in the next few weeks and will post here if we find anything that helps! We'd love to hear if anyone else has had success dealing with this.

Edited by KayGreat

KayGreat

I'm surprised that you said prednisone didn't work. I had Kasey on pred to control hot spots from allergies for the last 6 years of his life. He was on 10mg on an as needed basis, but that was long after years of food trials, tests to see what he was allergic to, etc. He started on a very high dose to get it under control, and slowly we weaned off until it was manageable.

Save yourself from more guess by just getting a blood tests done to find out what he's allergic to. A regular vet can do this for you and send the blood work off to a lab, at least then you'll know what to start avoiding. Skin testing is more accurate, however he would have to be off of any medication for at least 6 weeks prior. Kasey couldn't be off of pred for more than a day when we were doing our investigations.

The funny thing about allergies, he may have been fine for many years and something just pushed him over the edge and he became intolerable of just about anything. Food he may have been eating for years prior could now be an underlying issue. It takes time to sort this stuff out.

In the meantime, I also used (as you have been) hydrocortizone cream on the spot, that gave him great relief (and it was just over the counter stuff). I also sprayed CS (colloidal silver - which you can also try in gel form that might stay on his skin better).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest mgodwin

Ginny did the same thing on one of her front legs earlier this year. What worked for us was 1 benadryl tablet PO BID, Neosporin + pain relief and bag balm 10 mins after the neosporin BID for about a week.

ETA: Oops! I slipped into abbreviations without even realizing it. PO = by mouth, BID = twice a day.

Edited by mgodwin