Rough Nose.

Guest xengab

Guest xengab

My new hound has a weird nose.

The front flat nostril part, is normal wet and looks how a dogs nose should.

But the top area where the nose meets the skin/hair is dry, rough and kinda cracked looking.

He came this way to us (3 weeks) and nothing was said about his nose so we figured it would get better with a better diet.

Is there something we can do to help it? Is this an ex racer thing? He doesn't rub or act like it bothers him. He hasn't worn a muzzle in over 2 weeks (figured that might be the cause).

Guest Downtownhoundz

I sell a balm for rough, dry, cracked paws ,nose and elbows. It is all natural vegan ingredients, it's called "Paw Silk". You can find it on my web site. downtownhoundz.net

If he's new, it may just be dry sunburned skin. My new girl was in Florida before she retired and she too has a dry nose on top. I am quite familiar with discoid lupus but I really don't think it is that. I've been giving her sardines and coconut oil and the nose is already showing improvement. Mine has dry skin overall, and the vet said there was no point in even considering anything medical about it until she has been home a few months.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest xengab

His ear tips are fine, only other place he has dry skin is his elbow area and he has slightly bald butt but they said that will clear up with good diet.

I will try the coconut oil.. In or on him? i guess in that area on will be in..LOL

His skin/coat is rather good compared to the others that came in the same haul. (they got 30 greyhounds in one go).

Just unsure of how fast things would improve, and Im fine with giving him more time. Had him 4 weeks on the 24th.

And I'll try to get a better photo of his nose later. The splotches on his whiskers are peanut butter.

Fish oil (or better yet sardines) is even more important. IN him. Omega 3 is essential for skin and coat health.

My girl had pieces cracking off the edge of her nose a week ago, and it looked all rough like your boy's, and it's already getting MUCH better -- I inspected tonight. Discoid lupus causes nose issues, but not all nose issues are discoid lupus. I truly believe that if it's just the top of the nose it's from sun.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Rubbles_Mom

His skin/coat is rather good compared to the others that came in the same haul. (they got 30 greyhounds in one go).

Just unsure of how fast things would improve, and Im fine with giving him more time. Had him 4 weeks on the 24th.

I've had Rubble for 7 weeks and I've just now within the past couple days seen an improvement in his coat, crate butt, and dandruff.

Guest xengab

Sorry, Busy weekend.

I will get him some sardines to eat (ive a cat so if he doesnt eat them she will).

I also found online some sunscreen/moisturizing cream.

Figured if I can tackle it from both sides it might help, protect against future sun and healthy oils in his diet.

He also wont stand still for me..LOL Trying to brush his teeth is a huge game for him.

His ear tips are fine, only other place he has dry skin is his elbow area and he has slightly bald butt but they said that will clear up with good diet.

I will try the coconut oil.. In or on him? i guess in that area on will be in..LOL

And I'll try to get a better photo of his nose later. The splotches on his whiskers are peanut butter.

Just FYI, his butt may never grow hair even with a cushy retired life. Some of them just have bald butts. If it's really bald he could even win a "shiney hiney" contest :D

Love the peanut butter on his whiskers- getting spoiled already!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Anything I can put on it to help with that?

Try vitamin E capsules, maybe 400 IU. Use a pin to pierce the capsule & squeeze the contents on his nose. Try to rub it in... before he licks it off. :) It's worked for a dog of mine whose nose always got dry & rough. It was also what a vet prescribed for my sister's dog who had discoid lupus.

Guest xengab

I'm not too worried about his butt, as where his skin is bald it's black and not pink or light colored.

I can grab some vit E while out today, and put it on him at night. Just one more thing he will might enjoy. He is super cuddly and loves a good massage.

I have a boy with presumed discoid lupus - not diagnosed on biopsy, but very consistent clinical signs. Photos of his nose below. I give him 4 regular strength 1000 mg fish oil daily (2 with each meal) and 400 I.U. vitamin E with each meal. Definitely saw improvement after starting the fish oil and vitamin E.

carter1.jpg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an update. We took our grey back to the vet after his nose hasn't improved much and got told it was Lupus, very mild and to just treat with Vit E and fish oil and sunscreen when he goes outside. Got told to just watch it and everything should be ok.

She did not biopsy it as no real medication was needed and giving him the vitamins wont hurt.