Lump On Eyelid

Josie

We noticed a little lump on Otis eyelid..it's slowly growing.. we will go see the vet to see what it is...
anyone have experience with this? it does not seem infected or swollen.. the eye is normal looking.. does not seem painful either..
I did a photo montage of Otis eye over the years.. it's been there since 2014 and growing slowly...

Otis-eyes_zpskuxpdjdp.jpg

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Looks like a meibomian tumor. They are benign but, can grow to be bothersome to the pet and may need to be surgically removed. It's a rather easy procedure but, will require general anesthesia. Perhaps have it done at the same time as another procedure like a dentistry.

Kingsley had one that got quiet large and after a needle-aspirate was determined to be mast cells.... did have it surgically removed (which they closed with Staples-- which just seemed gruesome)

If you have a doggie-ophthalmologist you could visit, that was who did our surgery (our regular vet did the needle-aspirate herself since he was so calm)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest FordRacingRon

Looks like a meibomian tumor. They are benign but, can grow to be bothersome to the pet and may need to be surgically removed. It's a rather easy procedure but, will require general anesthesia. Perhaps have it done at the same time as another procedure like a dentistry.

We never got the official name for it but my 12 1/2 year old had one sort of like that and I think that is what it was. And it did start to grow and become bothersome because it rubbed on her eyeball and started to ulcerate it. We had it removed. The entire process took an hour from when they put her asleep until she was wide awake and good to go. I think the surgery took 20 minutes max. I was a total wreck. I had it removed because, as others here stated, it will bother her and eventually could become really painful.

We didn't go to the doggy ophthalmologist because that would have been too much, we had a very grey savey vet as the anesthesiologist and a great surgeon. But,,the dodgy eye doctor would have done it with a laser and twilight sleep (but not in our budget).

PS: Leia's was right on the eyelid so aside form growing out, it was also growing in (the eye stain proved it).

thanks for your reply..

we have an appointment on November 10th to see the vet about this. I keep you posted...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE
the vet says it's cyst and should be remove within 6months since it's already taking 20% of the eyelid... we will go forward with the operation (nothing scheduled yet, will save up some money first and in a few months we will go ahead with this).

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest FordRacingRon

UPDATE

the vet says it's cyst and should be remove within 6months since it's already taking 20% of the eyelid... we will go forward with the operation (nothing scheduled yet, will save up some money first and in a few months we will go ahead with this).

I owe CareCredit a kidney and a lung for as much as I owe them because of Leia

• 2 weeks later...