Goodbye Doc (Barefoot Doctor) 20/08/2001-15/04/2015

DocsDoctor

I’m sorry to say that I had to let my dear old chap go yesterday. His back legs had been getting weaker and weaker, and then last weekend his digestion started playing up. I could see he was beginning to go downhill fast, even though he remained his usual smiley self, and the vet agreed with me that it was much better to take action before he began to feel miserable or we had a real emergency. So yesterday he enjoyed two very wobbly little walks, a sardine lunch, a tripe stick and some time in the sunshine on the lawn. Then the vet came and put him gently to sleep on his own bed, with his head pillowed on his favourite teddy bear and me stroking him. He left us very peacefully, even contentedly.
Doc (Barefoot Doctor)
20 August 2001 – 15 April 2015
‘The Best Greyhound In The World’

Docs%20last%20day%20004_zpsfbvhmagj.jpg

The house feels very empty today, but I know I did the right thing. Somehow I have never felt consoled by the idea of a Rainbow Bridge - instead we had developed a more matriarchal theory, as you can see below. The collar mentioned is the one he's wearing in the photo - now tucked away inside my desk.

Sun and Moon and Stars

(Doc's last collar)

Sun and Moon and Stars

That's what I gave you

Every day you wore them

Hanging round your neck.

"The Lady up there loves all animals," I would tell you sometimes.

'Especially the greyhounds. They are Hers.

You are Hers.

So some day you can go to Her:

I will be there to see you off, I promise.

Then slip off this collar, to keep as my memento."

So run to Her now, dear.

Run to join Her pack.

Join them as they chase past the moon and then the sun and through the stars

Barking and joyful and free.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

It is always a blessing to know that you did your best for them. I'm so very sorry that it was time to say goodbye to your beautiful Doc :grouphug

I'm so sorry it was time, but you gave him the most loving gift. Beautiful poem.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry that it was time to say goodbye to Doc. He had a wonderful long life with you and a peaceful, loving end. Beautiful poem.

:f_white

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I will add Doc's name to the list of Bridge Angels. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry to see you had to say goodbye to Doc. What a beautiful picture of your handsome boy. The lovely poem is moving and very special. Rest well sweet boy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

From all of your posts, I have always thought that you and Doc had a very special bond. Your poem is beautiful. A day too soon is better than a day too late. Still, I am so sorry that it was time to brighten the skies with Doc's beautiful star. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:f_white :f_white Run free Doc.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.