Possible Uti Or Something Else?

At vet waiting for urine results. Zuri (10 yo) has been drinking more water than normal, asking to go out when he wouldn't otherwise and has had 2 accidents. I strongly suspect UTI and wanted to start him on ABs while waiting for u/a results from lab, but my vet is skeptical. So she's looking at urine in house.

Urine is concentrated so I highly doubt kidney. He has no other symptoms of anything wrong so I wouldn't guess anything like Cushing's or diabetes. Otherwise, vet suggested stones. She said if he were female, yes, but UTIs uncommon in males, especially without history.

Just curious if anyone has any quick input. Obviously urine may give us a clear answer, but otherwise it may be a battle if I insist on meds. I wouldn't normally but I'm just strongly suspicious that's what it is given presentation and its been going on for over a week so I don't want to withhold meds if they could help him.

Thoughts?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think the "uncommon in males" thing is a myth. I wound up at the ER one Sunday morning when Sam was straining to pee and just producing a bit of blood. They did x-rays--no stones--and put him on antibiotics after an in-house urinalysis.

I've owned three girls and two boys. Sam had the only UTI in the bunch.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Males can get uti's too--agreed though that it's less common than in the girls. My own boy just had a raging uti. I wasn't able to culture the urine sample this time but, when I first adopted him I did run a culture--he had a proteus infection (which was easily resolved with clavamox).

I did have an abdominal rads done just to rule out stones.

Well his urine was of course completely clean. She said no blood pointed away from stones or I would have done an x-ray. She ended up offering to do the meds but insisted on a culture so we could extend the ABs if something grows. Makes sense, although the $200 for the u/a and culture hurts. Anyway, will just see what happens. If there's no change and especially if other symptoms develop then we know we need to pursue further testing. I'm hoping my gut is right and the ABs clear things up. The only other thing I could thingk was his LS was making it harder for him to hold it, but that doesn't explain the drinking, or possibility that the dry air from the heat running more and/or the cold is causing the drinking, but this hasn't happened in previous winters. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She gave him a thorough going over externally, especially in his groin area/around his penis and didn't feel anything so I think yes? I don't know much about prostate exams in dogs. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest BlueCrab

When our Leyland started drinking and urinating a lot more, we did the full urine and kidney workup with nothing found. Ended up being congestive heart failure, but it took us quite a while to find it. Not sure if it just wasn't "finable" or if my vet just wasn't looking for the right signs. Hope it's nothing like that, but with my own dogs I will always make sure that's considered under similar circumstances. We're heading into our second year with him functioning well with CHF managed by meds and regular checkups. Apparently his heart just wasn't able to manage the fluids so he was peeing it out - frequently. The meds completely solved both the frequent urination as well as the frequent drinking.

Thanks for that info Carolyn. Was his urine dilute when this was happening, like you'd see with renal failure, or was it concentrated? I will definitely keep it on my radar if things don't resolve and we don't find a more obvious explanation.

Gotta get a bit more personal when doing a prostate exam ;-)

I thought that might be the case. :lol She didn't go there. :P

sugar level? when felix went thru his crazy urinary thing(excessive drinking and urination- bursting ) the first thing that was checked was sugar. then specific gravity, biliruben,(sp) cultured urine, then i kept track of his input. what a royal PITA. i kept annie crated and measured his water for 2 days. i tried measuring output as well- i guestimated it in the end since 2am i forgot to run out and collect it.

his intake was 3.5xs the normal amount for his weight. then my vet thought possibly diabetes incipidus. he administered a shot of vasopresin tannate and it was like a light switch was turn on or shall i say off. 2 months of treatment ( each month we waited to see when he really needed the next shot) and knock on wood- he's been o.k. from what i have read in the care of the racing and retired greyhound handbook, DI can be stress induced. (yeah, like our dogs lead a stressful life).

good luck...